Obsessed with True Crime discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive > Book Suggestions! PLEASE!

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Casey (new)

Casey | 6 comments I love true crime books I just finished one the serial killer whisperer it wasn't like your average true crime book I highly recommend it but I'm looking for a new read I kinda been looking for some about cults but open to all suggestions...thanks in advance

message 2: by Beth (new)

Beth Carpenter (emma2009) | 46 comments I read a book about Jim Jones and the Jonestown cult entitled 'RAVEN' by Jim Reiteman and John Jacobs.
It follows Jim Jones through his childhood into adulthood. To me it gave me a sense of why Jim Jones turned out the way he did.
I highly recommend it.

message 3: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia F. (goodreadscomsnflwr5501) | 4 comments I have read 2 that I absolutely loved.

Green River, Running Red The Real Story of the Green River Killer--America's Deadliest Serial Murderer by Ann Rule and The Stranger Beside Me Ted Bundy The Shocking Inside Story by Ann Rule

message 4: by Casey (new)

Casey | 6 comments Thanks yall I'll check them out

message 5: by Emma (new)

Emma (oohthatsabingo) | 3 comments I enjoy Devil's Knot by Mara Leveritt. It's a well written book about The West Memphis 3. It isn't exactly to do with cults, but lots of people originally believed (and still do, probably) that the three murders were cult related. That's the best I can do in terms of books relating to cults - at least now I know what to read more about, ha.

One true crime book that is not cult related but I also really enjoy is Invisible Darkness by Stephen Williams - interesting true crime book about serial killer couple Paul Bernardo and Karla Homolka. Might be hard to find but would recommend.

message 6: by Casey (new)

Casey | 6 comments It does have to be about cults I just haven't found one about cults so I was kinda interested I'm from Mississippi so our book stores don't have much but I love reading but the book has to keep my interest so I've always been scared to start on a book that I've seen the movie on or something I'm scared I'll lose interest

message 7: by Lisa (last edited Aug 09, 2015 09:16PM) (new)

Lisa | 6 comments The one that comes to mind for methat is probably one of the most well known would be Helter Skelter: The True Story of the Manson Murders

message 8: by Dachokie (new)

Dachokie | 3 comments I watched the "Inside the American Mafia" series on Netflix and it led me to buying "Five Families" and "Murder Machine". "Five Families" is the fascinating account of the extremely violent history of New York's five major mafia families. "Murder Machine" is about the the mafia mass murderer Roy DeMao (who was supposedly worse than the infamous killer he employed, Richard "Iceman" Kuklinski).

While the mafia isn't a "cult", the commitment to the organization (like outlaw bike clubs), certainly has cult-like qualities and the violence is pretty profound.

message 9: by Casey (new)

Casey | 6 comments Thanks I used the word "cult" but I'm interested in any kind of secret societies or gangs basically any thing in that spectrum

message 10: by Casey (new)

Casey | 6 comments Thanks I used the word "cult" but I'm interested in any kind of secret societies or gangs basically any thing in that spectrum

message 11: by Stefani (new)

Stefani Koorey (skoorey) | 1 comments Try Lizzie Borden on for size. An unsolved murder, a woman who never spoke about her ordeal again and lived out her life in the city where her father and stepmother were brutally slain with a hatchet.....some think her guilty. What say you after reading some choice books on the subject? The Trial of Lizzie Borden Book One by Harold Widdows The Preliminary Hearing in the Lizzie Borden Case, New Edition by Stefani Koorey Lizzie Borden Resurrections A History of the People Surrounding the Borden Case Before, During, and After the Trial by Sherry Chapman

Then some rather good fiction is out there too!
Lizzie Borden, The Girl with the Pansy Pin by Michael Thomas Brimbau The Minuscule Monk A Lizzie Borden, Girl Detective Mystery by Richard Behrens

message 13: by Warren (new)

Warren Olson (warrenolson) | 3 comments Likewise, this tale 75% factual - I know as I investigated the case - Bangkok, 2002.
ALL ABOUT BLACKMAIL -

message 15: by Casey (new)

Casey | 6 comments Gracious y'all thank you for all the suggestions I wasn't sure about this app but I love it none of my friends or family read or like reading what I do so this is a lot of help and fun

message 17: by Susan (new)

Susan Tejada (goodreadscomsusan_tejada) | 17 comments E-book special until December 31:
"In Search of Sacco and Vanzetti: Double Lives, Troubled Times, and the Massachusetts Murder Case That Shook the World" will be available for $1.99 from Amazon, Apple iBooks, Barnes & Noble, Google, and Kobo. This re-examination of a controversial case from the 1920s won the Gold Medal for True Crime in the Independent Publishers Book Awards.
http://www.amazon.com/Search-Sacco-Va...

message 19: by Fishface (last edited Jan 15, 2016 09:06AM) (new)

Fishface | 12660 comments Two of the best books I read last year were TC -- Charles Ramsey's Dead Giveaway: The Rescue, Hamburgers, White Folks, and Instant Celebrity... What You Saw on TV Doesn't Begin to Tell the Story... and Paull Hill's PORTAIT OF A SADIST. (yes, that's how he spells his first name.) I also greatly enjoyed American Taboo: A Murder in the Peace Corps by an author named Weiss, and I'm currently re-reading Lowell Cauffiel's Masquerade. That one gets better every time.

message 20: by Fishface (last edited Jan 15, 2016 09:04AM) (new)

Fishface | 12660 comments One really good one about cults is Rod Colvin's Evil Harvest: The True Story of Cult Murder in the American Heartland. Another one I read last year and really liked is about a Quebecois cult -- Savage Messiah. Both were really good reads.

message 21: by Fishface (last edited Jan 15, 2016 08:24AM) (new)

Fishface | 12660 comments Another really interesting cult case is almost forgotten now; the only book I was able to find about it was The MOVE Crisis in Philadelphia: Extremist Groups and Conflict Resolution by a guy named Assefa. There's also a documentary about it you can watch, called LET THE FIRE BURN.

message 22: by King (new)

King Steelo (kingsteelo) if you love true crime books check out my book Behind The Razor Wired Fence or urban fiction crime check out my book Big Girls Need Love Too both are available on Amazon
www.amazon.com/author/kingsteelo

message 23: by Lady ♥ Belleza, Gif Princesa (new)

Lady ♥ Belleza (bella_foxx) | 3390 comments Mod
King wrote: "if you love true crime books check out my book Behind The Razor Wired Fence or urban fiction crime check out my book Big Girls Need Love Too both are available on Amazon
www.amazon.com/author/kings..."

King, would you mind posting this in the "True Crime Authors" folder? Thanks!
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/group...

message 25: by King (new)

King Steelo (kingsteelo) come check out true crime, urban life and even a New Orleans vampire tale... www.amazon.com/author/kingsteelo

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.