Star Wars Bookworms Book Club discussion

Aug 2015 - Dark Disciple > Dooku Must Die! (spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bruce (new)

Bruce | 137 comments Finally finished what is the best Star Wars novel in the new canon. However, I have one nitpick. There is a scene where Ventress, Kenobi and Skywalker are on a mission to rescue Vos. They sneak onto the bridge of a ship expecting to find Vos, but instead they find Dooku! It's been stated throughout the book that the Jedi must execute Dooku, but now that he's standing right in front of them, Skywalker alone duels with him while Ventress and Kenobi spend their time searching a database for Vos' whereabouts. Why aren't you helping Skywalker to fight Dooku??? Even at one point, Skywalker tells them to go get Vos and he'll handle Dooku alone. Really? Kenobi thinks Skywalker can handle fighting Dooku by himself even after the events in AOTC? Kenobi thinks it's more important to find Vos' cell than to help fight and kill Dooku, which is the overall goal of the Jedi in this novel? I see no urgent reason to obtain Vos that would prevent them from taking down Dooku first. Skywalker's duel with Dooku was lightly glossed over and there was no explanation about the outcome of that fight except Skywalker eventually meeting back up with Ventress and Kenobi after Vos' rescue. The novel lost points for me because this scene makes no sense in the context of the entire story. Even after this scene, the Jedi discuss the need to track down Dooku to kill him. Um, they had a chance and blew it.

message 2: by Kerry (last edited Aug 10, 2015 02:29PM) (new)

Kerry Bruce wrote: "Kenobi thinks it's more important to find Vos' cell than to help fight and kill Dooku, which is the overall goal of the Jedi in this novel? I see no urgent reason to obtain Vos that would prevent them from taking down Dooku first. ..."

Interesting point. Many good action thrillers and military stories build on that very idea. "Leave me here to die," the loyal comrade coughs, "achieve the objective, everybody is depending on us to succeed." Like going for the destruction of original Death Star.

"Stay on Target"

message 3: by Bruce (new)

Bruce | 137 comments Hahaha Exactly! I got him. You go take care of that other thing.

message 4: by Albert (new)

Albert Nguyen One has to remember that in AotC Anakin was still a padawan and in the years since he's been knighted and gotten a lot stronger so I fully believe he can handle Dooku. I agree though, there's little reason to prioritize saving Vos over killing Dooku. I guess we wouldn't have this problem if it had been Grievous instead of Dooku.

message 5: by Scott (new)

Scott Mobley | 36 comments Bruce wrote: "Finally finished what is the best Star Wars novel in the new canon. However, I have one nitpick. There is a scene where Ventress, Kenobi and Skywalker are on a mission to rescue Vos. They sneak ..."

Excellent valid points that I totally missed. Had I noticed this, it, too, would have struck me as very odd. It actually knocks the novel down a peg or two for me also. What's more interesting to me now is why I, myself, did not read those passages the same way when I read them. Lol, I just thought I was paying attention. Again, thanks for pointing that out.

message 6: by Matthew (last edited Aug 11, 2015 02:08PM) (new)

Matthew Rushing | 52 comments It's a valid point. You do have to remember that Anakin has fared pretty well against Dooku in TCW, in fact he had a great duel with him in the Obi-Wan undercover arc at the end. The only real answer is that Dooku can't die till Ep III so if the plot does not have the focus on saving Vos at that time, then of course Anakin, Obi-Wan and Ventress should be able to kill Dooku at that point.