All About Books discussion

Past Posts > All About Books Turns Two!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 62 (62 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

It's our second birthday on the 12th of August.

Last year we had a thread discussing our favourite books that we had read as a result of AAB. I thought it would be nice to do this again as a celebration.

If anybody has any other ideas to celebrate our group turning two then please share them with the group

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

My favourite books that I have read with the group in the last year are The Goldfinch and A Man Called Ove

I have also enjoyed some great readalongs including Giovanni's Room

I have also recently really enjoyed my re-read of The Handmaid's Tale and our ongoing discussion

I have also be very lucky to have taken on a moderating role in the last year which I am enjoying and will continue to enjoy over the next year.

AAB has also enabled me to visit the lovely Laura in beautiful Perugia at a difficult time in my life when a holiday was definitely needed

So thanks to all our wonderful members who make this group such a friendly, interesting and dynamic place to spend time (probably too much time!)

message 3: by dely (last edited Aug 08, 2015 03:45AM) (new)

dely | 5214 comments

As a thank you for all the members! It was a pleasure to stay for another year with you all.

This last year I was less active and I had also less time to read. I haven't taken part to many group reads or buddy reads though it was one of my purposes.
But I like to chat here with you about books but also about our personal lives. It's a very supportive group and I'm glad everyone feels free and serene to talk about their lives and problems. This means that we feel good together and enjoy the company of each other!

message 4: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments Nice flowers dely! Thanks :)

I can't believe it has been two years already! Thanks to all our members, old & new, especially the regular posters who help keep the group the friendly and chatty place I love so much. My participation has been up and down over the past year but the kind words and support during some of my personally difficult times over the past year has meant a lot to me.

I have read many books because of AAB in the past 12 months, as group reads, readalongs or recommendations. The one that sticks out in my mind is Cloud Atlas. I didn't think I would like it but with the help of the group discussion, I ended up really liking it! The fact that the group has members with such a wide variety of tastes is great; even if I don't read something, I hear about so many different books :)

message 5: by Kim (new)

Kim (KhymmieB) | 25 comments Happy early Birthday AAB members!!

I know I'm a fairly new member here, but I would like to express my gratitude and thanks to all the members here. Reading all your posts, reviews and recommendations has renewed my love for reading ten-fold! My TBR list is forever growing and I'm reading a wider variety of books that I would normally not look at twice.

Thank you for making reading exciting again.
I look forward to the future with everyone here :)

message 6: by Erica (new)

Erica | 868 comments That's such a lovely comment Kim. I always people that don't read just haven't found the right book yet...this group definitely helps me to find lots of great books so glad it does the same for you :)

message 7: by Amber (new)

Amber (amberterminatorofgoodreads) Happy second birthday AAB! If you need any ideas, I have some as my reading for pleasure book club turned 1 last month back on July 15th and we did tons of stuff for it like a bookmark/book/ebook swap where members did a physical and ebook swap with a bookmark to give to each other, a 12 book reading challenge where you read one book a month until the next time a birthday rolls around, and we also started buddy read it again where if someone wanted to re-read a group read or buddy read that we had done in the past as a buddy read, we would re-bring the read out of the archive and into the buddy reads section only until the read is over and then bring it back to the archives afterwards. If you want to borrow any of these ideas, feel free to.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks Amber, great ideas. Most of our readalongs are kept unarchived so you are always welcome to have a look at the old threads and comment if you want.

I think we will stick to thread based celebrations this year and maybe repeat the bookmark swap we organised at Christmas again this year.

message 9: by Amber (new)

Amber (amberterminatorofgoodreads) oh okay. well that's fine. Have a great birthday!

message 10: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 09, 2015 07:21AM) (new)

Happy 2nd birthday AAB!! I've been reading more thoughtfully since being a member of this group. I was in other GR groups prior to this, and just didn't find that simpatico feeling. I've found a wonderful group here, and such support among the members. It's truly a place I look forward to visiting each day.

