What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Historical Romance where Heroine writes under a pseudonym to newspaper, hero reads it and plays Devil's advocate, grandmother pretends she can't hear well, says improper things

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jadorie (new)

Jadorie | 12 comments I can't for the life of me remember how i found this book and where i read it and of course, the title. On to what i remember.

The heroine has a large family in a small country town, i think, maybe four siblings and her grandmother lives with them and is a cause of great embarassment when they have guests over because she responds to people as improper as she possibly can and blames it on her lack of hearing. Later on, the heroine and readers learn it's all a ploy to cause discomfort in her boredom. I remember them not being very rich but the heroine is of course the most sensible out of her siblings.

She also writes articles for the local newspaper but it must not be very local if the hero comes across it and he's supposedly very wealthy, if not apart of the ton. What ensues is the hero writing back and playing the Devil's advocate by taking the opposite side of the heroine even though he agrees with her most of the time, just to see how she responds and if she'd be a good match for him. After many months (?) of this he realizes she is his match and hires someone to find where she lives.

He goes where that is and his uncle or some older male relative of his, i don't quite remember, lives there so he stays with him (i think, unless he purchases his own estate nearby, but i could be mixing up stories). He also says he doesn't care how she looks before even seeing her because he feels their intellectual conversations would more than well make up for however she will look. He is plesantly surprised when she is handsome. Also the heroine's grandmother and the hero's male relative know one another and they visit each other often to play some card/board game popular during that time.

One scene i do remember in particular is when the bridge seperating the hero's home and the road to town is flooded, the hero picks her up and crosses.

message 2: by Kris (new)

Kris | 33251 comments Mod
The Reluctant Reformer by Lynsay Sands?

Megan, around what year did you year this historical romance?

What type of articles did the heroine write (e.g., gossip about the ton, social reform, etc.)?

message 3: by Beebs (new)

Beebs (yvond) | 113 comments Megan wrote: "I can't for the life of me remember how i found this book and where i read it and of course, the title. On to what i remember.

The heroine has a large family in a small country town, i think, mayb..."

Possibly Terri Brisbin The Earl's Secret (The MacLerie Clan #4) by Terri Brisbin

message 4: by Michelle °O° (new)

Michelle °O° | 154 comments Possibly?? A Gentleman Says "I Do" (The Rogues' Dynasty, #5) by Amelia Grey

message 5: by Jordan (new)

Jordan (freemajo) | 40 comments This sounds like something Julia Quinn would write.

Midniteillusion (Desiree) (midniteillusion) | 91 comments I was going to say the first part of your description sounds like the Bridgerton series by Julia Quinn, specifically Romancing Mister Bridgerton

message 7: by Jadorie (new)

Jadorie | 12 comments Kris wrote: "The Reluctant Reformer by Lynsay Sands?

What type of articles did the heroine write (e.g., gossip about t..."

Kris wrote: "The Reluctant Reformer by Lynsay Sands?

What type of articles did the heroine write (e.g., gossip about t..."

No, that's not it. It didn't have any sex scenes, it was like a Georgette Heyer type book. I don't know what year it was written. And the heroine wrote intellectual articles, maybe on society and its affect or social reform, but it was never gossip about the ton.

message 8: by Jadorie (new)

Jadorie | 12 comments Beebs wrote: "Megan wrote: "I can't for the life of me remember how i found this book and where i read it and of course, the title. On to what i remember.

The heroine has a large family in a small country town,..."

No, it's not this one either. I just read one of the reviews for it and in the book im looking for, the hero begins writing replies back to the herione because he finds her thinking stimulating. He begins writing because of her, not because he was a writer on his own. Also, when they first meet, he knows exactly who she is because he hired someone to find her. Im thinking, if remember correctly, he has to marry before a certain time to receive his inheritance or something like that but he doesn't want to marry someone with a simple mind and boring conversation so that's why he chooses her.

message 9: by Jadorie (new)

Jadorie | 12 comments Michelle °O° wrote: "Possibly?? A Gentleman Says "I Do" (The Rogues' Dynasty, #5) by Amelia Grey"

Nope. No one in her family is famous and no one knows she writes for the newspaper.

message 10: by Jadorie (new)

Jadorie | 12 comments Jordan wrote: "This sounds like something Julia Quinn would write."

