Trail-Mix Readers discussion

Introductions and Welcome

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jen (new)

Jen (jenius05) | 279 comments Mod
Welcome to Trail-Mix Readers! We would like to get to know you a bit!

1. What's your favorite genre to read?

2. If you had to pick three books to read for the rest of your life, what would they be?

3. You are stranded on a desert island and there are three dreams come true for you there: your favorite author, your favorite character, and your favorite historical figure. Who are they?

message 2: by Jen (new)

I am Jen Winters:

1. Paranormal Romance, hands down.
2. Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch, Shakespeare Anthology, and the Bible
3. Author: Veronica Del Rosa, Character: Elijah the Bloody, Historical figure: Jack Kerouac.

message 3: by Hamilton (new)

Hamilton Hill | 4 comments First of all, thank you Jen for the invitation.

I'm Hamilton Hill and I write tween fiction and I'm currently busy with a paranormal adventure base in Africa.

I am an ardent reader but that said, I'm not too sure that I'll do much reading for the next six months or so. This may mean I'll not be contributing much to this forum for quite some time.

message 4: by Jen (new)

Thanks for joining, Hamilton. Join in when you can.

message 5: by Ann (new)

Ann Swann (goodreadscomann_swann) | 1 comments Hello and thanks for the invitation, Rainne!

I like the idea of a mixed bag of genres. I can't read in only one genre anymore than I can write in only one.

message 6: by Angela (new)

Angela Dossett (whisperingwillo) | 8 comments I'm Angela....I was invited to this group by Jen...TY.. I'm an avid reader, not a writer... I read incessantly now than I'm older...I don't have kids that need me as much....hehe...I've found that my moods lead me to whatever genre it wants...I love me some with supernatural elements though...I love series....Can't wait to chat with all yall about different books...Happy Reading!!!!

message 7: by Bradley (new)

Bradley Boals | 1 comments First, let me thank Jen for the invitation to join the group. I like the idea of having different options in different genres to pick from. I am an author of a YA - Science Fiction series, but I enjoy a good story, regardless of the genre. I will try to work in some reading for this group in between my writing and other work. Can't wait to see what everyone has to say as they complete the various books!

message 8: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) | 13 comments Hi there! I'm Christina and Lu Whitley invited me to the group, but I see a bunch of familiar faces. Actually, when I saw a few posts pop up in my feed with the group name, I thought there was a new method of divination in which one could read their future based on their choice of fruit and nut snack mixes. ;p

I'm happy to join in and read whenever I can. I tend to stick to the scifi and fantasy side of things, but as you all know, those are pretty broad and encompassing genres, so I'm sure I'll find something!

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Jen wrote: "Welcome to Trail-Mix Readers! We would like to get to know you a bit!

1. What's your favorite genre to read? Spiritual philosophy or historical insight. I also make up genres in my spare time, thank you very much.

2. If you had to pick three books to read for the rest of your life, what would they b..."

Kindle, Nook and Sony

message 10: by Anthony (new)

Anthony (authoranthonyavina) | 1 comments Hi there, my name is Anthony Avina, and I am an author.

1) My favorite genre to read is the Horror genre.

2) I would read Stephen King's The Dark Tower VII: The Dark Tower, Dean Koontz Odd Thomas, and George R.R. Martins A Game of Thrones, (A
Song of Ice and Fire, #1).

3) Author: Stephen King. Character: Jack Sawyer from Stephen King and Peter Straub's Black House. Historical Figure: John F. Kennedy

It's great to meet you all. I look forward to being a part of this group.

message 11: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Douglass | 1 comments Hi, I'm new here. Many thanks for the invitation, Lu. I'm an indie author, avid reader and an incurable romantic. I spend my summers in Canada, near Niagara Falls, and my winters in the U.S., Port St. Lucie, Florida.

I plan to read and write until my dying day, perhaps longer.

1. Favorite genre: Crime/Romance Thriller

2. Favorite Books: The Prize, by Daniel Yergin
The Firm, by John Grisham
The Heist, by Daniel Silva

3. Favorite author: Stieg Larsson
Favorite character: Gabriel Allon
Favorite historical character: Lawrence of Arabia

message 12: by J. (new)

J. Kahele This is a perfect group for me! I read everything, although I write presently only contemporary romance. I am bi-polar when it comes to favorites. The more I read the more my list changes. Thank you for the invite!

message 13: by Jen (new)

This is awesome! Thank you all to the many new faces we have here!! I look forward to getting to know you all much better! <3

message 14: by Brigitte (new)

Brigitte  (brigitteh) Thank you for the invitation Lu. My preferred genres are YA, NA , Paranormal, Romance but if I do read Historical Romance/Fiction too. I find mythology fascinating.

message 15: by Jen (new)

Welcome Brigitte! Would you enjoy a PNR parody? It is funny :D

message 16: by Bayan (new)

