Urban Fantasy series' discussion

General > Finished Magic Shifts

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Arch (new)

Arch first a great read and so much to say!
out of respect i will reveal nothing!!!

other than my big annoyance (view spoiler)

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 17 comments Hmmm. I guess I don't feel that way. The pacing and the evolution of the characters and the plot have been great. If they had wrapped everything up this fast I would have been beyond disappointed.

I feel like there have been no fillers. This book was showcasing Curran, Julie, and Kate. It was also important to setup Curran outside of being the Beast Lord.

message 3: by Grazzit (last edited Aug 09, 2015 03:46PM) (new)

Grazzit | 21 comments IMHO this is the best UF series and atm my fav series of all. Some series are great but make the mistake of making their heroes too powerful (Dresden).

Or during the series the author finds one thing that they liked early and just keep doing it over and over (Angst and sex LKH).

Kate has grown, the world has changed, and the bad guy is awesome. He isn't someone that can just be killed, he doesn't want to just kill them. That is something that can be used for many great scenes.

The greatest thing in the series to me is the dialog, which include Kate's thoughts. Love them.

Now that There is just a small group, we can have books about the group, about the city, and at some point Kate may have to take a trip! Can you imagine Kate being outside her city and the trouble that would cause?

Some of her old friends don't like her now, She will have to deal with that. 2-3 books there. The people of Atlanta themselves must be getting tired of all the wierd stuff going on and react. Then there will be a whole bunch of books about challenges. Kate is linked to the Shapeshifters, Merc Guild and sort of the Witches, how will that play out. The Order is still a huge problem. Will Kate be forced to lead? Will Kate have to expand her territory?

If you stack it against the last book, It's close IMHO, but the scene in Magic Breaks of the throne room givers it a slight edge.

Please give us 20 more books :)

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 17 comments Grazzit wrote: "Please give us 20 more books :)"

Amen!

message 5: by Arch (new)

Arch Don't get me wrong, this is a great series.
just saying the series could move along past her father next couple books. An introduce new evils.

Imagine what would happen if she did dethroned her dad and the power vacuum it creates. Yes in her current state the Authors keeps her as the extreme underdog . Does she have to be the biggest power to remove her dad. last page epilogue hmm.

slowly backs away from hornets nest :)

message 6: by Shera (Book Whispers) (last edited Aug 09, 2015 06:13PM) (new)

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 17 comments I get your point. But Roland is a badass, if he went down fast or easy it would be lame. Besides the more well developed the evil villain the more intense.

Plus, Magic Shifts did have a evil power other than Roland. Roland had more like a cameo.

When she handles Roland it will be really interesting to see that power vacuum indeed. And it's a great place for the series to go.

message 7: by Grazzit (new)

Grazzit | 21 comments IMHO nothing permanent needs to be done with Roland, He and Kate will live for centuries, and ATM they have sorta a cold war going. Sometimes it reads like he will mess with her continuously and sometimes like he is just watching. Since we have it shown to us through Kates eyes we get her perception. But she was raised to hate and fear him. Roland could spend the next 20 years taking over more of north america and leave her mostly alone.

Moving past Roland doesn't have to mean killing him or trapping him, it could just be him and Kate mellowing in their relationship. We readers and certainly Kate can't completely understand a man who for 2000 years was ruler of most the world, then went to sleep and woke up in the 1900's

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 17 comments Grazzit wrote: "IMHO nothing permanent needs to be done with Roland, He and Kate will live for centuries, and ATM they have sorta a cold war going. Sometimes it reads like he will mess with her continuously and so..."

Well said.

Either way I'm very curious how Andrews will decide to take it.

message 9: by JP (new)

JP Reads (jpfantasyreads) | 785 comments Mod
I like the anticipation of drawing this relationship out with Roland. They've had a lot of enemies in the past that were easily discarded in one book, but Roland is one of those guys that you want to stick around. I like the direction this is heading.

message 10: by Arch (new)

Arch After kicking the hornets nest. I am back after licking my welts.

I will say it again, it was disappointing of the lack of progression of the daughter father story line. Especially after the last book.

I can be patient! At this pace I May kick the Bucket before any confrontation/ resolution happens.

Will there be any? Mentioned before Roland has lived for thousands of years and clearly it has been established that Kate is a huge under dog.

Correct me if i am wrong. Kate is operating on what she has been prepared and told About Roland. Molded to treat him as the enemy. Did he eliminate them for taking Kate away from him? Only to reinforce what they were telling her.

Is Roland testing her or forcing her to get stronger with her power words? knowing she will be a target By his enemy's aka djinn

Is Roland Just being a doting Father from afar wanting to be more involved in her Life?

Is Kate's vision of Roland holding Kate's future baby. A hint to my last question.

Can a shifter/somewhat human couple have children?

Better yet Does Roland have his Fingers in getting Curran and Kate together some how. For his own Purposes?

Whew that was a lot of what Ifs.

message 11: by Grazzit (new)

Grazzit | 21 comments IMHO, the way Roland has been built up, the only way Kate can "win" anytime soon is to reach an accommodation with him. He is just too strong/knowledgeable and has tons of resources.

However he seems to be a huge believer in "Conflict builds strength"

What i see happening in the near future 3-4 books, is Kate dealing with life in atlanta and Hugh/The People messing with her. With an added dose of random "old powers" checking Kates power.