Writing in your Heart discussion

Publishing > Small Publishers

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 163 comments Mod
So before I started publishing my new series I played with the idea of going with an independent publisher. One of those boutique ones. I think they can be great for writers and my thing was distribution. However, I don't know if they can get a farther reach than me. I'm setting up this thread to ask for input on these small publishers. What do you all think? And if you know some good ones, will you please post them? Thanks!

message 2: by Carole (new)

Carole P. Roman If you go with a small publisher- do you have to pay for anything?

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 163 comments Mod
Carole wrote: "If you go with a small publisher- do you have to pay for anything?"

Good question, Carole. I was hoping you'd weigh in on this one. So I'm guessing you don't use one? I didn't think so. Anyway, from my research, the reputable ones don't cost. They actually take care of cover and editing and save the author on those expenses. My concern with that when I looked into it was would their covers and editing be up to my standards. I'm not sure and think it depends on the publisher.

message 4: by Carole (new)

Carole P. Roman I met someone who was picked up by a publisher. They printed a bunch of books, got it to Publisher's Weekly and got her a few signings. When we compared sources, I had way more freedom to seek out reviews and enter our books in contests than she did. I was able to advertise my book anywhere I wanted, whether I chose bloggers (inexpensive and abundant) or full page ads in well known advertisers (Very costly). Print on Demand is an efficient way to publish, because if you can stir up interest in your book, you don't have to share royalties, and can have an unlimited run. Once they ( a publisher) decide they have invested enough in her book, they won't print anymore- she won't be able to print books because of contracts and it will disappear. It will fall into that category of OUT of Print. I published a historical romance about twenty five years ago under my real name, there was a limited amount printed. I sold one copy. It died on the vine. You can still find a few copies for the amazing price of $300.00 each plus shipping and handling with those small bookstores on Amazon. lol.

As far as the cover is concerned, we used 99 designs, found an artist that we liked and have used him exclusively. It was cheaper than Createspace's artists, who used stock images. We use Createspace for editing. We buy two packages, but booboo's continue to show up. Because it's print on demand- we are able to correct them and rerelease the book with the improvements. We've also been able to put jpegs of different awards the books have won- I don't think a publisher will do that.

message 5: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 163 comments Mod
Carole wrote: "I met someone who was picked up by a publisher. They printed a bunch of books, got it to Publisher's Weekly and got her a few signings. When we compared sources, I had way more freedom to seek out ..."

This is in line with my assumptions. I like total freedom. Before I started the publishing process I thought it would be overwhelming, and it can be, but once you get into it it's very doable. I'm a perfectionist and a control freak so I like having the autonomy. And I've heard those restrictions about publishers. No thanks. I want to do what I want, when I want with my books.

I used 99 designs too and still contract the same designer who won my first contest. And I have an editor who I prefer to work with. There's always errors, but you're right, we have the flexibility to change them when they arise.

Also, I'm like you're son and churn out novels pretty fast. Am I right that most publishers, especially traditional, don't want to put out more than one title by the same author in a year? That's been my experience. Last year I published three and this year I'll publish four books and I'm not sure that's something a publisher would support.

message 6: by Carole (last edited Aug 07, 2015 04:32PM) (new)

Carole P. Roman I agree with you- However it looks like they are changing to keep up with the indie tsunami that is hitting the publishing world. Every time I turn on the tv, I see James Patterson turning out another book with a "partner" or co-writer. The only way to make money is to have multiple books for sale. One of my series is our biggest soft cover revenue. My son's paranormals sell more Kindles. So it's kind of a balance. His sci-fi series didn't do well, but the paranormals made up for it. I try to advertise the more popular books, hoping if they like his work, they will look at the others. I just bought your first book- I like soft covers, so I won't get it until next week. I'll post a review after I read it.

message 7: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 163 comments Mod
Carole wrote: "I agree with you- However it looks like they are changing to keep up with the indie tsunami that is hitting the publishing world. Every time I turn on the tv, I see James Patterson turning out anot..."

Oh wow! Thanks so much! I'm truly honored. I hope you enjoy.

That's true about the market changing. I've noticed that. And it's great that the indie impact has made them start rethinking their strategies. It's fantastic when the little guys can intimidate a giant.

message 8: by Carole (new)

Carole P. Roman Sarah wrote: "Carole wrote: "I agree with you- However it looks like they are changing to keep up with the indie tsunami that is hitting the publishing world. Every time I turn on the tv, I see James Patterson t..."

You're most welcome. I think we all have to support each other. I try to read and review books of anybody I work with. I recently did an author's night at our local library and I read and reviewed every one of the authors who were there that night. I was the only one who did that. I don't know, I built my whole business on lending support where it is needed.

