Jane Austen discussion

My Head Upon the £10 Note: Time-travel Jane
This topic is about My Head Upon the £10 Note
Fan Fiction/Continuations > My Head Upon the £10 Note: Time Travel Jane

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Suzan Lauder (suzan_lauder) | 14 comments This novel is a sleeper. The author is new to Austen-inspired fiction, and there's been no promotion. It's about Jane Austen, the Brontë Sisters, Maria Edgeworth, and William Thackerey in 2016 Limerick, Ireland on a time-travel tour.

The novel's opening chapters are about Austen's reactions to the modern world, and she delves into the history/mystery of Tom LeFroy while in Limerick. The story gets into the reactions of the other authors on Austen's work, Austen's feelings about their views, and her own modesty. There's also a parallel P&P-esque story for the modern OC's.

The author creates a personality and voice for Jane Austen that the reader will love: unassuming, witty, kind, curious, and a good friend. I smiled all the way through and wept at the end, as it should be with a good novel.

message 2: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (amandabookworm) Sounds interesting! I will add it to my TBR!

message 3: by Abigail (new) - added it

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) | 491 comments Thanks for the heads-up! One of the things I love best about this group is when one of the readers gets really enthusiastic about a less-known book and brings it to our attention. We tend to hear about the same books all the time on the JAFF Web sites (for obvious and understandable reasons), but that means sometimes hidden gems fall through the cracks.

message 4: by Monique (new) - added it

Monique (mfh2161) | 37 comments Oh goody! Will be checking this one out! Thank you!

Suzan Lauder (suzan_lauder) | 14 comments Abigail wrote: "Thanks for the heads-up! One of the things I love best about this group is when one of the readers gets really enthusiastic about a less-known book and brings it to our attention. We tend to hear a..."

Yeah, so many repeat recommendations of the same books that new ones don't stand a chance sometimes.