The Readers Review: Literature from 1714 to 1910 discussion

The Dickens Project - Archives > Great Expectations, Reading Schedule

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lynnm (new)

Lynnm | 3027 comments Hopefully Zulfiya will be back soon, but in the meantime, I thought I would give a shot at a reading schedule for Great Expectations.

Let me know what you think.

August 17 - Chapters 1-5 (I-V)
August 24 - Chapters 6-10 (VI-X)
August 31 - Chapters 11-15 (XI-XV)
September 7 - Chapters 16-20 (XVI-XX)
September 14 - Chapters 21-25 (XXI-XXV)
September 21 - Chapters 26-30 (XXVI-XXX)
September 28 - Chapters 31-35 (XXXI-XXXV)
October 5 - Chapters 36-40 (XXXVI-XL)
October 12 - Chapters 41-45 (XLI-XLV)
October 19 - Chapters 46-50 (XLVI-L)
October 26 - Chapters 51-55 (LI-LV)
November 2 - Chapters 56-59 (LVI-LIX)

I included both regular numbers and the Roman numerals because my version has the Roman numerals for the chapters, and thought it would help others who had Roman numerals as chapter numbers as well.

If you see any mistakes, let me know.

message 2: by Lynnm (new)

Lynnm | 3027 comments Also, feel free to post background information on the book here.

message 3: by Renee (new)

Renee M | 747 comments Looks good. Thanks for stepping up, Lynn. This is one of my favorites. I'm psyched to read it with the group.

message 4: by Renee (new)

Renee M | 747 comments P. S. Let me know if I can help you out in any way.

message 5: by Lynnm (new)

Lynnm | 3027 comments Renee wrote: "P. S. Let me know if I can help you out in any way."

Thanks, Renee! I'll let you know.

I have one less course than usual this semester so I shouldn't have any problems keeping up.

And I'm still hoping that we see Zulfiya back...what would our Dickens project be without Zulfiya!!!

message 6: by Lynnm (new)

Lynnm | 3027 comments A cheer for Deborah for moving Great Expectations to the top of the list...thanks!!!!

message 7: by Deborah, Moderator (new)

Deborah (deborahkliegl) | 4460 comments Mod
Happy to help

message 8: by Linda2 (new)

Linda2 | 3742 comments I'm going to try, as it's a favorite. But I don't think it has enough substance for 3 months.

message 9: by Lynnm (new)

Lynnm | 3027 comments Rochelle wrote: "I'm going to try, as it's a favorite. But I don't think it has enough substance for 3 months."

Rochelle - we tend to read the books slowly here on the Dickens Project. No more than 5 chapters per week.

message 10: by Hedi (new)

Hedi | 953 comments Thanks, Lynnm, for setting up everything. I will try to participate in a better way than with ATOTC.
Great Expectations is one of my favorite Dickens and it will be interesting to discuss it together.

Hopefully everything is ok with Zulfiya and life has just caught up on her like it did for me during the last read. It seems a little strange not to have her around in our special group here.

message 11: by Robin P, Moderator (new)

Robin P | 2065 comments Mod
I opened my copy and read the first 5 chapters straight off. This book starts out with a bang, more so than any we've read so far!

message 12: by Linda2 (last edited Aug 12, 2015 10:12PM) (new)

Linda2 | 3742 comments Robin wrote: "I opened my copy and read the first 5 chapters straight off. This book starts out with a bang, more so than any we've read so far!"

I've read it several times, and I've seen at least 3 movie versions. Lots of bang in this book. The plot moves constantly and no character is superfluous.

message 13: by Robin P, Moderator (new)

Robin P | 2065 comments Mod
Yes, I've read it before and seen movie & TV adaptations, but I'm sure I'll find parts I don't remember. I think this is a good one to recommend for someone who hasn't read Dickens before.

message 14: by Linda2 (new)

Linda2 | 3742 comments I agree. It moves faster than David Copperfield.

message 15: by Lynnm (new)

Lynnm | 3027 comments I've read the first 5 chapters as well, and yes, it moves quickly!

Can't wait for Monday - a lot of things to say just on those 5 chapters.

message 16: by Frances, Moderator (new)

Frances (francesab) | 1799 comments Mod
Ready and waiting!

message 17: by Zulfiya (new)

Zulfiya (ztrotter) | 1596 comments Thank you, Lynnm for posting a schedule. I have been trapped in the chancery of overseas travelling and everyday routine after I came back. I will join the discussion ASAP. Thank you again for stepping up. I thought I would manage, but it seems that sometimes life is too eventful :-)

message 18: by Frances, Moderator (new)

Frances (francesab) | 1799 comments Mod
Great to hear from you Zulfiya-it just wouldn't be the same Dickens project without you!

message 19: by Hedi (new)

Hedi | 953 comments Good to hear that you are back, Zulfiya. It is not the same without you. :-)

message 20: by Lynnm (new)

Lynnm | 3027 comments Hey Zulfiya! Great to see you back! I was worried about you. And yes, it isn't the same without you.

message 21: by Zulfiya (new)

Zulfiya (ztrotter) | 1596 comments Thank you all for kind words of support!

The discussion is truly lovely and lively, and hopefully we will all keep the momentum going:-)

message 22: by Bert (new)

Bert (woolfguy) Qwqqqq

message 23: by Linda2 (new)

Linda2 | 3742 comments ???