I've been keeping an AAB bookshelf over the past year. There are 18 books on the list, some excellent and interesting reading. Here's a link:

https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

message 11: by Shirley (new)

Shirley | 4177 comments Happy Birthday to all of us! I've read some great books through this group, for example A Fine Balance and The Power of One (both recommendation swaps, and both excellent books!). I also really enjoyed reading The Goldfinch with you all, and Cloud Atlas, both with great discussions. My only regret is that I've been too busy to spend as much time in chatting and following discussion threads as closely as I would have liked.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Terri wrote: "Happy 2nd birthday AAB!! I've been reading more thoughtfully since being a member of this group. I was in other GR groups prior to this, and just didn't find that simpatico feeling. I've found a wo..."

Great shelf Terri, I've been keeping track of group reads but not readalongs so maybe I should change my shelf to keep track of all the books I have read with the group

message 13: by LauraT (new)

LauraT (laurata) | 13495 comments Mod
Terrible connection at home. I'll write more tomorrow from the office.
Now I only wanted to say thanks to allof you: a great year togerher!

message 14: by Gill (last edited Aug 09, 2015 11:25AM) (new)

Gill | 5720 comments A very happy birthday for August 12th to All About Books. This is the best group in all of Goodreads, and being a member of it means a lot to me.

Thanks so much to our moderators for all their hard work with this group.

I think the international nature of the membership is a real contributor to what an excellent group this is. The nonliterary conversations are extremely interesting, in a large part due to the diverse nature of our backgrounds. And people are astonishingly supportive of each other. It also means that I hear about lots of different books and authors, that I would otherwise not have come across.

I started the year keeping a record of which books I've read because of All About Books. I've not managed to carry it right through. That's because there are so many of the books that I have read, that relate to the group in many different ways: group reads, personal recommendations, references to articles, the weekly additions to the Guardian's 100 best books (which has been very interesting to me) etc etc. I've also really enjoyed the poetry and drama sections.

I met with Dhanaraj in person this year, that was great. Who knows what next year might bring?!

Enough of my comments now; thanks once again to the mods and all the members for making this such a super group.

message 15: by LauraT (new)

Back at work, where I can at least have a boog internet connection!

As I was writing yesterday, this group is home for me, thanks to all of you chatting, discussing, laughing and so on. And this everyday.

I do agree Gill: the fact that we are scattered all over the world adds to the Group something special, and this is what I'm looking for.
And the chance of meeting real people is even better: las year I had met Jenny and Dhanaraj - whom I've seen again a cuople of times and feel so sad knowing him so far away now, even if I know he's close to family and therefore happy!. This year I've met Heather - and a nice surprise it was!

For the books I've discovered thanks to AAB, they're too many to write them all; just to mention few:
- the whole Lymond series I didn't even know it exhisted, and we've read it all last year;
- same for some book by W.G. Sebald: if it wasn't for Jenny and Dhanaraj I wouldn't have met him;
- The Sense of an Ending by Julian Barnes, Zuleika Dobson by Max Beerbohm, The Book of Negroes by Lawrence Hill, Stig of the Dump by Clive King, Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell, Acqua agli elefanti by Sara Gruen, Go Set a Watchman by Harper Lee
These are all books I've been suggested here - and many many more.
Let's "pray", as Leslie posted somewhere else yesterday, for another year of such good books in such a great company!

photo 15803208._SY540__zpslgedqte4.jpg

message 16: by Marina (new)

Marina (sonnenbarke) I'm new to the group but I wanted to say Happy Birthday to all of us! As I wrote in another thread, even though I'm new I've already found out I really love this group. I hope I will be able to be more active after the move has been made, that is after the second half of September (or hopefully earlier, but I wouldn't be too optimistic).

message 17: by Diane S ☔ (new)

Diane S ☔ Happy Birthday, how very wonderful this group is. Read so many interesting firsts. Sebold, Vargos, Galworthy.
One standout for me is Braiding Sweetgrass: Indigenous Wisdom, Scientific Knowledge, and the Teachings of Plants, which I loved. So thanks everyone.

message 18: by dely (new)

dely | 5214 comments LauraT wrote: "And the chance of meeting real people is even better: las year I had met Jenny and Dhanaraj "

And me :-(

message 19: by Gill (new)

Gill | 5720 comments dely wrote: "LauraT wrote: "And the chance of meeting real people is even better: las year I had met Jenny and Dhanaraj "

And me :-("

I knew that dely, I'm sure it goes without saying that that was also wonderful!

message 20: by Maggie (new)

Maggie | 537 comments Happy Birthday All About Books - a great group!

message 21: by Pink (new)

Pink Happy Birthday AAB, can't believe it's been two years already!!

