SOS: Serious Overload of Series discussion

Getting to Know You > Favorite Series That You Love to Re-read

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Morgan | 1 comments Just wondering how many of you have series that you always like to go back and read all over again? When I was in my early 20's and discovered Harry Potter I would literally read every book over and over until the next one came out and do it again! lol I think I read that series well over a hundred times. I have others that I re-read often as well. I'm not the only one am I?

message 2: by ladymurmur (new)

ladymurmur | 670 comments There are at least two of us! :-) Some are favorites from growing up, others are more recent discoveries. Let's see...

The Belgariad (and sometimes also The Mallorean - sequel series, and Belgarath, and Polgara) by David Eddings

The Harper Hall of Pern trilogy (now available in ebook!!!) by Anne McCaffrey

The Oz books, by L. Frank Baum

The Dark is Rising sequence, by Susan Cooper

The Adept series, by Katherine Kurtz and Deborah Turner Harris

Dresden Files, by Jim Butcher

Monster Hunter International, by Larry Correia

The Kushiel's Legacy books, by Jacqueline Carey

Young Wizards & Cat Wizards, by Diane Duane

Callahan series, by Spider Robinson

Song of the Lioness, by Tamora Pierce

❤Stephanie ღ♥ღMrs Hannibal Lecterღ♥ღ I love rereading series especially ones that I really love.

Harry Potter
Immortals After Dark by Kresley Cole
Cowboys by the Dozen by Tina Leonard
Bride Quartet by Nora Roberts
Black Dagger Brotherhood by J.R Ward
New Species by Lauren Dohner

message 4: by Sandra J (new)

Sandra J Weaver (sandraweaver) | 145 comments I often reread several books in different series. Right now I'm rereading the Sisters of the Heart series by Christine Feehan. I've also reread (many times) the Chronicles of Narnia (C.S. Lewis), the Lord of the Rings trilogy (Tolkien), the Pack and Pride series (Laurenston), the Drake Sisters (Feehan), the Elder Races (Harrison), and all the Arcane, Harmony, and Rainshadow series (Jayne Castle)

(Loved the Oz books and the Dark Is Rising books, too, but haven't read them in ages-hmm)

message 5: by Steph, Just keep swimming … (last edited Aug 10, 2015 10:27AM) (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28263 comments Oh, you're definitely not the only one! Miss Sandra is always re-reading. I've re-read some, not as many as I'd like b/c I'm always drawn to new books.

But, those I've re-read are:
Ilona Andrews / Kate Daniels
Nalini Singh / Psy-Changeling
Tiffany Reisz / Original Sinners (ER)
Patricia Briggs / Alpha & Omega
Karen Marie Moning / Fever

Although, sometimes I just re-read the previous book before moving onto a new rls, esp if there's been more than a year between books.

message 6: by A book away from an episode of hoarders (last edited Aug 10, 2015 12:04PM) (new)

A book away from an episode of hoarders (fidgit77) | 740 comments I find myself rereading often. I probably read Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban about 500 times too. :)

The main books I have to reread lately are:

The League - Sherrilyn Kenyon
The Parasol Protectorate - Gail Carriger
Black Dagger Brotherhood - J.R. Ward
and any of Shelly Laurenston

and I used to reread the Sookie books by Charlaine Harris before reading the next in the series but I still haven't read the final book in the series yet. I need to do a series reread and just get it out of my TBR pile already.

When I was growing up I read Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret, the Flowers in the Attic series and The Stand so many times the pages fell out of the books. lol

message 7: by Sandra, Kindle Operator Licence Required (new)

Sandra | 23497 comments As Steph said, I'm a re-reading addict. Though I don't always read a whole series or in order, just how the mood takes me. After all I know how the books/stories fit together already.

So books I re-read regularly include
Shelly Laurenston/G.A. Aiken - all of them - Pack, Pride, Dragonkin, Magnus Pride
Jayne Castle/Jayne Ann Krentz - again all of them - Harmony, St Helens, Arcane, Rainshadow, Dreamlight, plus all the single books of hers.
Viola Grace/Zenina Masters - an acquired taste - scifirom & shapeshifters
Gail Koger - Coletti Warlords

There are more but I can't think of them at the moment.

message 8: by Yolanda (new)

Yolanda Ramos (yramosseventhsentinel) | 36 comments I also re-read many books. Harry Dresden, Anne Rice's vampires, J D Robb, Bernard Cornwall, to name a few.

message 9: by Susanne (new)

Susanne Cherry | 4 comments If I really love a series I will download the audio book so I can relive the experience while cleaning or when I have a difficult time falling asleep. Harry Potter is one of my favorites also another one would be the Forever Evermore by Scarlett Dawn. I just pop in my head phones and before I know it my cleaning is all done and I'm hunting for more durt to clean up lol.

message 10: by Lee (new)

Lee | 357 comments Lover Revealed (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #4) by J.R. Ward I have read Lover Revealed a few times
(favourite in the series) and a lot of the BDB series

what often happens is I will read a book and later have
the chance to listen to it as an audiobook.

