Fear Fantastique discussion

TV > Twin Peaks

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Phillip (new)

Phillip I'm a Lynch fan, but somehow I never saw this, apart from a few bits and pieces from an episode or two.

So I checked out the first pilot episode from Netflix and was really into it. Now I'm managing my queue to check out the first season.

Any fans of this series?

I've also heard from everyone I know that Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me is an absolute waste of time, so I've always avoided that. Opposing opinions?

message 2: by Amy (last edited Jul 09, 2009 12:55PM) (new)

Amy | 339 comments Mod
Fire Walk With Me - I don't think I've even seen the complete movie. BUT, there is a scene towards the end that completely freaked me out. One of the scarier moments in a Lynch film, IMO.

With Twin Peaks, I believe I checked out the pilot a couple of years ago, hoping I would be into it - but that wasn't the case. Hmmm. Maybe I'll check it out again. I have to say, Kyle McLanchan's (sp!) character seemed way wooden, and that was not very appealing.

message 3: by Phillip (last edited Jul 10, 2009 03:17AM) (new)

Phillip Yeah he was really awkward in it. Everything seems exceedingly forced, and you kind of expect that from Lynch sometimes because he can bring his strange brand of humor to the surface in situations like that, but in this case MacLauchlin did't really work. It's not lynch's best but of is interesting to see him working in a different kind of format.

message 4: by Phillip (last edited Jul 26, 2009 12:33PM) (new)

Phillip i should be up there again on tour before the year ends. just remember, you promised!

i watched another four episodes recently, as i am renting it on netflix. as i expected, it's a bit hit or miss. you gets few great moments here and there followed by some tedium. it seems like one of their aims is to take a whack at television (soap operas in particular), but in order to satirize something you have to rise above it. sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't.

message 5: by Garrett Cook (new)

Garrett Cook | 2 comments The second season has a few episodes that are chaff but otherwise, I think this was the best show since The Twilight Zone and as of yet, I haven't found its equal. It deals in heavy themes, it features dreamlike halfdrawn characters that sometimes come to life in really amazing ways and it doesn't care if you like it. There are so few shows that are like that. TV needs more stuff like Twin Peaks and fewer sleek, metallic sci-fi shows.

message 6: by Jess (new)

Jess Gulbranson (jess_gulbranson) | 1 comments Love the series. There is a lot of goofy soap stuff, but plenty of really crazy cool. It's well worth a watch. Especially semi-marathon style, over like a week.

The movie is a microcosm of same, but it's done in a more serious tone a la "Lost Highway," so it's kind of jarring to people who expected more silliness. The movie is worth it for Chris Isaak, Kiefer Sutherland, and Harry Dean Stanton in the beginning part, as well as David Bowie's ultra-bizarre appearance later on. Plus, Jurgen Prochnow. Literally blink and you will miss him!