Stand out group reads in the past year have been The Goldfinch, All Quiet on the Western Front and The Luminaries

I've joined readalongs for several books and enjoyed discussing my thoughts with others, even when I didn't like the book (which happened a few times!) A stand out read was Giovanni's Room which I loved.

This year I've enjoyed the new seasonal authors feature. I read three books by W.G. Sebald, one by Elizabeth Gaskell and I'm about to start my second by Irène Némirovsky.

One of my favourite things about this group isn't the books! It's the people of course! As much as I like discussing what I'm reading and discovering great recommendations, it's the friendliness and chit chat that keeps me here. We're a close knit group, from all around the world, who look out for one another and offer true friendship and support. I think it's wonderful that group members have been meeting up in real life too.

message 22: by Tweedledum (last edited Aug 10, 2015 10:50PM) (new)

Tweedledum  (tweedledum) | 2051 comments Happy Birthday AAB now you are 2!

Thank you to everyone who is in this group but especially the mods who work so hard behind the scenes. I love this group and you have helped get me through a very difficult year.

What have I read this year thanks to AAB ...?

Let's see....... Jean will be pleased to know that I have finally got around to The Pickwick Papers and am half way through the Naxos recording which is excellent.

Thanks to the BINGO challenge I decided that 2015 would be the year I would get around to War and Peace which has been in and out of packing cases so many times over the last 38 years I've lost count. Not finished but over half way through!!!

I haven't managed to take part in many group reads this year though I think I posted one or two comments for Cloud Atlas but inspired by the group read I am still persevering with Mrs. Dalloway and with you in spirit for To Kill a Mockingbird such a great book.

For a 2nd birthday read can I recommend :
A Curious Invitation: The Forty Greatest Parties in Fiction A celebration of fictional parties!
Suzette Field analyses the parties under various headings and this might work for us...

Reason for Party.....
Celebrating AAB's 2nd birthday

So who's invited?
....all AAB club members

Venue ... WWW ...But you could say where you are when you post...
. I am sat in my living room in Essex GB enjoying the peace and quiet before the family get up.

Dress code? You could describe what you are wearing when you celebrate :
I'm still in my PJs.... Spotty trousers and a miss matched T-shirt

Entertainment..... Hmmm any ideas on this? Perhaps you could say if you are listening to or watching anything special to celebrate the AAB birthday.
I am going to listen to some of Britten's Midsummer Night's Dream as my daughter was in a production of this last month.

Food : comment on something you are eating or going to eat as you celebrate
Well as it's breakfast time I'm going to treat myself to a warm croissant with Brie and some fresh coffee.

Conversation.... BOOK CHAT of course,! though random humorous comments also welcome . And anything else you care to chat about!

Outcome?
It's certainly giving me a "feel good " feeling...

message 23: by LauraT (last edited Aug 10, 2015 11:30PM) (new)

dely wrote: "LauraT wrote: "And the chance of meeting real people is even better: las year I had met Jenny and Dhanaraj "

And me :-("

AARRGGG! How could I have forgotten our meeting? Probably because it feels as if I had known you for ages now!!!!

message 24: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments Tweedledum, I like your idea of a virtual party! Since tomorrow is the actual date of the anniversary, let's do it :D

message 25: by Angela M (new)

Angela M Happy Birthday , AAB ! My most memorable read alongs were for Stoner and Ulysses .
In addition I have read probably quite a few books because of recommendations or just reading wonderful reviews by some of the members. The intelligent book discussions , the always interesting chitchat and the caring and considerate people here make it a great group to be a part of .

