Around the World in 80 Books discussion

The Happy Isles of Oceania: Paddling the Pacific
This topic is about The Happy Isles of Oceania
Group Reads Discussions > Happy Isles of Oceania

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Linda (linda_ballou) Hi, I read Theroux's book many years ago. It influenced my thinking in many ways. Made me want to take an extended journey in a Kayak! Yes it did. He gives a behind the scenes look at Polynesian cultures that a struggling to survive. I really loved this book.Lost Angel Walkabout: One Traveler's Tales
my full review is on the Good Reads site

message 2: by Kristina Marie (new)

Kristina Marie | 274 comments I am thinking about reading this one. I didn't realize it was so big!

Laurie | 616 comments I didn't realize it was so big either. I finished it today, and I enjoyed it very much. This was my first book by Theroux and I enjoyed his style of writing, so I will definitely read more of his books. There is lots of information about each island and its people which was interesting. It got a little tedious reading about him paddling to all the various islands, but it is the point of the book after all. He refers several times to Melanesia and Meganesia which I had never heard of. I really didn't know much about the South Pacific islands so the stories were a nice change from cultures I have read about before.