Goodreads Feedback discussion

Suggestions & Questions > A few suggestions for improvement

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by This Is Not The Michael You're Looking For (last edited Feb 19, 2008 09:00PM) (new)

This Is Not The Michael You're Looking For | 947 comments These suggestions have probably been made by others (I couldn't specifically find them, but I'll admit to not searching very hard), but I'd like to reiterate even so.

1. Complete sorting. As it currently stands, if one sorts by a field it only does an incomplete sort, not a full sort, e.g., sorting by author only sorts by the last name, not the first name as well (e.g., Richard Adams is intermixed within Douglas Adams). Similarly, if one sorts by "shelves", it actually only sorts by the first shelf for each book, not by any subsequent shelves. (the latter is clearly more difficult since the # of shelves can be both variable and quite large, but at least proper alphabetization of authors should not be that hard to implement).

2. Filtering. Currently one can choose a shelf to display, but I'd like the option of not showing certain subsets of books. Perhaps I want to go to my Fiction bookshelf and view everything other than Fantasy. The primary reason I want this is it will make it a lot easier to find stray books which are not otherwise shelved, but I can see other uses as well.

3. Better edit options after Searching My Books. If one is viewing a shelf, there is a nice Edit option which allows you to select a bunch of books and perform the same action on all of them (e.g., adding all of them to the same shelf). A similar option would be nice for books which turn up from a "search my books" output; one reason to do this search is to find books which you might want to make the same change to and as it stands each has to be edited one-at-a-time.

4. Perhaps it is just me, but there appears to have been a recent change where the fields "I own a copy of this book i'd be willing to sell/swap" and "this review contains spoilers" are now checked by default whenever a new book is added. This seems to be an odd choice for default, particularly the first one (I can see an argument for making the spoiler on by default). I'd personally prefer to see these changed back or have a profile option that allows me to set the default (see next).

5. Related to the above, in general it would be nice to have account/profile options that control the default behavior when new books are added (e.g., specifying default shelves).

6. A global book list. An option to show all books on all shelves in a single list.

That's it for now, but I'm sure more will occur to me as I continue to use the site.

message 2: by Lisa (last edited Feb 19, 2008 10:14PM) (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 8939 comments #4 was a temporary glitch that happened for just 1 day I think; it's been resolved, and those boxes are now not checked by default.

This Is Not The Michael You're Looking For | 947 comments Oh, you're right, it appears to be gone again. I had noticed this...yesterday?...perhaps, but hadn't added anything new since then.

message 4: by Otis, Chief Goodreader (new)

Otis Chandler | 4184 comments Mod
Great suggestions - thanks Michael! #2 is something we definitely want to build, and #3 is as well. #1 I'll look into, as that seems strange. Lisa is right on #4, I apologize for the glitch!