2015 Reading Challenge [Closed] discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
2016 Challenge Suggestions > [Closed] Suggestions for 6th Mini-Poll

Comments Showing 1-50 of 53 (53 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Laura, Mod (new)

Laura | 599 comments Mod
The 2016 Reading Challenge will continue the concept of this year's challenge, with 52 weekly topics. Users then choose a book fitting each topic in order to complete the challenge.

How it will work:
The topics for the 2016 RC list will be determined through 13 mini-polls. Each user will vote for their favorite 4 topics in each mini-poll, which will then add up to the 52 topics (13 polls x 4 topics/poll=52 weekly topics). Suggestions for each poll will be open for one week (or until 20 suggestions are received) and then opened up for voting.

Sixth poll:
Suggestions: August 9
Voting likely August 10-17

Rules:
- One suggestion per poll per user
- If you suggested a topic for the 5th mini-poll, please wait 2 days before suggesting a topic for this poll.

message 2: by Francesca (new)

Francesca | 391 comments A book with a male or female pronoun in the title. (Ie. He, she, girl, boy, etc.)

message 3: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie (lewisia) | 28 comments A campus novel.

message 4: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (sawphie) A book about books (in which books play a major part or are an important feature of the context).

message 5: by JoJo (new)

JoJo (jojo2013) | 8 comments A book about an animal/pet.

message 6: by Laura, Mod (new)

Laura | 599 comments Mod
Jeanie, we're trying to open suggestions up to as many users as possible so we're asking that if you suggested something in the previous poll then you wait two days before suggesting another. But I'll put your suggestion on hold until Tuesday :)

Sorry about that!

message 7: by Jeanie (last edited Aug 09, 2015 06:50AM) (new)

Jeanie (lewisia) | 28 comments Laura wrote: "Jeanie, we're trying to open suggestions up to as many users as possible so we're asking that if you suggested something in the previous poll then you wait two days before suggesting another. But I..."

Sorry, Laura!

So keen to make a suggestion that I obviously jumped the gun. As there are only 20 suggestions needed before the poll closes I don't expect you'll still be needing mine by the time Tuesday comes around!

message 8: by Silvia (new)

Silvia Turcios | 304 comments Jeanie wrote: "Laura wrote: "Jeanie, we're trying to open suggestions up to as many users as possible so we're asking that if you suggested something in the previous poll then you wait two days before suggesting ..."

Well, I hope your suggestion gets into the poll at the end! I am very interested in the category that you proposed (a book about an animal/pet) :)

message 9: by Laura, Mod (new)

Laura | 599 comments Mod
They do tend to fill up the first day. But luckily there's still 7 more polls :)

message 10: by Ana A (new)

Ana A (anabana_a) | 414 comments Francesca wrote: "A book with a male or female pronoun in the title. (Ie. He, she, girl, boy, etc.)"

Is it specifically a pronoun or just a male/female word?

message 11: by Francesca (new)

Francesca | 391 comments Oh, both! Sorry I should've made it clearer!

message 12: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Brown | 9 comments A book with an end of times/ apocalyptic theme

message 13: by Debra (new)

Debra Barstad A book about a thing that goes bump in the night

message 14: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (missams) | 6 comments A book you started but never finished.

message 15: by Joann (last edited Aug 10, 2015 07:16AM) (new)

Joann A book with a ghost in it

message 16: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Barstad (maidenoflight) Melissa wrote: "A book you started but never finished."

That would be hard for me, lol. I can't think of any that I started and didn't finish.

message 17: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie (lewisia) | 28 comments Jennifer wrote: "Melissa wrote: "A book you started but never finished."

That would be hard for me, lol. I can't think of any that I started and didn't finish."

'A book you started but never finished' is on the current 2015 challenge too (the last book on the list).

message 18: by Kaye (last edited Aug 09, 2015 10:35PM) (new)

Kaye Wyly | 20 comments A Banned book (even though it is on this year's list...) maybe call the topic a book that has been censored...

message 19: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (sawphie) Melissa wrote: "A book you started but never finished."

That would also be difficult for me, there's only one book I've started but never finished and I'm keeping it for this year's challenge.

message 20: by Tina (new)

Tina | 5 comments Crime.

message 21: by Laura, Mod (new)

Laura | 599 comments Mod
Melissa, Maybe it could be called a "second chance" book?

- That would included books that were never finished but also books that were maybe judged too soon and avoided.

message 22: by Laura, Mod (new)

Laura | 599 comments Mod
Kaye, Maybe "controversial" instead of banned?

- That would open it up to more books and would still include banned books.

message 23: by Laura, Mod (new)

Laura | 599 comments Mod
Just suggestions though! Feel free to ignore me ;)

message 24: by maja (new)

maja chick-lit

message 25: by Laura, Mod (new)

Laura | 599 comments Mod
Tina, is that true crime or any sort of crime story?

message 26: by Tina (new)

Tina | 5 comments Any sort of crime story.

message 27: by Laura, Mod (new)

Laura | 599 comments Mod
Ok, great! Just wanted to make sure I was clear on it :)

message 28: by Ireene (new)

Ireene | 36 comments Francesca wrote: "A book with a male or female pronoun in the title. (Ie. He, she, girl, boy, etc.)"

