Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Shomeret's Jellin' July 2/4

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 1371 comments 5)Lord John And The Hand Of Devils by Diana Gabaldon (historical mystery novellas) 302 pages. Source: Library Started: 7/6 Finished: 7/12

Why Read: I love Lord John Grey. In fact, I prefer the Lord John books over the Outlander books because they're better paced.

Comments: I really liked "Lord John and the Haunted Soldier" much better than the others, but the anthology as a whole gets a C.

6)Where Shadows Linger by Mary D. Brooks (lesbian historical fiction) Source: Free from the author for review Started: 7/9 Finished: 7/11

Why Read: I read the fourth book in the Intertwined Souls series. I'm interested in the protagonists so I read this one which is #2. I felt that I didn't need to read #1 because there were spoilers for the entire plot in the fourth book. This second one begins in Australia and I know nothing of the lives of the protagonists, Eva and Zoe, in Australia. I also know nothing about post WWII Australia.

Comments: I admired Eva and Zoe's courage and I learned a great deal about Australia during this period. Unfortunately, there were some continuity problems. A good editor would have taken care of them. Rating B. See my review at http://shomeretmasked.blogspot.com/20...

7)Understanding Comics: The Invisible Art by Scott McCloud (graphic non-fiction) 215 pages. Source: Library Started: 7/12 Finished: 7/13

Why Read: A member of the F2F mystery group that I attend was very impressed with this book. So I got it out of the library.

Comments: I thought it was thought provoking. I gave it an A.

8)Yuko-chan and the Daruma Doll: The Adventures of a Blind Japanese Girl Who Saves Her Village English and Japanese by Sunny Seki (historical children's fiction) 33 pages. Source: Library Started: 7/13 Finished: 7/13

Why Read: It's about a blind Japanese girl who saved her village. What a premise!

Comments: The illustrations by the author are beautiful. It's also bilingual. The Japanese text is below the English text on each page. There were some serious improbabilities in this story. So I gave it a B-

To Be Continued...

message 2: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 1270 comments My daughter is teaching a new elective class on Graphic novels...I think I'll pick up Understanding Comics for her as a Back to School gift!

You had a great month!