It will be interesting to see if one of the "giants" or
"super stars" in publishing will go the indie route.

message 9: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 163 comments Mod
Carole wrote: "Sarah wrote: "Carole wrote: "I agree with you- However it looks like they are changing to keep up with the indie tsunami that is hitting the publishing world. Every time I turn on the tv, I see Jam..."

That's exactly what makes you successful then. I've seen it time and time again with business owners. Those who give always get something back and usually more than they gave.

I know! That will be super interesting to see. I think anything is possible with the changing market.

message 10: by Carole (new)

Carole P. Roman ;)

message 11: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 163 comments Mod
Carole wrote: ";)"

So I saw this article and it reminded me of our discussion. #14 is an indie! And I'm actually hearing more about indies getting agents, but not using them to get publishers. I like where this is going.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/bo...

message 12: by Carole (new)

Carole P. Roman great article!!!

message 13: by Carole (new)

Carole P. Roman Sarah wrote: "Carole wrote: ";)"

So I saw this article and it reminded me of our discussion. #14 is an indie! And I'm actually hearing more about indies getting agents, but not using them to get publishers. I l..."

"Her first novel was priced at £1.99 – not cheap by Kindle standards – and began to get noticed after Abbott used her marketing experience to get exposure through social media and forums."

I think it's all in the marketing. Probably with all the indies, the best business is going to be marketing the indie writers and cutting out all the agents and publishers. That is pretty much what we all are doing.

"Unsurprisingly, the top ten bestselling books are dominated by film adaptations and Fifty Shades."

The other thing is getting a movie deal. I know they ( production companies) comb the best sellers lists- we've been contacted by two production companies for two separate books- but no deal yet. It has to go through so many people, and even if they buy it- it can land in production hell and never get produced.

message 14: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 163 comments Mod
Carole wrote: "Sarah wrote: "Carole wrote: ";)"

So I saw this article and it reminded me of our discussion. #14 is an indie! And I'm actually hearing more about indies getting agents, but not using them to get p..."

Yes, marketing. That part in the article about the author using her marketing background wasn't lost on me. Cutting out publishers, especially when you have it down as well as you do, is key. I'm intrigued about the idea of a publicist, but I've also heard mixed things. I'm just running out of bandwidth at this point. I have three books out and four coming out in the next four months and then more after that. I feel like I have a bunch of unruly toddlers running around my house begging for my attention. I'm not sure if I'm deluding myself by thinking an agent or publicist could make my job easier.

That's interesting to know about the movie part of it. The Martian is getting a lot of press because that was an indie published book that went to the big screen. I think that's what we'd all like to see in the end, and yet there's so many uncontrollable factors.

message 15: by Carole (new)

Carole P. Roman Sarah wrote: "Carole wrote: "Sarah wrote: "Carole wrote: ";)"

So I saw this article and it reminded me of our discussion. #14 is an indie! And I'm actually hearing more about indies getting agents, but not usin..."

Have you thought about trying to see if you could get an intern from one of the local colleges. I hired a student who is getting a PR degree and she has been helpful with fresh ideas and with the job of getting mailings out. Many schools have work programs where the interns work for credit to learn what the job is like. I have her looking on the internet to find bloggers to review. She's done ads, gone with me on our book-readings and has even gotten me a few personal appearances.

message 16: by Carole (new)

Carole P. Roman Sarah wrote: "Carole wrote: "Sarah wrote: "Carole wrote: ";)"

So I saw this article and it reminded me of our discussion. #14 is an indie! And I'm actually hearing more about indies getting agents, but not usin..."

Regarding the movie aspect, my son turns many of the books into scripts and loads them on a script reviewing site (I don't remember the name) and seems to get some interest from there. When he writes, he uses a book called Save the Cat as a sort of guide. It's a how to book on movie scripts and he says it helps him keep him from going off on tangents.

message 17: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 163 comments Mod
Carole wrote: "Sarah wrote: "Carole wrote: "Sarah wrote: "Carole wrote: ";)"

So I saw this article and it reminded me of our discussion. #14 is an indie! And I'm actually hearing more about indies getting agents..."

That's really good info. I might look into that. Couldn't hurt. But it's not like I don't have enough to do. Oh well, there's always the future. Will you please ask him what the website is? Thanks!

message 18: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 163 comments Mod
Carole wrote: "Sarah wrote: "Carole wrote: "Sarah wrote: "Carole wrote: ";)"

So I saw this article and it reminded me of our discussion. #14 is an indie! And I'm actually hearing more about indies getting agents..."

