Bibliomaniacs (MY) discussion

Harry Potter Readalong > HP #1 : Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone

Comments Showing 1-47 of 47 (47 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Suraya (thesuraya) (thesuraya) | 18 comments If theres anything you wish to write here regarding the book one ; list of spells, funny/sad moments, questions, ANYTHING AT ALL-- here you go !

LET THE MAGIC BEGIN !

message 2: by AmeliaaXavier (new)

AmeliaaXavier | 50 comments Mod
the feels!!!! man~ and I'm currently downloading the audiobooks to have more feels haha

message 3: by Liyana (new)

Liyana (liyanamz) | 14 comments Gosh I forgot most of the spells haha

message 4: by AmeliaaXavier (new)

Sunshine, daisies, butter mellow,
Turn this stupid, fat rat yellow!

xD

message 5: by Hajar Y, (new)

Hajar Y, (quillandkindle) | 19 comments Amelia wrote: "the feels!!!! man~ and I'm currently downloading the audiobooks to have more feels haha"

Which version that you choose, Amelia? Jim Dale @ Stephen Fry?

message 6: by Nur Raihan (new)

Nur Raihan (byeraihan) | 19 comments Mod
Shy wrote: "Amelia wrote: "the feels!!!! man~ and I'm currently downloading the audiobooks to have more feels haha"

Which version that you choose, Amelia? Jim Dale @ Stephen Fry?"

She preferred Stephen Fry! :D

message 7: by AmeliaaXavier (new)

I always love Stephen Fry's narration!!

I don't like Jim Dales bc he reads like a computer, he doesn't put heart into the characters. Yes, he may have created 176 different voices, but his voices are all raspy. He does use them, but he doesn't act, while Stephen Fry, who created less voices, reads ten times better: when a character screams, he will scream too, for example. :D

message 8: by Liyana (new)

Liyana (liyanamz) | 14 comments Haven't heard any from the audiobooks :(

message 9: by AmeliaaXavier (new)

Liyana wrote: "Haven't heard any from the audiobooks :("

you should try it! it'll be more fun tbh :D

message 10: by Hajar Y, (new)

Hajar Y, (quillandkindle) | 19 comments I LOVE Stephen Fry as well!! Plus he's British; that alone makes the experience a lot more authentic, isn't it?

message 11: by Liyana (new)

Liyana (liyanamz) | 14 comments Amelia wrote: "Liyana wrote: "Haven't heard any from the audiobooks :("

you should try it! it'll be more fun tbh :D"

Where did you find it? Haha am not familiar with audiobooks

message 12: by AmeliaaXavier (new)

Liyana wrote: "Amelia wrote: "Liyana wrote: "Haven't heard any from the audiobooks :("

you should try it! it'll be more fun tbh :D"

Where did you find it? Haha am not familiar with audiobooks"

I used to have the tape collection when I was younger but with moving houses I'm not sure they're still exist or not lol

but now I download dekat torrent je then import them to itunes and sync to my phone.

message 13: by AmeliaaXavier (new)

oh, and I also changed this group header since we are starting HP tomorrow :D

message 14: by Azbaqiyah (new)

Azbaqiyah Sound fun. Mabye I should try in the future. ^_^

message 15: by Salwa (new)

Salwa (_readingsolace) The boy who lived. This should be fun. ;)

message 16: by Regina (new)

Regina Foo (reginafoomy) | 14 comments Amelia wrote: "the feels!!!! man~ and I'm currently downloading the audiobooks to have more feels haha"

I've thought of listening to the audiobook edition while reading it on my Kindle. Hm...guess I have to get a copy of the audiobook now. :)

message 17: by Kamalia (new)

Kamalia (maliemania) | 19 comments So ive started reading and i had a random thought. Idk if JK ever explained this or not(maybe we will find out later) but do the wizard children get any form of proper primary education? As in, do they go to school before Hogwarts?

