Gothicked (Gothic Novel Lovers) discussion

General > Great place to borrow Gothic Suspense books for FREE!

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Clark (last edited Aug 07, 2015 09:48PM) (new)

Clark | 6 comments I've seen where a few people have mentioned that they had trouble getting their hands on old gothic suspense books. I stumbled across a web site that is so good that it is hard to believe and it is totally free. You don't have to give a credit card number or anything like that. It is Open Library and here is where you can find it:
https://openlibrary.org/
There are a couple of rules though, you can only have 5 books borrowed at a time and you get about 2 weeks on a borrow. The search engine leaves a little to be desired but if you search on an author that you know writes Gothic that will help. Then there are Lists that people make of books that are on Open Library that they want to read for themselves later. You are allowed to search their lists and then save the title to your own lists that I'm sure everyone will want. Here is an example of someone's gothic list:
https://openlibrary.org/people/BookWo...
I might add that the term "seeds" means books. You can download these books in different formats but I have better luck just reading the books online. The advantage to reading the book online is that you are looking at the exact image of the book that they copied from. Most books seem to have come from a Boston Library and have their stamp in the books. I haven't found a downloaded PDF book that didn't have a few errors during the conversions from one file to another. When you are looking at old cook books on this site that is extremely important! I sure hope this helps people. If anyone has any questions I'd be happy to help. I'm not part of Open Library, I'm just a user like anyone else. They do have a lot of volunteers but I haven't figured out if I can send in some of my old books as a donation.

Taken from their web site: "Open Library is an initiative of the Internet Archive, a 501(c)(3) non-profit, building a digital library of Internet sites and other cultural artifacts in digital form." "Open Library is a project of the non-profit Internet Archive, and has been funded in part by a grant from the California State Library and the Kahle/Austin Foundation."

message 2: by Sarah (new)

Sarah W. | 6 comments Hi Clark, I wanted to say thank you SO much for this Open Library info. I have struggled to find much Phyllis Whitney in my local libraries and this looks like a great solution. I must add that it was only due to this list that I learnt about Ms Whitney in the first place, so I am grateful to everyone!

message 3: by Clark (new)

Clark | 6 comments Glad to be of help. Not only can you find all the old gothic suspense novels that are out of print, you can even read a bunch of old cook books. I'm crazy about the old cook books. I'm crazy about reading old books, and all for FREE! My life just got better.

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah W. | 6 comments My husband is a chef... he might be thanking you too, before long!

message 5: by Linda (new)

Linda (lindajl) Thank you Clark! I am one of the ones who commented it's hard to find old gothic suspense novels. Thanks for the info on Open Library, what a great find.

message 6: by Clark (new)

Clark | 6 comments Stacy, I sure hope I didn't upset you when I shared your great list of gothic romances! I didn't realize they were yours. I use other peoples book lists for an easy way to find more gothics. That was the idea that I was trying to get across. Again, I hope I didn't offend you. Sorry!

message 7: by Stacy (new)

Stacy | 8 comments Thank you so much Clark. I love it.

message 8: by Jocelyn (new)

Jocelyn (jocylyn711) | 1 comments This was super helpful! I have been looking at my library and used book stores for Phyllis Whitney and this site has a ton of her books. Thanks for the suggestion!

message 9: by Clark (new)

Clark | 6 comments I'm so glad people are checking into this site. When I found it I was so in disbelief that all these old books were available, and free to read online! Yes, there is really a free lunch in this day and age. The only downside is once you are on openlibrary.org the finding of the books you want to read is a little challenging. Unless you know the author's name or the name of the book, then you should search through other people's lists on openlibrary.org like mine for example: https://openlibrary.org/people/bradyb...

message 10: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie Seiwell | 5 comments I prefer physical copies of books. I live in Baltimore, so I get most of my Gothics from a place called the Book Thing. It is entirely free and the limit is 150,000 books per person per date. The only problem with this is that I don't drive and have to find a friend who is willing to go, and it is only open Saturday and Sunday between 9am and 6pm. However, I don't think someone with a 400+ Gothic collection needs to worry about new books for awhile.

message 11: by Clark (new)

Clark | 6 comments Wow, you sure have a lot of gothic books on your list! I've only have 340 on mine. I'm going to have to take another look at your list. I would bet that you've got the largest gothic list in all of OpenLibrary.org. Congratulations!