That's a stellar idea. Do you pay her at all or is it solely for credit? We have some great colleges and universities in my area. I'd love to do this.

message 19: by Carole (new)

Carole P. Roman I pay her hourly- but I am in a position where I can- I'm sure you could get a school who wold honor your work hours as credits. Let me know how you do.

message 20: by Carole (new)

Carole P. Roman The script site is called Script Pipeline. I don't know much about it. I think people review scripts there for a nominal fee and offer advice- but I heard that someone had a script picked up from there and got a movie deal. Books/scripts- I'm just saying that it's a marriage made in heaven.

message 21: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 163 comments Mod
Carole wrote: "The script site is called Script Pipeline. I don't know much about it. I think people review scripts there for a nominal fee and offer advice- but I heard that someone had a script picked up from t..."

Thank you for both of these pieces of information. I'm going to check into both. Getting some help would definitely be an immediate plus. Really love all your expert advice. :)

message 22: by Carole (new)

Carole P. Roman Thanks Sarah, glad to help. You have some pretty amazing ideas too!

message 23: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 163 comments Mod
Carole wrote: "Thanks Sarah, glad to help. You have some pretty amazing ideas too!"

Thank you! And I'm always happy to share. I'll pass them along to you as they come. :)

message 24: by Carole (new)

Carole P. Roman Carole wrote: "Thanks Sarah, glad to help. You have some pretty amazing ideas too!"
This was in my mailbox this morning

Why join BookstoFilm.org ?

Some of the best movies have been based on books - Cold Mountain, The Godfather, Bridget Jones' Diary, Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil,
Prince of Tides, Forrest Gump, L.A. Confidential. Your book could be next! Wouldn't you like to have your book or screenplay made into a movie?

BookstoFilm.org

Year after year thousands of books, manuscripts and screenplays go unnoticed when they might have been entertaining, educational, and award-winning films - if only they had the opportunity to reach the right people at the right time. We believe that given the chance, one of these books could be the next big independent or blockbuster film. Bookstofilm.org supports small press and traditional press alongside independent filmmakers and major studios.

Filmmakers who are interested in a book, manuscript or screenplay in our catalog should contact the author and/or the representative directly via the contact information provided in the ad. Bookstofilm.org is not a literary or film agency; We simply provide promotional opportunities for writers to present their works and ideas to filmmakers.

We will work hard to find the right fit and interest for your work. We have the contacts and you have the project. Put us to work today!

BookstoFilm.org publishes 2 catalogs per year which are distributed to over 2500 film producers, directors, studios, and film agents nationwide.

Get your full-page color ad in our catalog containing book summary, book review, book photo, book ordering information, author bio, author contact
information, and representation information.

FALL/Winter 2015 (Color/Half Page) $75
FALL/Winter 2015 (Color/Full page) $100

Email us today at Info@bookstofilm.org for more information or to get your listing in our Catalog.

Visit BookstoFilm.org

message 25: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 163 comments Mod
Carole wrote: "Carole wrote: "Thanks Sarah, glad to help. You have some pretty amazing ideas too!"
This was in my mailbox this morning

Why join BookstoFilm.org ?

Some of the best movies have been based on boo..."

This is very intriguing. Thanks so much for sharing. This isn't the site your son had used. Do you think BookstoFilm is reputable?

message 26: by Carole (new)

Carole P. Roman He must have used it, because when you open the site- the sample book is his. He is pretty careful about these- I don't get involved. Movie publicity is his forte- I handle the book end of publicity.

message 27: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 163 comments Mod
Carole wrote: "He must have used it, because when you open the site- the sample book is his. He is pretty careful about these- I don't get involved. Movie publicity is his forte- I handle the book end of publicity."

Thanks for the reply and the information. I'm going to check it out. It could be a really easy way to open up new opportunities.

message 28: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 163 comments Mod
Sarah wrote: "Carole wrote: "He must have used it, because when you open the site- the sample book is his. He is pretty careful about these- I don't get involved. Movie publicity is his forte- I handle the book ..."

Oh and I just went to website. There's his book! So cool.

message 29: by Carole (new)

Carole P. Roman Sarah wrote: "Sarah wrote: "Carole wrote: "He must have used it, because when you open the site- the sample book is his. He is pretty careful about these- I don't get involved. Movie publicity is his forte- I ha..."

Can you tell me which one- I couldn't open it-

message 30: by Carole (new)

Carole P. Roman Sarah wrote: "Sarah wrote: "Carole wrote: "He must have used it, because when you open the site- the sample book is his. He is pretty careful about these- I don't get involved. Movie publicity is his forte- I ha..."

I found it, lol. I'm telling him to update it. A mom's work is never done.