Suraya (thesuraya) (thesuraya) | 18 comments i dont think jk ever mentioned it ? (or maybe i never noticed it) ginny stays at home all the time in hp 1 isnt it ?

message 19: by Salwa (new)

Salwa (_readingsolace) @Kamalia: Hm... Now that you mentioned it, I'm wondering about the same thing. JK Rowling be like, "Let these wizards be born. Fast forward to their 11th birthday so they can go to Hogwarts." No explanation needed. ;)

message 20: by Azbaqiyah (new)

Azbaqiyah Mabye they learn by their parents theory or simply read any books? And by 11 the young witches and wizards are ready to learn more details with practical magic!

Just my own thought, though...

message 21: by AmeliaaXavier (last edited Aug 09, 2015 06:23AM) (new)

@Malie @Suraya @Salwa & @Ask

I remember I've read it somewhere tho..

most pureblood & some half-blood young witches & wizard get homeschooled before they were off to hogwarts.. Some just don't maybe bc of the cost and just teaches their children basic stuff & theories or they read their older sibling old books..

but most of them get homeschooled.

message 22: by nabilahwashere (new)

nabilahwashere | 18 comments Mod
okay one thing that is fantastic about rereading the books after the movies have been released is that you can imagine every detail mentioned so vividly and its absolutely wonderful! ESPECIALLY THE FOOD OH MY GOODNESS :D

One thing JK Rowling did exceeding well in the books is the detail of the world. She had made a point to list all the textbooks followed by their authors and seemed to have planned the entire world out before writing the first book!
How are you guys doing? I'm currently 2 chapters away from completing the first book :D

message 23: by Regina (new)

Regina Foo (reginafoomy) | 14 comments nabilahwashere wrote: "okay one thing that is fantastic about rereading the books after the movies have been released is that you can imagine every detail mentioned so vividly and its absolutely wonderful! ESPECIALLY THE..."

Agree! JK Rowling really did a good job in the world building. I've just finished reading (and listening) Chapter 6, going to read more later before bed.

message 24: by Najwa (new)

Najwa | najreads (najreads) | 15 comments UGH A LOT OF PEOPLE HAVE FINISHED IT KEEE??

i am yet to start reading, just need to finish acotar and then off to hogwarts express

and I have to agree with nabilah, that when you read the book after watching the movie, it'll be so fun and easy to imagine the stuff inside the book hehe

Well happy reading everyone!

message 25: by AmeliaaXavier (new)

omg Nabilah why so fast ?!?!? I baru at chapter 5 omg!!

message 26: by Azbaqiyah (new)

Azbaqiyah @Amelia Lol same here.I read 5 chapter a day is average otherwise my head will spin.

message 27: by Salwa (new)

Salwa (_readingsolace) @Amelia: ooooh that's nice to know, thanks ;)

Suraya (thesuraya) (thesuraya) | 18 comments so now im at the part where Harry's in King Cross trying to find ways to get into Platform 9 3/4 and im curious about something. Say, if the Weasleys arent meant to be there to help Harry (it was already 10minutes before 11; he couldve missed his train), what do you is gonna happen to him ?

Suraya (thesuraya) (thesuraya) | 18 comments think*

message 30: by AmeliaaXavier (last edited Aug 10, 2015 03:39AM) (new)

Suraya wrote: "think*"

I was thinking about that too last night.. wasn't Aurors / ministry representatives supposed to be there on the first day of school helping out the students, especially muggleborns & those didn't know that much about the wizarding world like Harry himself?

that kinda frustrates me tbh because obviously they need someone who know more about the wizarding world to guide them & thank merlin Harry bumped into the Weasleys that moment bc if it's not I don't want to imagine what the Dursleys will do about it..

message 31: by Regina (last edited Aug 10, 2015 04:42AM) (new)

Regina Foo (reginafoomy) | 14 comments Suraya wrote: "so now im at the part where Harry's in King Cross trying to find ways to get into Platform 9 3/4 and im curious about something. Say, if the Weasleys arent meant to be there to help Harry (it was a..."

I think I would blame Hagrid for it. Since he's the one who brought Harry to buy his school stuff, he should have informed him on how to get to Platform 9 3/4 too when he handed him the train ticket.

So if Harry did miss the train, I guess in the end Dumbledore or whoever will ask Hagrid to look for Harry no matter what.

