Lorelai, You'll Never Die Lorelai, You'll Never Die question

Homicidal Female
Joel Stottlemire Joel Aug 09, 2015 09:16AM
So there's no doubt that Lorelai is a strong female character. My feeling is that she's also sort a genera buster in that she sometimes takes the protector role usually played by, makes her own decisions about sexuality, and feels free to take the law into her own hands.

What's your feeling about "wild women" in fiction? Is Lorelai a role model character?

That's an interesting question, and I'm not sure how to answer it.

I guess I'd say this: in an apocalyptic world, where survival means everything, yes, she's definitely a role model character. She stays alive, kicks ass, and manages to salvage important parts of her humanity. And Lorelai is a strong female character, without being stereotypically slotted into the role of "strong woman"--she has her issues, just like anyone else, but what makes her strong is her ability to keep moving forward.

Outside of that type of setting, it becomes more difficult to figure out, because she's not a "bad" person, but there's still the question of whether her actions can truly be justified, regardless of the situation she's been put in... I'd probably still say she is, but I can easily see how some people might not agree.

I don't know a ton about the topic of "wild women" in fiction, but the way I see it, Lorelai is definitely a role model character for our time. It's not that everything she does is worthy of praise, but that she struggles with her own limitations and challenges as a human being in ways that readers can draw inspiration from, despite the fact that we're not living in a post-apocalyptic wasteland like her.

I don't know if I see Lorelai as a wild woman. I see her more as just simply trying to find her way and purpose. But maybe my definition of "wild woman" is different from you guys. I think that she's admirable. She's taken her circumstances and has grown in order to survive. She's not let it get her down and she's not had to be led by the hand in order to do it.