Ultimate Popsugar Reading Challenge discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
2015 Weekly checkins > August 7 Week 31

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Juanita (new)

Juanita (juanitav) | 723 comments Well, here we are in August. Only four weeks of summer remain before the kids return to school. Only five months remain in 2015 ... so many books so little time.

This week I read Love Story by Erich Segal for a book published the year you were born. I've seen the movie many times and the book read almost as a screenplay for the film.

I have six prompts remaining and I am not excited about any of them:
More than 100 years old
Supposed to read in school
Own but never read
A play
Christmas
Started but never finished

How about you? If you are like me how are you staying engaged in the challenge? If you are new to the challenge or to our group, what is your favorite prompt?

I love hearing what everyone is reading so read on, friends!

message 2: by Sara (last edited Aug 10, 2015 05:32AM) (new)

Sara | 1508 comments Like you I'm not terribly excited about my remaining prompts. A book written the year I was born, a book I should have read in high school, a pulitzer prize winner, a book that made me cry, a book that takes place in my hometown. I am excited about a book set during Christmas but I'm waiting until later in the year to read that one.

I just finished The Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet for a book with antonyms. Am struggling to settle into a new book!

message 3: by Katherine (new)

Katherine (kiik) | 158 comments I completed Clockwork Angel for the first book in my trilogy, and I just started the second book yesterday. I was hoping this would go a bit quicker, but it's turning out to be a bit of a b. I checked the trilogy out as an ebook and didn't realize that each book was around 500 pages. Sigh. Well, I'm committed now. I suppose I'll catch up next month.

message 4: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 5 comments Any suggestions for Classic romances that were actually good?

message 5: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Nicole wrote: "Any suggestions for Classic romances that were actually good?"

I am planning to read I Capture The Castle by Dodie Smith. It was first published in 1948, gets good ratings, average of 3.99. Listed as romance and classic in genres.

message 6: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 5 comments Looks good, thanks!

message 7: by Melanie (last edited Aug 09, 2015 05:12PM) (new)

Melanie Nicole wrote: "Looks good, thanks!"

We will have to let each other know how we liked it! It seems like most people read Jane Austen and I am looking for something different.

message 8: by Nicole (last edited Aug 09, 2015 07:29PM) (new)

Nicole My kids would be so jealous to hear others still have 3 weeks left of summer! We are back on Wednesday.
This week I read The Summer Before by Ann M Martin "from your childhood" prompt. This was a Babysitter's Club prequel and such a fun throwback for me. That series was really the catalyst for my life long love of reading. I'm glad I chose something fun for this prompt. I'm at 31/50. I have quite a few left.
As I lose motivation, I'm just taking my time. Taking longer breaks between books and longer to read. It's all about balance right?

message 9: by Kaci (new)

Kaci | 67 comments I actually decided to tackle my less interesting prompts first so some of the easier ones (female author, unread author etc) are still to come. This is definitely helping keep me motivated. I was going to read Gone With the Wind for my classic romance but the size is daunting. We'll see! This week I finished my trilogy.

message 10: by Sara (new)

Sara | 1508 comments Kaci wrote: "I was going to read Gone With the Wind for my classic romance but the size is daunting."

I would suggest trying the audiobook version. I tried reading Gone With the Wind years ago and never finished it. This year, I opted to get the audio version and found that it moved much faster!

message 11: by Emily (new)

Emily (emilyesears) I started reading Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail for a book with antonyms in the title yesterday. I wasn't planning to read it at all, but I was at my cousin's house with nothing to read and decided to pick it up from her bookshelf.

I had actually put myself on hold for A Little Salty to Cut the Sweet: Southern Stories of Faith, Family, and Fifteen Pounds of Bacon at the library to satisfy the prompt, but I'm going to take myself off the list now.

I have 13 prompts left, including the trilogy one, so 16 books left to read.

message 12: by Megan (new)

Megan (mghrt06) | 540 comments I'm at 31 prompts complete so I'm still moving along. I finished two books last week: one for the contest and one random book. I completed the Pulitzer Prize winning book and I selected All the Light We Cannot See. It was unlike anything that I have read before - I usually stick to the same type of books so it was nice to read something completely out of my comfort zone.

That being said I'm not looking forward to the play, banned book, book started never finished, book supposed to read in school, 100 year old book...who knows maybe one of these will surprise me too and I'll enjoy it.

Still lots of prompts to go but I'm working away at the list as best I can. I still feel confident that I can complete the challenge.

Good Luck.

message 13: by Ray (new)

Ray Jordan I am currently reading " The Boy in the Suitcase" for my book originally written in a different language prompt. I had just finished "This is Where I Leave You " for my movie prompt. I could have easily used that one for my funny book prompt if I didn't have one already picked out. I may do that prompt next.

message 14: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lrclark83) I have some of my toughest categories yet to read but have lined up books for each of them. For the book that I was supposed to read in high school I started Lord of the Flies but find it difficult to stay engaged so I am reading a little bit here and there. For my classic romance I have The Tenant of Wildfell Hall on my bookshelf waiting to be read. And for my book that made me cry I have The Fault in Our Stars but I've been holding off because I haven't really been in a crying mood lately. For my trilogy I just finished The Girl in the Lighthouse which I actually didn't realize it was a trilogy when I started reading it. It was definitely much different (darker) than I expected when I added the first book to my Goodreads list. Happy reading!

message 15: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 530 comments I had a nice week at the beach and managed to read three books. What the Dog Knows: Scent, Science, and the Amazing Ways Dogs Perceive the World for a book that made you cry. It's not a sad book by any means, it just doesn't take much for me to tear up if dogs are involved. The Map Thief for a book chosen for its cover. I can't say I'd recommend this one; the insight into antiques map dealership and the history of cartography was interesting and well researched, the titular map thief was just an incredibly boring person. Appointment with Death I am putting into one of my broad categories like female author or mystery. I really enjoyed it; Christie has several tongue in cheek moments where she makes fun of the detective mystery genre. I'm not sure what I'm going to read next - I'm still working my way through Anderson's Fairy Tales but I can only take so much of that at a time.

message 16: by Julia (last edited Aug 18, 2015 08:45PM) (new)

Julia (_mj_howard) | 18 comments I'm like Juanita, I got to 47/52 about a month ago and am not excited in any of my remaning prompts, I know I'll do them, but I have so much other reading I would rather be doing. Maybe next month.....

And I loved "North and South" by Elizabeth Gaskell for a classical romance but again it is long.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.