Beta Reader Group discussion

Authors Seeking FREE Betas > 1st ~50p of completed 90K crime

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Julia (new)

Julia (juliahoover) | 33 comments Beta needed for first ~50 pages of crime novel, mystery with both medical and political plotting. Theme relates to (as title states) different outcomes of characters' needs to protect the ones they love.

Kennedy is a Pediatric Intensive Care fellow at the end of her training. She has spent her training trying to assuage her guilt over her little son's drowning 8 years before; she also wouldn't mind moving her relationship with pediatric radiologist Dr. Niklaus O'Rourke from mentorship into romance. But when the 3-year-old son of Senator John Emerson is nearly intentionally drowned, Kennedy must face her own ghosts and try desperately to save him - and find out what happened.

But Nick has a history with the wealthy and powerful Emerson family, and dreads Kennedy's involvement. As the case claims more and more of Kennedy's heart, Nick reveals that he loves Kennedy - and removes her from the hospital.

As he flies her on an impromptu trip to Switzerland, the Emersons begin to feel Kennedy's loss. John's chief Aide, Tom Kaplan, starts working on the case on his own - when Kennedy contacts him about the history between Nick and John.

Kennedy and Tom end up working together. Eventually they have to find a way to get John and Nick to overcome the past, or the Emerson family risks further murder attempts - as well as completion of the initial attempt on the life of John's son.

--

I have requests for partial manuscripts from a few agents on this work, and I'd like some feedback before I send them out. The longest request is ~50 p, which is what I'm requesting.

I've had wonderful betas from Goodreads before. :)

Thank you so much!
Julie

message 2: by Cindy (new)

Cindy Mitchell | 13 comments Hi Julie,

I'd be happy to have a look.

Cindyreesemitchell@gmail.com. My preference is MS word.

message 3: by Julia (new)

Julia (juliahoover) | 33 comments Great, Cindy, thanks! Will send along this afternoonish!

J

message 4: by Julia (new)

Julia (juliahoover) | 33 comments Cindy, so sorry, had to take my son to camp yesterday and got dreadfully lost, making a ~3 hr round trip into a ~6 hr trip. I was fried when I got home. Sending it now.

THANK YOU!

message 5: by Kara (new)

Kara Kelley | 11 comments Julia,

Sounds like my kind of genre. I too have a work out to agents, similar theme/concept. If you like, I can peruse your work. Perhaps trade?

kararhayden@gmail.com

message 6: by Julia (new)

Julia (juliahoover) | 33 comments Cindy wrote: "Hi Julie,

I'd be happy to have a look.

Cindyreesemitchell@gmail.com. My preference is MS word."

Hey, C, I wanted to Thank You again SO MUCH for your rapid work! I can't tell you what it means. I have one Agent I met in NY that I'm chatting with online until I have the revision complete, so it really means a lot. Didn't like the opener, hm? (LOL) Ahh.... decisions, decisions.

I have to say, I don't beta any more. I take perfectly good betas that I might have as friends and turn them into people who dislike me in very little time. I had "This Is Proper Writing" smashed into my head from a young age, and you saw the precise result. Some like it; many don't, at least in their own writing. It gives me a tool to use in mine, but I don't transplant myself well into other people's characters.

Therefore....

HOWEVER!

I'm willing to praise you to high heaven on beta-dom!

Thanks again,
J

message 7: by Julia (new)

Julia (juliahoover) | 33 comments Kara wrote: "Julia,

Sounds like my kind of genre. I too have a work out to agents, similar theme/concept. If you like, I can peruse your work. Perhaps trade?

kararhayden@gmail.com"

Hi, Kara -

I am, naturally, VERY interested, but as I wrote to Cindy (who was wonderful, BTW), I don't beta anymore. I think my response to her will show up, but if it doesn't...

"I have to say, I don't beta any more. I take perfectly good betas that I might have as friends and turn them into people who dislike me in very little time. I had "This Is Proper Writing" smashed into my head from a young age, and you saw the precise result. Some like it; many don't, at least in their own writing. It gives me a tool to use in mine, but I don't transplant myself well into other people's characters."

It's nothing personal, I'd just rather not kill potential author friends because my family runs to the Asperger's/Autism Spectrum side. No, I personally am not diagnosed as such, but it does run in the family, and so... as I say... I've beta'd and I'm perhaps a touch more detailed in my beta-ing than I ought to be. So while I'll do it for my kids, LOL, I won't do it to potential friends.

:)
That having been said, if you're still interested, so am I.
I've revised up to midpoint, but the agents only want 50p - I'd love to get someone to look at all that's revised, but either would be lovely. Still, I'd totally understand if the answer were no. :)

Thanks,
Julie Hoover

message 8: by Kara (new)

Kara Kelley | 11 comments No problem! You can send it to me at the address I provided. Cheers!

message 9: by Cindy (new)

Cindy Mitchell | 13 comments No worries, Julie. It's good that you are self-aware and honest about your own limitations. Anyway, I'm hanging out for the rest of that story! So, send more when you can or do let me know when it's published so that I can review!

message 10: by Julia (new)

Julia (juliahoover) | 33 comments Okey doke! I'm working on it now (chop, chop, LOL!).

Cheers!

message 11: by Julia (new)

Julia (juliahoover) | 33 comments Tx, Kara!

Will do!