Lothaire (Immortals After Dark, #12) by Kresley Cole One of my favourites is Lothaire by Kresley Cole on audiobook
The narrater Robert Petkoff is excellent

The Raven Boys (The Raven Cycle, #1) by Maggie Stiefvater The Dream Thieves (The Raven Cycle, #2) by Maggie Stiefvater Blue Lily, Lily Blue (The Raven Cycle, #3) by Maggie Stiefvater The Raven Cycle by Maggie Steifvater in book form
and lately the series in audio again the narrater Will Patton
brings these books to life in such a special way.

message 11: by Nelta (new)

Nelta I'm guilty of rereading Victoria Danann's Knights of the Black Swan series. Seems I always see something Ive overlooked or fall for that pointed eared vampire hunting Elfster even more...if that's possible!

message 12: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Banks (catherine_banks) | 5 comments I'm really not a huge re-reader, but anything by Ilona Andrews is worth a re-read.

message 13: by Sandra, Kindle Operator Licence Required (new)

Sandra | 23497 comments Yep, I've re-read all the Kate books & the new Burn For Me, many times. Not so keen on the Edge books for some reason, maybe I've grown out of my fantasy phaze.

message 14: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Banks (catherine_banks) | 5 comments Sandra wrote: "Yep, I've re-read all the Kate books & the new Burn For Me, many times. Not so keen on the Edge books for some reason, maybe I've grown out of my fantasy phaze."

I loved the first Edge book, but the others, while good, weren't as amazing as the rest of their books. Burn For Me was amazing! I can't wait for White Hot, but we still have a year to go!

message 15: by Steph, Just keep swimming … (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28263 comments I loved listening to the Edge books. Many times, the audiobooks take me back to whatever I was doing while listening. I listened to those while packing up to leave AU.

message 16: by Bear (new)

Bear Randolph | 3 comments Ilona Andrews is one of my go to reread authors. I have read Burn for Me, more times then I can count. Harry Potter is another that I never tire of. I'll reread everything Carl Hiaasen once every couple of years. The 1st 8 Sookie books ill have another go at but, you could not pay me to go further then those. I love Rachel Morgan series and will probably repeat Cat and Bones as well.

message 17: by Sionna (new)

Sionna (simplystrange) I can't count how many times I've read the Harry Potter series. The Night Huntress series is another go to series-- I still need to read the last few books but, I almost don't so that it never has to finish haha.

message 18: by Evan (new)

Evan | 4 comments I read The Belgariad, The Mallorean, The Elenium, and The Tamuli by David & Leigh Eddings at least once a year. Also, when Jim Butcher comes out with a new book in the Dresden Files, I read through the entire series before I read the new one.

message 19: by ladymurmur (new)

ladymurmur | 670 comments Evan wrote: "I read The Belgariad, The Mallorean, The Elenium, and The Tamuli by David & Leigh Eddings at least once a year. Also, when Jim Butcher comes out with a new book in the Dresden Files, I read through..."

Another Eddings re-read fan here! :-) Sadly, those books have been near impossible to get in the US on kindle/ebook. I was trying to be "responsible" with my book budget when they all showed up available a while back, so only bought the Belgariad, Belgarath, and Polgara. Days later - they had ALL disappeared. sigh. At least I have the ones I have.

My last re-read of the Dresden Files included all of the shorts & novellas in chronological order, and it was a fantastically enjoyable experience.

Another beloved series of which I'm about to indulge in my first re-read: Incryptid, by Seanan McGuire, with all the shorts/novellas.

message 20: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Dixon (deboracracy) Every now and then I get an irresistible urge to reread all of A Song of Ice and Fire. I blame the TV show Game of Thrones for its growing (and glaring) inconsistencies.

message 21: by Sam (new)

Sam | 1011 comments I enjoy re-reading the Harry Potter books, the In Death books, Anne Bishop's Black Jewels books, her The Others books, Patricia Briggs' Mercy Thompson books, Ilona Andrews Kate Daniels books and their Innkeeper books and Connie Suttle's many intertwined series.

message 22: by KritikaB (new)

KritikaB | 53 comments There are several series that I really like and I some times re-read some of the books.

Renee Ahdieh - The Wrath and the Dawn
Patricia Briggs - Alpha & Omega
Kristin Cashore - Graceling Realm
Cassandra Clare - The Infernal Devices
Grace Draven - The Wraith King
Dianne Duvall - Immortal Guardians
Elizabeth Hunter - Elemental Mysteries / Irin Chronicles
Maria V. Snyder - Study series

message 23: by Elle (new)

Elle (whut_the_elle) | 1 comments The Belgariad series by David Eddings
Every 5-6 years, I’ll come back to it!

kittykat AKA Jo Tortitude | 324 comments I'm not much of a re-reader but my most recent one which will pop up intermittently even once the series is complete is my beloved Wolfsong (Green Creek, #1) by T.J. Klune . Beside that, my most frequent one prior was The Witching Hour (Lives of the Mayfair Witches, #1) by Anne Rice which I am due another go at soon and at some point the majority of Interview with the Vampire (The Vampire Chronicles, #1) by Anne Rice will require my attention again to get me up to date with them. I can also see myself re-reading my current read Nevernight (The Nevernight Chronicle, #1) by Jay Kristoff Godsgrave (The Nevernight Chronicle, #2) by Jay Kristoff Darkdawn (The Nevernight Chronicle, #3) by Jay Kristoff at some point.