I keep hearing her name for this type of genre, but none of her books stand out parallel with this summary?

message 11: by Jadorie (new)

Jadorie | 12 comments Midniteillusion wrote: "I was going to say the first part of your description sounds like the Bridgerton series by Julia Quinn, specifically Romancing Mister Bridgerton"

Not this one either. The heroine hasn't grown up with the hero, the first time they meet is when he arrives at her home under a pretense when in actuality he just wanted to meet her.

message 12: by Beebs (new)

Beebs (yvond) | 113 comments Megan wrote: "Midniteillusion wrote: "I was going to say the first part of your description sounds like the Bridgerton series by Julia Quinn, specifically Romancing Mister Bridgerton"

Not this one..."

You could check out this list Megan, might be there https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/1...

message 13: by Jadorie (new)

Jadorie | 12 comments Beebs wrote: "Megan wrote: "Midniteillusion wrote: "I was going to say the first part of your description sounds like the Bridgerton series by Julia Quinn, specifically Romancing Mister Bridgerton"..."

Ok, thank you!

message 14: by Aerulan (new)

Aerulan | 1190 comments Just tossing this out there but it's been so long since I read it I can't say if it really fits all of your details.

Crossed Quills by Carola Dunn

message 16: by Jadorie (new)

Jadorie | 12 comments Aerulan wrote: "Just tossing this out there but it's been so long since I read it I can't say if it really fits all of your details.

Crossed Quills by Carola Dunn"

Nope. The heroine's father isn't dead and he was never a writer, none of her family is famous. Also, the hero only replies to her articles, he doesn't have a seperate writing career on his own. On a side note, if I remember correctly, they were supposed to receive a bigger inheritance from one of recenttly deceased relatives which they were going to use to renovate their parlor but they didn't. Thanks for the suggestion though!

message 17: by Jadorie (new)

Jadorie | 12 comments Alex wrote: "The Bluestocking and the Rake"

No, not this one either. The heroine doesn't have a past and the hero is a gentleman. Also, the heroine never writes about the hero. Thank you for the suggestion though.

message 18: by Jadorie (new)

Jadorie | 12 comments Reposted this today since I've stopped getting suggestions: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 19: by Kris (new)

Closed this duplicate thread.

Please post new comments here - https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 20: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37753 comments Mod
Combining threads.

Kris asked if there was a spy subplot, as in The Miss Mirren Mission.

Jadorie responded: "I don't think so. It was a pretty simple and straightforward plot focused only on the romance between the two. Some side characters had their moments like the grandmother, but that's it."

message 21: by Maranda (new)

Maranda | 11 comments Maybe something from here?
https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/1...

message 22: by Rosalyn (last edited Nov 07, 2019 05:37PM) (new)

Rosalyn | 41 comments This is a shot in the dark as I haven't read it

Scandal by the Ton by Virginia Henley?

Also, I realize the blurb doesn't match what you remember about heroine writing intellectual articles. But a review I found states "The grandmother pretends to be deaf and says salacious things" so that's mainly the reason I'm suggesting it.

message 23: by Kris (new)

Jadorie, are you still looking for this book or did you find it?

message 24: by Jadorie (new)

Jadorie | 12 comments Hi Rosalyn! Tried reading Scandal By The Ton by Virginia Henley and it wasn't that book. The hero never meets the heroine until he's sure (after corresponding back and forth with her) that she's the one for him.

message 25: by Jadorie (new)

Jadorie | 12 comments Haven't found it Kris, and just realizing Goodreads must've deleted my more recent post about it which I'd posted after remembering more details. It was years ago at this point so I'm not sure what the difference was. If I find it, I'll update this post!

message 26: by Kris (new)

You've created one request thread in this group. You can find your threads by clicking "My Group Topics" or My Group Comments" on the group's homepage (in the right hand column). This only works on the Desktop or Mobile websites, not the app.