Support for Indie Authors discussion

Archived Marketing No New Posts > Anyone else notice that they can make more royalties selling books manually?

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Idav (new)

Idav Kelly (alixe_tiir) | 37 comments I mean, when I go to createspace, I can order copies of The Leprechaun Delusion for 6.27 USD, and the price point is 16.95. That nets me about 10-11$ whereas I get less than five or so from royalties through amazon. Because of this, I'd honestly like to sell them to people in my local area, but they're not really my niche, sadly.

message 2: by Morris (last edited Aug 07, 2015 10:29AM) (new)

Morris Graham (morris_g) Absolutely. You can even do this. You can buy the book, ship it straight to your customer. If you do it this way, it is the same cost that you pay. The only downside is that they will get your shipping invoice with how much it costs you, and the price is single-cost sale, not a better price if you order multiples. The other drawback if ship direct is you can't sign them. However, if you do that, you pay for shipping twice.

But, if you have a local market, like a book signing of local book store, buy in bulk for the discount, and sell direct. My aunt speaks in churches and sells a lot of paperbacks direct off her book table after the speaking engagement.

message 3: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 2491 comments I'd do that if only I could sell. The thing is when I'm face to face with someone I end up giving my stuff free. That's why I don't do garage sales either. :P
Crazy, I know. :/

message 4: by Erica (new)

Erica Stinson (goodreadscomerica_r_stinson) | 139 comments This is what I did when I had my book signing. We ordered 100 copies of the book and sold them for $15 each. The only problem was that we didn't factor in the cost of the shipping so we didn't really make nearly as much because we didn't factor in the shipping. Next time we plan to price higher to avoid this or I would probably give Lulu a try since they sometimes offer free shipping.

message 5: by Erica (new)

Erica Stinson (goodreadscomerica_r_stinson) | 139 comments This is what I did when I had my book signing. We ordered 100 copies of the book and sold them for $15 each. The only problem was that we didn't factor in the cost of the shipping so we didn't really make nearly as much because we didn't factor in the shipping. Next time we plan to price higher to avoid this or I would probably give Lulu a try since they sometimes offer free shipping.

message 6: by Morris (new)

Morris Graham (morris_g) $15? My book is over 300 pages with Create Space, and my cost for 100 copies for $509.00, and that includes shipping. Yes, these are paperbacks, but you should be able to sell straight to a customer for much less than $15 if you ordered 100 copies.

message 7: by Micah (new)

Micah Sisk (micahrsisk) | 1042 comments G.G. wrote: "I'd do that if only I could sell. The thing is when I'm face to face with someone I end up giving my stuff free..."

And here I was wondering if I should jack my prices up some before I head off to Worldcon and try to sell some eBooks! ];P

message 8: by Idav (new)

Idav Kelly (alixe_tiir) | 37 comments G.G. wrote: "I'd do that if only I could sell. The thing is when I'm face to face with someone I end up giving my stuff free. That's why I don't do garage sales either. :P
Crazy, I know. :/"

Sounds like your barter skill is like, level -15. My suggestion: create a price that you absolutely will not go below, and then start the proposition charging more than that. That way the customer thinks they're getting a deal by "haggling you down" when you really sold them the thing for the price you wanted

message 9: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 2491 comments Thanks for the tip Idav. That's an excellent idea.

Micah, as per Idav said, maybe it would be a great idea to jack up your prices if you're like me. :P

message 10: by Denae (new)

Denae Christine (denaechristine) | 167 comments Yes, same thing as selling face-to-face. Most of my sales are in person with the paperback, actually. If they prefer kindle, I'll give them a bookmark to remind them. I ran into a lot of people who don't carry cash, so it's worth buying a square reader ($10) for credit cards. I just got 60 in the mail this week.

message 11: by Susan (new)

Susan Stafford | 230 comments G.G. wrote: "I'd do that if only I could sell. The thing is when I'm face to face with someone I end up giving my stuff free. That's why I don't do garage sales either. :P

I'm the same way G.G.!!

message 12: by Cat (new)

Cat Blount | 11 comments LOL!

G.G. wrote: "I'd do that if only I could sell. The thing is when I'm face to face with someone I end up giving my stuff free. That's why I don't do garage sales either. :P