Also as I got rudely interrupted during these series, (ie there were no more books left for me to read at the time) I will probably reread all of these again once they are completed Moon Called (Mercy Thompson, #1) by Patricia Briggs Alpha & Omega (Alpha & Omega, #0.5) by Patricia Briggs and those already completed that I need to reread from the start are Halfway to the Grave (Night Huntress, #1) by Jeaniene Frost Witchling (Otherworld/Sisters of the Moon, #1) by Yasmine Galenorn but all of these will probably just be a skim read to remind me of events as it's been so long.

As much as I LOVE some books, there are just too many others that call to me to keep re-reading the same ones over and over unless they literally imprint on me - like Wolfsong and The Witching Hour.

message 25: by Steph, Just keep swimming … (last edited Jan 10, 2020 09:01AM) (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28263 comments I tend to re-read prior to the end of a long wait in between releases, but typically I'm not a big rereader either. I have read all of IA's Innkeeper Chronicles twice if you count the blog version then the published version. And, Kate Daniels was a fun re-read.

message 26: by ladymurmur (new)

ladymurmur | 670 comments Elle wrote: "The Belgariad series by David Eddings
Every 5-6 years, I’ll come back to it!"

I just finished re-reading the Belgariad, Mallorean, Belgarath, & Polgara late last year (actually, listening to them all on audiobook). I seem to do that about every other year at this point.

Just restarted Rivers of London (audiobook), and am about to start a completely reread of the Dresden files, including all the shorts, novellas, and graphic novels, in chronological series order, getting ready for the release of the Novel Which Shall Not Be Named in July.

message 27: by Ophelia (new)

Ophelia | 82 comments I have been and am still hopelessly devoted to the Black Dagger Brothers. Through the years as each new release comes out I reread starting with the first to finish with the last the day before the release. Last year I began to incorporate the Legacy books to this tradition.

message 28: by Steph, Just keep swimming … (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28263 comments That's dedication! I cannot binge that series. There's just too much "shitkickers" and the like repeated throughout each for me to handle a back-to-back reread. LOL! But, I do really enjoy listening to that series. I've fallen behind (last BDB read #15.5) and haven't yet started Legacy. But, I'll eventually get back to it and check out the spinoff. By then, I'll also have the first in the second spinoff (The Jackal Prison Camp) to be read, too.

message 29: by Eden (new)

Eden (sunflowereden) | 2 comments I have a couple of series I'm addicted to - and any time I find myself between books, I just re re re read them(:
1. Fae Chronicles & Playing With Monsters, Amelia Hutchins
2. Afterlife, Stephanie Hudson
3. Fantasyland, Kristen Ashley
4. Alexa O'Brien Huntress, Trina M. Lee

....I thought there was more, but that's all I can think of.
Happy Reading

message 30: by Amy*skye.rhyme (last edited Oct 14, 2020 01:52AM) (new)

Amy*skye.rhyme | 8 comments Stephanie wrote: "Just wondering how many of you have series that you always like to go back and read all over again? When I was in my early 20's and discovered Harry Potter I would literally read every book over an..."

After the 3rd or 4th re-read, I begin to wonder if it's even POSSIBLE for these series to fall off the shiny happy pedestal I keep them on.

BloodLust (Rise of the Iliri, #1) by Auryn Hadley BloodLust by Auryn Hadley (Rise of the Iliri #1)

Written in Red (The Others, #1) by Anne Bishop Written in Red by Anne Bishop (The Others #1)

Death Becomes Her (The Kurtherian Gambit #1) by Michael Anderle Death Becomes Her by Michael Anderle (The Kurtherian Gambit #1)

Abducting Abby (Dragon Lords of Valdier, #1) by S.E. Smith Abducting Abby by S.E. Smith (The Dragon Lords of Valdier #1)

message 31: by Sandra, Kindle Operator Licence Required (new)

Sandra | 23497 comments I've found myself re-reading R.J. Blain/Susan Copperfield series'. These are just the 1st books in the series I've read, there are a couple more series I haven't started yet.

Playing with Fire (Magical Romantic Comedies, #1) by R.J. Blain Booked for Murder (Vigilante Magical Librarians, #1) by R.J. Blain Hypnos (Seeking the Zodiacs #1) by R.J. Blain Blood Bound (Lowrance Vampires #1) by R.J. Blain Storm Called (Royal States, #1) by Susan Copperfield

A book away from an episode of hoarders (fidgit77) | 740 comments The past few years I have consistently re-reading

The Immortal Guardians
Miss Fortune Mysteries (so fun)
Shelby Nichols
Monster Hunter International
Incryptid
and
The Others

message 33: by Cathy (new)

Cathy (vishousfan) | 7 comments I've been rereading the Pride Series by Shelly Laurenston every time a new book is released. I've reread the Honey Badger series too. The Others by Anne Bishop is another go to series. I've just started rereading the In Death series by J. D. Robb. I feel like I'm visiting some old friends.