Leaving Time Leaving Time discussion

what did people think of the ending?

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Monica Shoshanna part of me thought that the ending was quite clever, but part of me was disappointed, but at the same time it gave me hope that there's an afterlife. I really wanted it to be like a proper thriller though. I did and didn't like the ending if that makes any sense.

Dramapuppy Yeah, I know what you mean. I love twists in books, but this one... broke the rules. I didn't know it was a (view spoiler) novel. I thought it was realistic fiction, so it seemed like cheating when suddenly it wasn't realistic anymore.

Meredith Realistic may depends on your beliefs. Some do believe in the things touched on in this book. I don't, personally.

Karolyn I loved the ending. I thought that it made the book. I was a little over learning so much about elephants and seemed like nothing was coming together and the end cleared that all up. I did enjoy know how elephants grieve and help each other as a family. But I loved the ending.

Alex Graham I'm not sure how I felt about the ending. I liked that it was such a surprise. But I didn't like the idea that Jenna was the one who was dead. It's sad when a parent dies (which I thought would be Alice), but it's absolutely devastating when a child dies. And the way Jenna died was horrible! I guess it was just a little too gruesome for me.

message 6: by Rae (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rae I think the ending was an absolute surprise. The whole book I was envisioning so many different outcomes. I thought Alice would be found,I thought they were keeping Alice locked up at Nevvies. Never ever did I imagine that they were all dead. I wanted to re-read the entire book over. Loved the ending because of the surprise but not the outcome.

Karolyn Rae wrote: "I think the ending was an absolute surprise. The whole book I was envisioning so many different outcomes. I thought Alice would be found,I thought they were keeping Alice locked up at Nevvies. Neve..."

Me too Rae.... I loved the way it ended too. I belong to a book club hardly anyone but me really liked the ending. And they hardly discussed it. Really ticked me off.

Karolyn Karolyn wrote: "I loved the ending. I thought that it made the book. I was a little over learning so much about elephants and seemed like nothing was coming together and the end cleared that all up. I did enjoy kn..."

I agree with you too. Too much elephant information for me. But I will say I was impressed by some of the things I learned about how sensitive and family orientated.

message 9: by Rae (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rae Karolyn wrote: "Rae wrote: "I think the ending was an absolute surprise. The whole book I was envisioning so many different outcomes. I thought Alice would be found,I thought they were keeping Alice locked up at N..."

Our book club discusses it next week. It wasn't how I wanted it to end, but if Alice wasn't going to be found alive..although she was, which is what you are hoping for the entire book. THe elephant stuff did get boring and some lines of elephant knowledge I skimmed. I will say though, I found myself googling elephants after, they are fascinating creatures and I'm glad I learned something.

Lorrie I listened to the audio version of this book while driving, which might be the way to go, because I loved all of the elephant info. The reader did a nice job with it and I didn't get tired of it. The first reality check for me was when the story skipped to Alice in Africa at her new elephant sanctuary. Alice mentions her mother being dead. I went WHAT?????? This was the first moment I knew something had pivoted. The story had a similar effect to "I see dead people" or whatever the name of that movie was. I thougt the book was very good.

message 11: by Kristin (last edited Nov 11, 2016 12:01PM) (new)

Kristin Cantor yea how can (spoiler alert)Nevie whonwas like a grandma to her kill her?Alexandra wrote: "I'm not sure how I felt about the ending. I liked that it was such a surprise. But I didn't like the idea that Jenna was the one who was dead. It's sad when a parent dies (which I thought would be ..."

Renee I was irritated by the ending. I felt like I was drug along believing it was all as it was. I feel like she jerked the rug out from underneath the reader on this one. It was misleading. I am all for twists in a novel, but this one just wasn't fair. Referencing message 10.. I felt exactly the same after watching the movie with "I see dead people." Not a fan of the way it twisted.

However, i loved the elephants grieving and the mother child relationship parts to the story.

message 13: by Jean (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jean For me, I loved it. I was sneering at the plot the entire time until the end:

1. Virgil's so upset by a case, he FAKES his death?! Who does that?
2. The grandmother CAN'T BRING HERSELF to report her missing daughter? Who does that?
3. A mother runs away and NEVER checks on her daughter? That one happens, but good people don't do that. What kind of awful woman was this Alice?
4. The grandmother is never mentioned in the backstory, but appears to live in the same small town.

It took me a week or so to read. The entire time, I'd mention to my husband how stupid this book was. I still have some unanswered questions, but the ending answered these 4 main ones above for me. Well done.

Francesca Pashby I did not see the ending coming, but I went with it ... and cried like a baby.

Francesca Pashby And I am now watching lots of youtube videos of elephants!

message 16: by Viny (new) - rated it 3 stars

Viny Ah! The ending of this book, to be honest, had me dumbfounded. I did not expect that at all which, I guess, is a good thing because the book wasn't as predictable as I thought it would be. However, I was like 'Oh, come on! Ghosts? Seriously? Ghosts'. Ghosts wasn't even close to a Jodi Picoult ending, you know?

Carol Yeah I felt Like I had read a big fat lie....How can all the characters have been ghosts? Well mostly all

Kasey Rawn The ending blew my mind. I know that Jodi Picoult loves to end her books this way; with a huge plot twist. I was not ready for the ending. I get so caught up in every book of hers that I read! Her books always seem so well rounded to me, and her character development is amazing.

message 19: by Rita (new)

Rita I am unhappy. Waste of my time. I never want to know another fact about elephants. The ending was unreal.