Male/female pronouns wouldn´t work in some languages. There are people all over the world taking part in this reading challenge but we are not only reading in English. There are langages where there are no male/female pronouns.

message 29: by Sophie (last edited Aug 10, 2015 04:31AM) (new)

Sophie (sawphie) Ireene thanks to you I just learned that! I didn't think any language could work without gender related pronoun. Do you have any example?
(yes, I know it's off topic, but I'm really interested)

To prevent that, we could say in the English title (translated or not)?

message 30: by Camilla (new)

Camilla Sophie wrote: "Ireene thanks to you I just learned that! I didn't think any language could work without gender related pronoun. Do you have any example?
(yes, I know it's off topic, but I'm really interested)"

Finnish.

message 31: by Ana A (new)

Ana A (anabana_a) | 414 comments Ireene wrote: "Francesca wrote: "A book with a male or female pronoun in the title. (Ie. He, she, girl, boy, etc.)"

Male/female pronouns wouldn´t work in some languages. There are people all over the world takin..."

This was clarified that it doesn't have to be a pronoun. It can also be a noun like "girl" or "boy".

message 32: by Ana A (last edited Aug 10, 2015 06:49AM) (new)

Ana A (anabana_a) | 414 comments Sophie wrote: "Ireene thanks to you I just learned that! I didn't think any language could work without gender related pronoun. Do you have any example?
(yes, I know it's off topic, but I'm really interested)

T..."

Filipino! "Siya" is either he/she. "Kanya" is either his/hers. "Siya ay mabait" = "He/She is kind". :)

message 33: by Zaz, Mood Minion (new)

Zaz | 1387 comments Mod
10 (+1 on hold) suggestions so far :)

message 34: by Jess (new)

Jess | 55 comments A book with a number in the title

message 35: by Jess (new)

Jess | 55 comments Ack, that was on this years'! I guess I really like books with numbers in the title.

New suggestion: a book about science!

message 36: by Ella (new)

Ella | 234 comments I don't think we ever said that we can't use some of the same categories as this year.

message 37: by Jasmine (last edited Aug 10, 2015 11:49AM) (new)

Jasmine (pikakejazz) A book with one of the five Ws -or H- (Who/What/When/Where/Why/How) in the title or subtitle.

message 38: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (pagelady) | 155 comments Any genre with something from nature in the title

message 39: by Francesca (new)

Francesca | 391 comments I'll rephrase mine as I didn't write it clear enough (I guess that's what happens when you type in a rush).

A book with a male or female noun or pronoun in the title. Ie. He/she, boy/girl, man/woman, etc.

message 40: by Laura, Mod (new)

Laura | 599 comments Mod
13 down and 7 more to go! (+1 on hold)

- A book about books (in which books play a major part or are an important feature of the context).
- A book about an animal/pet.
- A book with an end of times/ apocalyptic theme
- A book about a thing that goes bump in the night
- A book you started but never finished
- A book with a ghost in it
- A censored book
- A crime story
- Chick-lit
- A book about science
- A book with one of the five Ws -or H (Who/What/When/Where/Why/How) in the title or subtitle
- Any genre with something from nature in the title
- A book with a male or female noun or pronoun in the title (i.e. he/she, boy/girl, man/woman, etc.)

message 41: by Joy (new)

Joy | 40 comments A book set in the country of your ancestors

message 42: by Ed (new)

Ed Lehman | 48 comments a short story collection

message 43: by Camilla (new)

Camilla A non-fiction book.

message 44: by Labeba (new)

Labeba Salameh (aramsteps) | 47 comments Reread one of your favourite books

message 45: by Shelly (new)

Shelly Just to clarify, how are we defining "things that go bump in the night"-- as opposed to "ghosts"?

message 46: by Marina H (new)

Marina H | 272 comments A book written when your mother/father was a teenager

message 47: by Camilla (new)

Camilla Shelly wrote: "Just to clarify, how are we defining "things that go bump in the night"-- as opposed to "ghosts"?"

I've always thought that bumpy things include much more than ghosts, e.g. monsters, vampires etc. Don't know whether this is only my definition though.

message 48: by Zaz, Mood Minion (new)

Zaz | 1387 comments Mod
Same for me, more monsters (under the bed) and vampires, as ghosts are not really just night things.

2 spots left :)

message 49: by Silvia (last edited Aug 11, 2015 08:54AM) (new)

Silvia Turcios | 304 comments I guess, because it's tuesday I am allowed to suggest something :P

A book whose plot is based in a fairytale (twist allowed)

message 50: by Brittany (new)

Brittany (gamerkiti) Shelly wrote: "Just to clarify, how are we defining "things that go bump in the night"-- as opposed to "ghosts"?"

Shelly, I agree with Camilla and Zaz. I would classify "things that go bump in the night" as anything that has to deal with monsters, demons, vampires, ghosts, etc. Basically to me scary/paranormal or maybe even paranormal romance :)

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Twilight (other topics)