What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. YA Novel A girl who is living with her mother who has had a breakdown

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Miriam Neuwirth | 1 comments I believe this book was published in the 90s (I read it in the mid to late 90s anyway). It is a young adult book about a teen girl. The girls mother had a breakdown (possibly because the father died) and sits in front of a broken television ripping up newspapers. The house is a mess and full of boxes and trash but the mother will not let the girl throw anything out or fix it up. The girl sees a sideboard in a store (A used store not a department store) that she wants to make her own room as nice as possible, but she can't afford it. The old man who runs the store allows her to help him out by cleaning and fixing up the store in exchange for the sideboard (the store is messy and unorganized). I believe at some point in the book the girl also meets and falls for the store owners grandson. The girls mother gets worse and goes away for a while (to a hospital I think), while she is gone the girl fixes up the house -unpacks all of their nice things from the boxes, cleans and paints. She is excited to surprise her mother when she comes home but her mother freaks out and loses it again. Someone from the hospital is there with her and calms the mother down a bit and possibly the mother goes away with him and leaves the house to the girl- I don't remember.

That is all I can remember and I'm not sure if there are some major plot points I am forgetting. TY

message 2: by SparksofEmber (new)

SparksofEmber | 946 comments Pretty sure these aren't it but they have similar theme with the mother falling apart: Tiger Eyes or Glass Girl

Maybe A Piece of Heaven?

message 3: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39281 comments Mod
Miriam, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

message 5: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39281 comments Mod
Lobstergirl wrote: "Miriam, are you still looking for this or did you find it?"

No response in 2 years. Moving to Abandoned.

message 6: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 19035 comments I'm 100% sure it's Mel, but OP will probably never know. :(