Movies We've Just Watched discussion

Becoming Jane

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Julie (new)

Julie | 25 comments Starts out boring, get's better, ends kind of sad. Not a lot of chemistry.

message 2: by Melissa (new)

Melissa I wasn't too impressed by this one. I got quite a bit bored throughout it. Wished I'd just skipped it altogether.

message 3: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 2 comments I didn't hate it (I find it hard to hate anything involving James McAvoy), but Julie is totally right, they had no chemistry. Which is unfortunate because, in my opinion, the movie was very well cast.

message 4: by Angie (new)

Angie Thought this movie was OK.. I liked the one on PBS better. I thought maybe it was kinda long and that is why it became boring. Though I did like Anne Hathaway as Jane.

message 5: by George (new)

George | 951 comments Saw it on DVD last night. Aside from some snappy dialogue here and there, it didn't have much going for it. Certainly not a film I would choose to see again.

message 6: by Starket (new)

Starket | 2 comments I was disappointed. I am an Anne Hathaway fan and this was not her cup of tea. She actually bored me. You are all right, no chemistry. Mansfield Park was a much better movie.

message 7: by Cathy Berry (new)

Cathy Berry (berrygirl55) | 30 comments Was absolutely disappointed by this film. The pacing was so incredibly slow. I thought the story/script was just a poor imitation of an Austen novel. I also felt that the advertising was deceptive. Since most of her letters/papers were destroyed, very little is really known about her personal life. I'm afraid people may have taken it as a fairly accurate biopic when in fact it was pretty much just speculation. The film did have a great look, though. Costumes, sets, cinematography all top notch.

message 8: by Anna (new)

Anna (olive415) Angie, I would totally agree that the PBS bio was better. The woman who played Jane had so much more spark. The one thing that I really liked about Becoming Jane was the supporting performances; I thought that Julie Waters was great as Jane's mom. I also liked to see how Jane's brother and cousin's (who play a large role in the Jane Austen Mysteries) romance was presented.

message 9: by Josh (new)

Josh | 5 comments Wow! Sounds like this wasn't a popular movie. I quite enjoyed it, but then again, I have never actually read any of Austen's books all the way though. I could tell that the movie was using a lot of speculation and creative license to create many of the details of Jane's life, but I still liked it.

message 10: by Reny (new)

Reny (renny3108yahoocom) | 7 comments I don't like it, but i'm watching it till the end.

message 11: by Gail (new)

Gail D.C. | 228 comments I really enjoyed the movie! IT was a little slow but then this is a story of her life. If any of us here were to have a movie made of there lives would they be blockbusters? None of Jane's books a fast paced. (I know this was a movie not a book) The fact is Jane wrote about her own age. They did not have the Hustle and bustle that we have today. A country life was very quiet. The books and movies of the period all state to some efect how they controled their emotions. They never really showed themselfs emotionaly to others as we do today. I loved the hate/love relationship they had, if they had had the money required I believe they might have been happy. He could have supported her and his family. Although in the end she might have still chosen not to marry so she could continue her writing. Yes I am a romantic.

message 12: by Rachel (new)

Rachel okay, what's wrong with you people?!?! this was one of the most romantic movies i've ever seen. i absolutely loved it. and even if you don't like the story, you get to look at james mcavoy for 120 minutes...how could that be bad?!?!?!?

message 13: by Gail (new)

Gail D.C. | 228 comments thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

message 14: by George (new)

George | 951 comments Well, of course, it's not really a story about her life, it's a story "inspired by" her life. There's actually very little known about her personal life, not enough to fill a movie, certainly. Under the circumstances, the script writers were free to write something at least as interesting as any Jane Austin book, since this is all speculation anyway. I kept waiting for characters from her books to show up as real persons from her life, or something along those lines. As for Mr. Mcavoy's character, he was such a mixed bag in so many ways, it was hard for me to feel his departure was such a loss to Jane. But each to their own. No reason why someone shouldn't enjoy this opus.

message 15: by Cathy Berry (new)

Cathy Berry (berrygirl55) | 30 comments I understand the whole James McAvoy thing, but go see him in Penelope. Then you can look at James & see a better movie.

PurpleObsessor_15 (hunnybunn13) | 16 comments I haven't seen it yet....but I REALLY want to. I LOVE Ann Hathaway. I don't care what you guys say, I'm still gonna see it. :)