Dangerous Hero Addict Support Group discussion

Food for Thought > First Impressions

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Pamela(AllHoney), Danger Zone (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 1706 comments Mod
How important is the first impressions of the hero and heroine? I've read a few where the first impression was really bad and the hero or heroine seemed doomed from the first. But the authors manage to change those impressions in the course of the story.

So what are your thoughts?

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) | 9700 comments Mod
I think the first impression is pretty important. If you don't like them initially, there at least has to be something that makes you want to keep reading the book. I like to see character growth, so I don't mind a broken, flawed hero or heroine. But I want to have something there to keep me reading.

message 3: by Pamela(AllHoney), Danger Zone (new)

I've always liked the sexy first impressions. Where the hero or heroine is stopped dead in their tracks by the appearance of the other. But that is only lust, right? lol But there is something about having a bad first impression. They must redeem themselves in some way or have a good reason for it. In Sweet Dreams the hero said some cruel things because he was angry about a situation that had nothing to do with the heroine. I really hated him for that. But he managed to make me love him fairly quickly after that.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) | 9700 comments Mod
I think I answered your question wrong. I thought you meant the reader's first impression of the characters.

The H/h's first impressions of each other really set the tone. Honestly, I kind of like when they don't like each other at first, because there is more tension that way and you see their feelings change in a hopefully believable way over the course of the book.

I agree that the redemption process is crucial. Even if the hero sucks at first, I can get past it if they do a good job redeeming the hero. Or vice versa.

message 5: by Pamela(AllHoney), Danger Zone (new)

Yes, I guess I needed to make my question a little more clear. We know why I'm not a writer, eh?

message 6: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 395 comments I'm a big fan of characters who don't like each initially, gruff heroes, and marriages of convenience. I think it all stems from my love for Beauty and the Beast when I was younger. So for me I don't have to initially love the hero and instantly feel the love or attraction.

I remember when I first read Sweet Dreams (Colorado Mountain, #2) by Kristen Ashley , I wasn't sure I'd like Tate but KA redeemed him :)

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 95 comments I don't mind it so much when I dislike them at the start of the book and then can like them later on as the characters are developed. In fact, if the secondary lead is unlikable and gets developed several books in before I truly like them I don't mind. As long as the lead and I click at some point.

I will admit that I've read series where the first book made me dislike the lead, but things clicked in later books in the series. This annoys me, but it's also one of the reasons that reading two to three books into a series is a good idea.

Pamela(AllHoney) wrote: "Yes, I guess I needed to make my question a little more clear. We know why I'm not a writer, eh?"

Oh, no I just read it wrong. You're just fine.

Tammy wrote: "I'm a big fan of characters who don't like each initially, gruff heroes, and marriages of convenience. I think it all stems from my love for Beauty and the Beast when I was younger. So for me I don..."

I agree!

message 10: by Arch (new)

Arch  | 4119 comments Mod
I think that first impression is important. I love tension and like Danielle, I like when the hero and heroine don't like each other right off the bat. I can tell when a hero and heroine likes each other, even if they start off as nemesis. I don't like forced tension and forced connection -That's boring.. A hero and heroine doesn't have to be together, because they are the hero and heroine of the book. Honestly, books like this, I can tell that the hero and heroine doesn't last past the last page.

message 11: by Katya (last edited Aug 14, 2015 03:32PM) (new)

Katya | 327 comments To me, first impressions are paramount. I will DNF a book if I dislike the heroine or hero in the first 30 pages.....unless I am supposed to not like him.

If the story is about a gruff, mean guy who lets a women worm into his heart and he softens toward him then I am okay with that.....Some paranormal romances have some gritty, nasty heroes with foul mouths...but are redeemed by the heroine - again, I expect his bad behavior. I can dislike his behavior and manner as long as I expect it.

I also have had to put a book down when a hero or heroine reminds me of someone in my real life whom i dislike.....it is hard to get it out of your mind.

Another thing on first impressions: Book Covers They are very important to me. If they don't match the description in the book or are copycats covers or irritate me, I won't read the book...no matter what.

message 12: by Cindi (new)

Cindi (ourtrumpcard) | 381 comments Katya, you are so right! It aggravates me when the publishers don't even TRY to match the cover model to the hero - which I bet is why they moved toward the Headless Hero. And I don't like Insta-Love mostly because it triggers my own emotional insecurities since it never happened to me and I'm jealous. Besides, like Arch Starrett said, it's boring...

message 13: by Arch (new)

Arch  | 4119 comments Mod
Lol Cindi. Arch Starrett : )

I don't mind insta-love if it's done in a way that sustains suspense. To me, it's a romance novel not reality thing, so I'm okay with it.

@Katya, I sometimes will have a very visceral dislike for a character and it's hard to move past that. I felt that way about the heroine in Prince Joe. I couldn't stand her so much, I couldn't even keep reading the book.