Bayan Allou | 1 comments Hello , I read everything but if I am gonna read a genre for the rest of my life it would be Romance Thriller.
My favorite books are :
The book thief ( currently reading )
Inferno
A discovery of witches
just for notice my mother language is not English so I am sorry if i had any spelling mistakes .

message 17: by Jen (new)

Welcome Bayan! What's your mother-tongue? We are a forgiving group and won't get up in arms about little things like spelling (unless it's in the books we are reading, haha).

message 18: by B. (last edited Sep 09, 2015 01:28AM) (new)

B. Thomas Harwood (bthomasharwood) | 2 comments Hello everyone! B. Thomas Harwood joining the discussion.

I would have a very hard time choosing between fantasy and historical fiction as my favorite genre. It's a toss-up.

My three favorite books to be stuck with would be the Lord of the Rings trilogy. I can read that over and over and never get bored!

If I had to be stuck on an island with the three people suggested I guess I'd go with Homer for the author. Could pick his brains for hours. But since he probably spoke Latin or Ancient Greek, I'd have Thomas Jefferson present as my historical figure - he was fluent in both languages and an intriguing person. I couldn't imagine having Homer as a guest and Jefferson as the translator. Then I'll take Lady Galadriel from The Fellowship of the Ring.

I doubt I would even want to read much in that setting. Just sit back and observe!

message 19: by Jen (new)

B. Welcome and AWESOME picks!! Such a good line up you got there!

message 20: by K.K. (new)

K.K. Gould | 39 comments Hi everyone my name is KK. I read and write paranormal romance/suspense.

three books to read for the rest of my life... I think I'll cheat on this one and pick three of my fave series... he he he... Solsti Prophecy-Sharon Kay, Night Huntress-Jeannine Frost, and Rock Chick-Kristen Ashley(I know its not paranormal but its one of my faves)

Stranded on an island...favorite author and character is too hard to choose but I would have to say Jeannine Frost (author) and Kat Crawfield (character-Night Huntress) Favorite historical character would be Joan of Arc.

message 21: by Jen (new)

Welcome KK!! you got a lot of lovely ladies there to keep you company :D

message 22: by K.K. (new)

K.K. Gould | 39 comments I would have picked a couple hot men but there are too many to choose just one... I would have to think on it for a long time

Maybe an addendum to the question would be if you were stranded on an island with your top 3 book boyfriends who would they be and what would they do to win you over...

message 23: by Jen (new)

Ooh, so what are your top three book boyfs, kk??

message 24: by K.K. (new)

K.K. Gould | 39 comments So hard... there are so many yummy men... Bones (Night Huntress by Jeannine Frost); Mace (Rock Chick by Kristen Ashley); Zsadist (Black Dagger Brotherhood by J.R. Ward

message 25: by Jen (new)

I have been hearing all about all of those authors and I can't read them until January because I committed to only reading indies this year, lol.

message 26: by K.K. (new)

K.K. Gould | 39 comments I try to read most indies, but someone recommended Rock Chick to me and was hooked. The other two series I read years ago. I do highly recommend all of them when you get a chance.

message 27: by Massimo (last edited Oct 01, 2015 03:04AM) (new)

Massimo Marino | 1 comments Hello, and thanks for the invite. I'm an author with Booktrope Publishing, after initial years spent as indie-pen-dent, which I enjoyed a lot for the personal contact with readers.

I'm a scientist (http://massimomarinoauthor.com), a physicist and computer scientist to be precise. I worked at the CERN labs, and the Lawrence Berkeley Lab in California, overlooking San Francisco Bay.

Then I joined Apple Inc., (and yes, I met Steve Jobs), and worked as a Director with the World Economic Forum.

As a writer, I went from smashing particles at the largest particle accelerators in the world to smashing words at the most popular computer screens in the world (with a pen, I only take notes and jolt down ideas)

Recently, I co-founded BookGarage, https://www.bookgarage.com , a community of like-minded people for authors, freelancers in publishing, and readers. You are, of course, all invited.

As a scientist, I envision Science Fiction. I'm writing now my 4th novel, a YA Urban SF.

Cheers,
Massimo

message 28: by K.D. (new)

K.D. Rose (kdrose1) | 1 comments Thanks for inviting me! This group looks interesting.

1. My favorite genre changes. It used to be science fiction growing up. Went to poetry for a long time. Went to non-fiction (to learn) for a long time. Now I would say probably speculative fiction but really its any book that can capture me via blurb or cover or write up or review.... Capture me and I'll read you!

2. 3 Books to read for the rest of my life: Collected works of e.e. cummings; The full collection in its entirety of the graphic novel series The Invisibles by Grant Morrison; and A New Model of the Universe by P.D. Ouspensky. I know. Weird, nothing in common. That's me.

