books turned into films discussion

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jolene (new)

Jolene | 5 comments has anyone read this book then watched the moive? I thought it was very dissapointing. The movie switches around so much thats in the book. Including the characters personalities. It was very upsetting to see.

The book was amazing though-great character development i thought.

Your thoughts?

message 2: by ~Kate~ (new)

~Kate~ (katesbooklife) av never heard of it wots the book about i might have a read

message 3: by Jolene (new)

Jolene | 5 comments well it sounds a bit stupid at first glance but its very suspensful.

These four college students go on a vacation in mexico and while there they go looking for this guy they meet at the hotel's brother whom ran off with a woman to a site she is working on (shes an archiologist [please forgive my bad spelling:]). When they get there they find out the site his mans brother ran off to has a secret-and it could kill them... i wont tell you what that is in case you decide to read it. They cant leave the site because they are being quarantined by the villagers that live around the area for fear that they will spread what is on the site. So they have to find a way to get out of the area before they all die off.

The movie does a decent job at portraying the overall plot of the book but it mixes up the characters. For example there are two girls in the book that are best friends one is a more conservative, loyal person and the other is more wild. in the movie they switch those traits between the characters. It also mixes up how most of them get hurt. It was upsetting to watch I didnt understand why they would mix it all up. If you're going to put it in the film then why would you mix up the characters?

The book is great if you like suspenful novels that have good character development. It takes a bit to get started though so you have to push through that portion of the book before it starts to get good.

you should check it out :)

message 4: by ~Kate~ (new)

~Kate~ (katesbooklife) i do like a bit of suspence i luv 2 b kept on the edge of my seat but av never had that wiv books i read but i do in films i watch

message 5: by Alexander (new)

Alexander Supertramp (_coo_) | 12 comments Jolene, that's what they did with Dreamcatcher... I just sat there watching it yelling at the T.V that they'd got it wrong haha. I haven't heard of The Ruins either, I'll go check it out, who is it by?

message 6: by ~Kate~ (new)

~Kate~ (katesbooklife) i have dreamcatcher on dvd didnt no it was a book

message 7: by Alexander (new)

Alexander Supertramp (_coo_) | 12 comments It is indeed a book. I don't know if I'd recommend it to you though, Stephen King did something real annoying that had me not wanting to bother reading the rest. I don't mean plot wise, just the way he chose to write it. It might just be me that finds it annoying though, he just did something that my writers teacher told me you NEVER do when writing a novel... But the characters are great, heaps better than they are in the film :)

message 8: by ~Kate~ (new)

~Kate~ (katesbooklife) okies, i dont think av ever fancied stephen kings book but that was coz wen i was younger i was told he does scarry books so av never bothered is ne of his other book worth a read?

message 9: by Jolene (new)

Jolene | 5 comments the ruins is by scott smith. He also wrote "a Simple Plan" I have that book but havent started reading it. Figured since I liked the ruins I'd probably like that one too. Thats also a film, but im not sure if i would like to watch it considering how screwy the ruins was.

I never liked dreamcatcher. I never read the book but i didnt care for the movie simply put because im terrified of leeches. And those creatures look too simliar in my opinion ha ha.