Now this is a very interesting moment when discussing a book with others. We could have lots of different plots for the book! And this is the power of our imagination! Suppose this is how Fan Fictions are born. Sometimes we would wonder 'what-if' for a plot that we read.

message 32: by Azbaqiyah (new)

Azbaqiyah Never understime the power of Fan Fic...sometimes I "Ohhh my goaaat! How can they ship this two! 'DracoXHarry!'"

message 33: by AmeliaaXavier (new)

I honestly ships everyone even Drarry bc it's kinda fun! I miss writing fanfiction ahh... need to find time to write some soon :D

message 34: by Azbaqiyah (new)

Azbaqiyah @Amelia Oh, you write fan fic? Mind if I read it? ^_^ I do write. But not a fan fic. It's an original story. You can find it the link at my profile. ^_*

Suraya (thesuraya) (thesuraya) | 18 comments ok so about the houses points and stuffs, is it a normal thing in british boarding schools, anyone ? or is jk rowling the first person to create this system ? bcs sbp schools use the exact system too and i wonder if it's inspired by harry potter lol (although it seems funny if it really is)

message 36: by nabilahwashere (new)

nabilahwashere | 18 comments Mod
Suraya wrote: "ok so about the houses points and stuffs, is it a normal thing in british boarding schools, anyone ? or is jk rowling the first person to create this system ? bcs sbp schools use the exact system t..."

In my old school we had house points as well! And no the house point system has been existent for years :p unfortunately it was not JK Rowling who created it haha

message 37: by Azbaqiyah (new)

Azbaqiyah @Suraya

It is a normal thing at Britsh. You know that Malaysia adapt many Britsh thing, right? Cam rumah sukan? It's almost the same. Other region such as Japan just depend on the class. They compete each other.

Suraya (thesuraya) (thesuraya) | 18 comments hahahah ok too bad then

message 39: by AmeliaaXavier (new)

@Ask,

I'll give it a try :D and you can find the links on my profile too!

@Suraya

I think it all started long time ago & Jo just took that bc it basically how their school works there.. my sbp is also like that.. semua nak ikut rumah sukan haha

Suraya (thesuraya) (thesuraya) | 18 comments FINISHED REREADING YAY

one of the many things i noticed while reading is that there isnt much spell chants introduced in the first book. Well we have :

- Levitation charm (Wingardium Leviosa)
- Unlocking Charm ( Alohomora)
- full body bind curse ( petrificus totalus)

i can't remember though if reparo is mentioned in the book ????

message 41: by Azbaqiyah (last edited Aug 10, 2015 09:52PM) (new)

Azbaqiyah Suraya wrote: "FINISHED REREADING YAY

one of the many things i noticed while reading is that there isnt much spell chants introduced in the first book. Well we have :

- U..."

maybe it was they first year? don't want to squash their brains (especially the first year students)random guess...

message 42: by syafura (new)

syafura (noorsyafura) | 1 comments Suraya wrote: "FINISHED REREADING YAY

- U..."

I found another spell.
Locomotor Mortis (leg-locker curse)

message 43: by Faten Liyana (new)

Faten Liyana (fatenliyana) | 3 comments Re-reading this for the umpteenth time and it never gets old!

The book still keeps me up awake like as if its my first time reading. Ahhh i love this feeling

message 44: by Azbaqiyah (new)

Azbaqiyah @Faten Liyana

This series is ever green!
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ

message 45: by AmeliaaXavier (last edited Aug 12, 2015 10:04AM) (new)

HP
“It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends.”

guys, I posted a review for the first book HERE. Take a look and comment about what you think :) I'll love to hear yours <3

message 46: by AmeliaaXavier (last edited Aug 13, 2015 08:53AM) (new)

guys guys guys, I forgot about this discussion but I already wrote it on my blog..

contain spoilers for those who did not finished the whole series & I suggest to those who are re-reading this series to open them. Also add "spoilers section" to your replies :)

(view spoiler)

message 47: by SiTi (new)

SiTi Wonderland (SitiMySecretWonderland) | 5 comments start imagining magical thing... woohooo