Every Day (Every Day, #1) Every Day question

What Gender Do You Think A Was More Like
WhovianatHearts WhovianatHearts Aug 08, 2015 09:08PM
Its clear that "A" can "haunt" both genders as long as they are around his age. Recently, I was discussing this book and its concept with a friend of mine, and I said "A" was a "he", rather than substituting for a different pronoun. Did you view "A" more as a straight male or a female? Did this in anyway impact the way you thought or felt as you read this book?

Eli (last edited Aug 20, 2015 08:31AM ) Aug 20, 2015 08:30AM   2 votes
I understand what you're saying about A seeming more masculine by the way Levithan wrote A. I still have to just go with A being genderfluid and not being one particular gender, though. Because A could very well be a little masculine and still be in a female's body. Or A could be a little feminine in a male's body.

I feel like A was a boy because it just seemed like that. When A was a girl in the book, it made me feel weird, because I felt like A was a boy.

I always imagined A as a boy, though that is probably just the effect of living in a society that is primarily straight. If A had fallen for a boy, then I probably would have imagined A as a girl. So, I'm going with genderfluid since my judgement is clouded by my own sexual orientation.

I felt A was a boy but that had little to do with the style of writing and A's personality. My two main reasons were that the first body he wakes up in is a guys and secondly that he spends the majority of the book chasing a girl.
I think the author made a big point in not giving A a gender, since he doesn't stay in one body he doesn't really have a gender. A was a consciousness that wasn't defined as male or female.

Despite the chasing of the girl I felt A had a more female personality based on the way A approached certain situations and A's emotions.

I always felt like A was a boy. I don't really know why...

A states multiple times that their gender exists outside the binary, and stating or suggesting that they must be either female or male simply perpetuates the stereotype that people must be "one or the other"... gender was created by society and isn't really real... I don't see why this is even a discussion... Although debating the gender of a fictional character doesn't cause much damage, this really isn't something that readers should discuss. No offense was intended by this comment.