3. Favorite Author: Harlan Ellison; favorite character: Probably someone from a Philip K. Dick novel; favorite historical figure: Einstein or Schrodinger

message 29: by Scott (new)

Scott Borgman | 31 comments Hi everyone! I'm Scott Borgman, and I write YA Epic Fantasy as my main genre and Paranormal Romance as a secondary.

Favorite Genre: While I enjoy all genres, fantasy has been my favorite for a long time - but it's become a bit of a fight with Paranormal Romance.

Three Books: Stephen King's It, Dragonlance Chronicles Collector's Edition by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman (I get all three books and get to count them as one that way haha), and Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet.

Favorite Author: R.A. Salvatore
Favorite Character: Drizzt Do'Urden
Historical Figure: Confucius

message 30: by Jen (new)

Welcome newcomers!!

A Scientist, and Eclectic, and then Scott...sigh. Scott, who let you in here?? ;)

message 31: by Scott (new)

Scott Borgman | 31 comments Yes, I know... it's difficult to categorize me. ;P
And I do believe you opened the door for me, Jen :) So thank you!

Maggie the Muskoka Library Mouse (mcurry1990) Hi! My name is Margaret, and below I have answered the questions from above. :)

1. I enjoy most genres, but right now I am really into thrillers. I've been reading a lot of John Saul, Dean Koontz, and James Patterson.

2. If I could only have three books to read for the rest of my life, I would choose "Gone With the Wind" by Margaret Mitchell, "The Lord of the Rings" by J.R.R. Tolkien, and the collected works of Edgar Allan Poe.

3. You are stranded on a desert island and there are three dreams come true for you there: your favorite author, your favorite character, and your favorite historical figure. Who are they?
Favourite Author: Gerald Durrell
Favourite Character: Scarlett O'Hara
Favourite Historical Figure: Sacagawea

message 33: by Rod (new)

Rod Rhimes | 1 comments Introduction time!

General Fiction. I read a pretty good mix.

2. If you had to pick three books to read for the rest of your life, what would they be?

Jitterbug Perfume, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, the Hitchhiker's Guide collection. Now, if were starting a new civilization, a dictionary, and books on hard sciences.

Hunter S. Thompson, but only until the booze ran out, Bonanza Jellybean from Cowgirls Get the Blues, and Ben Franklin, but he can't touch the woman.

message 34: by Jen (new)

Welcome Margaret and Rod!!

message 35: by M.E. (new)

M.E. Hembroff (mhembroff) I live in Alberta, Canada. I am a writer and author of juvenile fiction. I am a self published author with Friesen Press. I am also an artist and animal lover who likes to garden.My books are mystery and historical.

I enjoy a variety of genre's but one of my favorites is historical romance.

Someone just gave me a Steven King book to try. Read 1st chapter and like it.

If I had three books to read for the rest of my life it would be Anne of Green Gables, Gone With the Wind and An Irish Country Doctor.

If I was stranded on a deserted island:
Favorite author: L.M.Montgomery
Favorite character: Dr.Fingal Flahertie O'Reilly|(rom An Irish Country Doctor, because medical aid would be a must)
Favorite historical figure: Ralph Klein(former prime minister)

message 36: by Jin (new)

Jin (jinokubo) | 1 comments Hello all. I am Jin Okubo a man who writes romance.

What's your favorite genre to read?
I have no specific genre. I love to read. If you put it in front of me I will read it.

Lovecraft The call of C'thulu, Dragon Lance the triple book set into one giant book. And Little Women.

Anne Rice, Raistlin, Poe

Good to meet you all.

message 37: by Frank (new)

Frank Kelso (frank_kelso) | 1 comments Hello to the Trail-Mixers.
I'm Frank Kelso. While I'm a writer, I'm also a habitual reader. I read contemporary thrillers (Jack Reacher series), sci-fi (space-opera, military, and fantasy), and of course, westerns, both action (Dusty Rhodes) and romance (cj petit).
Fav genre: Westerns
Fav authors: Leonard Elmore, Larry McMurtry, Zane Grey
Fav Character: Woodrow Call in Lonesome Dove (I know everyone liked Gus, but the Calls of the world get the job done.
Fav Historical: Michelangelo. The engineer in me would love to discuss his concepts and the medical side is fascinated at his early autopsy when it was heresy.
Look forward to sharing comments and reviews.

message 38: by C.C. (new)

C.C. (ccsullivan_writer) | 1 comments Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this group. I both read and write. I have finally realized that the genre I'm writing in is closer to Magical Realism, even though it's listed as YA and Urban fantasy.

I don't really have a favourite genre. I pick books/stories that I'm attracted to reading. But I do read almost all books that have the word "Paris" in its title. (lol)

This one is hard. 1. Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance 2. The Olympians 3. A Winter's Tale

3. You are stranded on a desert island and there are three dreams come true for you there: your favorite author (maybe Neil Gaiman?), your favorite character (Erik the Viking), and your favorite historical figure (Nikola Tesla?).

Cheers,
CC