Thanks everyone and a special nod to our fantastic moderators who keep it running smoothly.

message 26: by Tweedledum (last edited Aug 12, 2015 01:01AM) (new)

Tweedledum  (tweedledum) | 2051 comments Come and join our virtual party

When you check in to celebrate share any or all of the following:

What you are wearing
What you are eating/ drinking to celebrate
Tells us where you are celebrating
Tell us why you want to come to the party ( why you love AAB)
Offer a conversation opener or comment ... (This could be book commenrts as suggested above )
If you have an idea for a virtual party game please share that,

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ALL ABOUT BOOKS!

I'm currently in jeans and a t-shirt having left work early. I'm just leaving the party to go and do my laundry but when I'm back I will celebrate this evening with a gin and tonic in Eastbourne, UK.

Obviously I want to be at the party because AAB has been a great source of laughs, reads, support and friendship for me over the past 2 years and I am very happy to be a moderator.

This would be a great thread to say hi if you are a member who doesn't always feel comfortable joining in comments- we are a friendly bunch and parties are a great opportunity to mingle and get to know each other!

message 28: by Gill (new)

Gill | 5720 comments Happy Birthday.
I'm wearing a purple patterned blouse, and blue crop trousers, and of course a sun hat - because I'm sitting in the garden sunning myself.

I'm enjoying a mango sorbet ice lolly. If I was going to have some virtual food for the party, it would be peanut butter sandwiches. Yummy!

I've already said in another post what's great about AAB. So that's why I'm at the party. Let's all have a good time till our 3rd birthday!

I went to Zumba earlier today, so that's my dancing for the party!

Yes, hope that lots of people will join us here to celebrate over the next few days. I reckon we can have a party all month long!

message 29: by Angela M (new)

Angela M Happy Birthday AAB!

I'm still in my pajamas and it's after 10 am , a rarity, but I'll dress for the party later . I've just had my second cup of coffee and maybe will have a glass of wine tonight to celebrate,

This is one if those few days that I don't have any errands to run or any appointments so my plan is to read and relax - what better way to say Happy Birthday this group !

message 30: by dely (new)

dely | 5214 comments LauraT wrote: "AARRGGG! How could I have forgotten our meeting? Probably because it feels as if I had known you for ages now!!!! "

That's very lovely and kind ^^

message 31: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 12, 2015 09:50AM) (new)

Happy Birthday to all!

It's just past noon and I'm wearing navy shorts and a purple top. It's a cooler day than it has been lately, so the widows are open and there's a wonderful breeze. I just had a breakfast of toast (homemade bread) and coffee. I'm still savoring a cup. In a little while I'll harvest some basil from my little herb garden and make some pesto for tonight, with a nice bottle of red to celebrate.

I also have already stated the reasons I love AAB. I did, however, forget to thank our terrific moderators. You do so much for us and it is greatly appreciated.

The rest of my day will be spent reading, and visiting with my husband, who is working from home tocay.

message 32: by Laurel (new)

Laurel Bradshaw (llawryf) | 672 comments Happy Birthday!
I'm at work (reference librarian), drinking my morning tea, and catching up on Goodreads posts. I actually dressed up a bit more than usual today. A pretty blue sweater top that really brings out my eyes. And I'm having fun with some glittery hair extensions that I bought at an Irish Fair last weekend.

This is a great group with some unique threads - the Monday poem, seasonal authors, recommendation swap. And of course the Ulysses read was quite memorable this year. Keep up the good work! I read all the threads even if I don't read all the books....

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

Wow--I'm getting an AAB birthday present! I've always wanted a stainless steel roasting pan, and my wonderful mate just ordered me one online.

message 34: by Angela M (new)

Angela M Well , I'm jealous, Terri ! I'll have to speak to my husband when he gets home from golfing and ask where my AAB birthday present is ! Enjoy using your new roasting pan .

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

Gill wrote: "Happy Birthday.
I'm wearing a purple patterned blouse, and blue crop trousers, and of course a sun hat - because I'm sitting in the garden sunning myself.

I'm enjoying a mango sorbet ice lolly. I..."

I'm allergic to peanuts so I'll bring something separate for me!

