Huntsville-Madison County Public Library discussion

Adult Summer Reading 2015 > Friends of the Library Booksale (yesterday) - some observations

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathy (last edited Aug 09, 2015 03:08AM) (new)

Kathy (lyk2read) | 11 comments I stopped by the Friends of the Library 25 cent book sale yesterday. Some observations:

- The event has outgrown the library's small auditorium. You need a space at least four times the size of that room.

- It was uncomfortably and dangerously crowded. If a fire marshal had shown up, the sale would have been immediately shut down or at least 95% of the people asked to leave.

- A 20 minute wait to get in and 30 minute wait to check out, and a room so jam-packed you can't move, doesn't make for a happy event. Not to mention lack of parking and literally a dozen angry people circling around in the parking lot.

- FOTL would've sold more books, but a ton of people just gave up and left, or left much sooner than they would've had it been a more comfortable "book browsing" venue, or dumped the books they'd picked out and left when they saw that it was going to take 20 to 30 minutes just to pay for what they'd picked out.

Suggestions:

- Move to a larger venue
and/or
- "presale" browsing ahead of the sale for FOTL members
and/or
- more "checkout" volunteers when the checkout line is more than 20 people deep (it was about 50 deep when I got in line!)
and/or
- More frequent sales
and/or
Boxes and bags OK, but don't allow pull behind carts in the auditorium.

message 2: by Annie Lee (new)

Annie Lee Phillips (annieleephillips) | 1130 comments Mod
Kathy wrote: "I stopped by the Friends of the Library 25 cent book sale yesterday. Some observations:

- The event has outgrown the library's small auditorium. You need a space at least four times the size of t..."

Good morning Kathy,

Thank you very much for your observations and suggestions about the FOL sale. I am sorry to hear it was like that. I will forward your comments today to our Director of Institutional Advancement, who is the library liaison with all of the FOL groups. Thank you again - Annie Phillips, Eleanor Murphy branch.

message 3: by Annie Lee (new)

Annie Lee Phillips (annieleephillips) | 1130 comments Mod
Kathy wrote: "I stopped by the Friends of the Library 25 cent book sale yesterday. Some observations:

- The event has outgrown the library's small auditorium. You need a space at least four times the size of t..."

Hi Kathy,

I wanted to let you know I have passed your comments and suggestions on to our Director of Institutional Advancement. She said they have already been talking about doing a Friday preview sale, and she is sending everything you have suggested for the Bookstore committee to discuss. Thank you again!