Aussie Readers discussion

Book Related Banter > Bones...

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laura (new)

Laura | 4298 comments SO....I am caught....I watch the TV show but I've always been interested in the books but worried they would clash. I have a few Bones novels due to my Dad (short interest in reading). I just love the TV show as a whole but I wonder if the difference will fracture my interests in the novels overall?

I ask cause I read the book and then watch the movie I usually hate it...But this is different as this is an on going TV show and so are the books.

message 2: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 1583 comments Laura wrote: "SO....I am caught....I watch the TV show but I've always been interested in the books but worried they would clash. I have a few Bones novels due to my Dad (short interest in reading). I just love ..."

I enjoy both very much, but be warned - the Temperance you see on TV is not the same Temperance you get in the books! Both good, just not the same.

message 3: by Laura (new)

Laura | 4298 comments How so?

message 4: by Phrynne, Series Queen! (new)

Phrynne | 11101 comments Mod
I don't think the TV show and the books have anything in common apart from the character's names:) But they are both enjoyable in their separate ways.

message 5: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 1583 comments Laura wrote: "How so?"

Others might be able to help me to elaborate on this.

You know the Temperance of the TV show already, but did you know her character started off a bit differently? I would say a bit more like a younger version of the Temperance from the books. I only realised this when, after a good few series had aired, I saw a re-run of the pilot and she had none of the abruptness or social awkwardness or whatever it is that makes her who she is. She was even dressed differently; a feminine, full skirt if I remember correctly. They must have dialled up the quirkiness within a few episodes (to get her to the character we recognise now), because I had completely forgotten this.

The Tempe of the books is an older (40-ish I would say), divorced, mother of an adult daughter. She is a sober alcoholic and this colours her life. She is also bilingual, which helps a lot as she divides her time between Montreal and North Carolina. This Tempe is exasperated by her scatty older sister who turns up from time to time. The commonality with her TV alter ego is the sexual tension she has with Detective Andy. I think in the books there is less emphasis on the technology of forensic anthropology too - she seems to get her hands more dirty and also does her thing more or less solo rather than surrounded by a team helping her to crack the cases.

Laura, I think you should just plunge right in and take a look for yourself! I'm sure you will enjoy the books as much as the TV show.

message 6: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Brenda | 68712 comments Mod
I love the books, but don't watch the series, so I'm sorry I'm no help to you Laura:)

message 7: by Laura (new)

Laura | 4298 comments @Andrea Thanks for extra details..You've made me rather curious about the Tempe in the books now :O!!

message 8: by Mikana (new)

Mikana (mikanakat) | 72 comments I'm a huge fan of the tv show, and have deliberated about the books because of this, but I may try a book or two for myself, see how they compare.

@Laura did you decide to read the books as well?

message 9: by Laura (new)

Laura | 4298 comments Mikana - I haven't yet! Been trying to reduce my other books before I start them..But I may take one away with me this weekend just for the heck of it (firstly, I have to locate where I put the books though..ahaha..oops!!)

message 10: by Mikana (new)

Mikana (mikanakat) | 72 comments I miss the show version - I see what you mean about Temperance being different. There's no squints (or at least, the ones we know from the show). No Booth. Katie is all grown up. Temperance's brother died as a kid from leukaemia.

I'm listening to the audiobook for Spider Bones as it was what my local library had, I'm still enjoying the book, just finding it so different.

message 11: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Brenda | 68712 comments Mod
And I would dislike the show as I've only read and loved the books! ;)

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Laura wrote: "SO....I am caught....I watch the TV show but I've always been interested in the books but worried they would clash. I have a few Bones novels due to my Dad (short interest in reading). I just love ..."

I love both the books and the TV show. However, it took me awhile to reconcile both versions of Tempe.