Sci-fi and Heroic Fantasy discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Past nominations (closed) > October Classic Novel Discussion Topic selection complete

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Please use this topic to nominate a Classic Science Fiction or Fantasy novel you wish to discuss as a group in October (beginning October 1.)

(A Classic novel would typically have been published prior to 2000 and be considered a popular, trailblazing or important work of science fiction or fantasy. Presumably, any actual "classic" is still in print!)

You need not have read the title you are nominating; after all, you'll be reading along. Feel free to say why you are making the nomination, if you care to. If your nomination is selected by the group, you'll be expected to take the lead in the discussion.

We read two different SF/F novels and one short SF/F work each month: One is a "Classic" SF/F novel which was written before 2000; that discussion starts on the 1st of each month. One is a "Contemporary" SF/F novel, which was written after 2000; that discussion starts on the 21st of each month. We also read one or more short stories each month; that discussion starts the 11th of each month. You can always check on our upcoming SF/F Novel discussion topics by scrolling down on the Group Homepage to the "Upcoming Reads” section.

You can review past group selections in the "read" section of our Group's BookShelf. If you wish to continue a discussion of one of those past selections, all those discussion topics are still open in our Book Discussions area.

Note that this is our discussion selection for October. Vonda McIntyre's Dreamsnake has already been selected as our September Classic Novel discussion topic.

Nominations will be open through Sunday, August 16, when I'll collect the nominees and post a poll so members can choose among them.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Herovit's World by Barry Malzberg

I think this is his best novel....it's about a burned-out hack SF author who's life is being taken over by his greatest creation, a Perry Rhodan type from along-running series Herovit churns out like clock-work...

I know it's still in print in digital form...Audible has the audio book, and any well-stocked used book store should have a paper copy...Amazon and the usual suspects have them as well from third-party sellers

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Well, I don't see myself reading a Malzberg roman a clef mocking authors from the 60s & 70s he hated. At least The Flying Sorcerors & Inferno were fun and imaginative.

I noticed we've never had a group read of Ray Bradbury. So I nominate....

Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury

message 4: by Jason (new)

Jason (alerum68) | 11 comments a canticle for leibowitz by Miller

message 5: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 15, 2015 07:19AM) (new)

Jason wrote: "A Canticle for Leibowitz by Miller"

We had a discussion of A Canticle for Leibowitz back in January. We're always happy to continue a conversion, if you want to add some comments.

message 6: by Jason (new)

Jason (alerum68) | 11 comments sorry, haven't had a chance to go through all the old discussion topics yet.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Jason wrote: "sorry, haven't had a chance to go through all the old discussion topics yet."

No problem. Keeping track is sort of my job. (Though come to think of it, trusting my memory isn't that good a plan, either....)

message 8: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 2177 comments I was going to put in a nomination, but Bradbury has my vote.

message 9: by Nefeli (new)

Nefeli (galacticon) | 16 comments I suggest Dune by Frank Herbert (idk if the group has already read it)

message 10: by Mason (new)

Mason Engel "Hyperion" by Dan Simmons might be a worthy choice if it hasn't already been discussed

message 11: by Charles (new)

Charles | 35 comments I second Dune. IMO It doesn't get much better than this.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Nefeli wrote: "I suggest Dune by Frank Herbert (idk if the group has already read it)"

Dune is one of those perennial topics, so if you'd like to comment on it, please do: discussion of Dune.

It occurs to me that there are some books the group is discussed so long ago that hardly anyone from the original discussion is still here. If I were feeling cleverer, I'd try to come up with a way to have an organized revival.

message 13: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 16, 2015 05:05AM) (new)

Mason wrote: ""Hyperion" by Dan Simmons might be a worthy choice if it hasn't already been discussed"

It turns out Hyperion has had a previous discussion as well. However, it's old enough (and sparse enough) that none of the participants are currently active in the group. So, I think it's fair for a "formal" revival if current members would like to discuss it. Unless someone objects, I'll go ahead an put it on the poll, and if selected we can have a fresh discussion with currently active group members in October.

I'll think of this as an experiment/

message 14: by Mason (new)

Mason Engel Great! I'm looking forward to it!

message 15: by Michele (new)

Michele | 274 comments I nominate Titan by John Varley

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Announcement chyron
Thank you for the nominations. A poll to select our Classic Science Fiction / Fantasy Novel discussion topic for October (starting October 1) is now open. If you're interested in participating in the discussion of one of our nominees, you can vote here for your choice. Please only vote if you plan on participating in the discussion of that work.

Note that this is our discussion selection for October. Vonda McIntyre's Dreamsnake has already been selected as our September Classic Novel discussion topic.

This poll will be open through Sunday, August 23.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Reminder: this is the final day to vote for the Classic Science Fiction / Fantasy Novel you'd like to discuss with the group in October.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Announcement chyron

Our selection for our Classic Science Fiction / Fantasy Novel discussion for October is

Hyperion (Hyperion Cantos, #1) by Dan Simmons Hyperion by Dan Simmons

The discussion will begin October 1.

message 19: by Chandler (new)

Chandler Brett (chandlerbrett) | 2 comments Is it too early to propose options for November?

Have any of these been covered?

Arthur C. Clarke's Childhood's End or Rendezvous at Rama
Anne McCaffrey's Dragonriders of Pern
Larry Niven's Ringworld
Alfred Bester's Demolished Man
Orson Scott Card's Speaker for the Dead or Red Prophet
John Crowley's Little Big
Fritz Leiber's Lankhmar books
R. A. Salvatore's Drizzt books
Gene Wolfe's Latro in the Mist or Shadow of the Torturer
William Gibson's Neuromancer

message 20: by Andreas (new)

Andreas Chandler, yes it is too early, G33z3r will create a thread for proposals.

Concerning your other question: I didn't check your list, but you can do that yourself - just click on the group's "Bookshelf" link and look for the "read" shelf:
https://www.goodreads.com/group/books...

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.