I will be having some cake later whilst watching The Great British Bake off on TV in the UK

message 36: by Tweedledum (new)

Tweedledum  (tweedledum) | 2051 comments Happy Birthday!
Yea everyone's getting in the party spirit. I'm going to have a glass of wine while i make one of our favourite meals: Crispy Salmon Salad. I'm wearing a pick check blouse and have put my hair up.

message 37: by Laurel (new)

Laurel Bradshaw (llawryf) | 672 comments Birthday Cake awaits when I get home from work. Actually, it's a chocolate banana bread, but I accidentally left out an egg, so it is somewhat dense and fudgy. Also it has icing... And looking forward to reading more of A Plague on Both Your Houses.

message 38: by Tweedledum (new)

Tweedledum  (tweedledum) | 2051 comments No I'm not tipsy! Haven't got the bottle open yet..... It's a PINK blouse.... I wonder what a pick blouse would look like...

message 39: by Sam (new)

Sam (aramsamsam) | 85 comments What a coincidence, seems I joined just in time for the party! Happy birthday, All About Books!
I'll celebrate by devoting at least an hour of reading to A Tale for the Time Being.

message 40: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments Happy birthday AAB!! I already posted about what I like about the group but in short - the wonderful people!

I am popping in to check out the party in my sage green shorts and white T-shirt with my cup of coffee. As Angela said, it is still a bit early for alcohol this side of the Atlantic (I am in Massachusetts, USA) but I will probably have a glass of wine or three when I have my dinner of pasta with homemade al fredo sauce. I have a Wodehouse audiobook from Librivox to listen to while I am cooking :)

Tonight I am going to watch the new film version of "Far from the Madding Crowd" to get me in the mood for rereading our group classic. I am actually a bit surprised how much of the plot came back to me reading the comments here.

message 41: by Angela M (new)

Angela M Leslie , too bad I don't still live in MA , we could have met for a glass of wine . Well , it'll have to be a virtual toast .

message 42: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments Angela M wrote: "Leslie , too bad I don't still live in MA , we could have met for a glass of wine . Well , it'll have to be a virtual toast ."

We should think about visiting sometime and not leave all the real-world meetings to the Europeans!

message 43: by Angela M (new)

Angela M Well not living in MA since 2005 but we do visit friends from time to time . Maybe the next time we visit .

message 44: by Bionic Jean (new)

Bionic Jean (bionicjean)

to "ALL ABOUT BOOKS!"

message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

I have my g&t, ate my pasta and I'm now sitting with friends watching my favourite programme. We even have some posh choccies

message 46: by Bionic Jean (last edited Aug 18, 2015 03:12PM) (new)

Bionic Jean (bionicjean) Tweedledum - I do indeed approve and am pleased you are enjoying it :)

message 47: by dely (new)

dely | 5214 comments I'm not ready for a party! I'm still in my nightgown since this morning but we could do a pajamas party!

I celebrated "writing" and not reading. I received a few translations to do so hadn't time to read. Then I had a pizza for supper and I made also some plum jam and I would like to share it with you. Someone else (Terri!!) could bring homemade bread. Yummy!
I'm a teetotaler so I will celebrate with some water or ice-tea.

message 48: by Shirley (new)

Shirley | 4177 comments Happy birthday AAB! I've been at work all day, but did go out for a meal with my work friends - I had fish and chips in a newly opened pub, but then my next door neighbour popped around with some banana bread she had just made. So I do feel as though I've eaten well! And had wine too, on a "school night"!! Still wearing my work clothes, as not much point in changing now, I'll be off to bed soon!

message 49: by B the BookAddict (new)

B the BookAddict (bthebookaddict) | 8315 comments AAB is my home group and AABers are the first people I connect with in the morning. What a wonderful group of caring, happy people who are happy to share reviews and reasons their opinions on books.

Recommendation Swap, Monthly Fiction and Non-Fiction have all been highlights for me, introducing me to many books which have become favourites.

It's always around 4am when I'm on AAB so always in my pjs, party or no party. For the virtual party and if I could drink, I would have celebrated with a scotch and ice.

message 50: by Angela M (new)

Angela M It's a decent hour now - 5:45 pm and I having a glass of wine and toasting all of you ! Cheers!

« previous 1