Christian Fiction Bloggers discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
ARCHIVED Team challenges > Hidden Book Covers | Q&A

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new)

Melanie (lovebeingvegan) | 9504 comments Mod
Feel free to leave any questions or comments you have about the challenge here.

message 2: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (ksnapier) | 667 comments Does the contest begin today? I am going to be finishing a book today and was wondering if it counts.

message 3: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (baseballblondie) | 1180 comments Kimberly wrote: "Does the contest begin today? I am going to be finishing a book today and was wondering if it counts."

I'm pretty sure that teams have to be chosen first. And then the challenge would begin. And from the way previous challenges have worked, you have to start the book after the "official" date the challenge started.

message 4: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (last edited Aug 14, 2015 01:59PM) (new)

Yes, Dawn is correct. Thanks for answering :)

Books need to be started on or after August 17th (Monday - the start date of the challenge). The teams will be created shortly and announced :D

message 5: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (baseballblondie) | 1180 comments Let me ask a question. I know that as a team we're working together to solve the puzzle. Does each book read by a team member remove a puzzle piece or once the whole team has finished their first books a piece is removed? This is just clarification on my part.

message 6: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new)

Each book read by a team member removes a piece (so if you read two books and another member reads 1, that's three pieces that get removed) and there is no limit to the amount of pieces that can be removed in a week, so this game could move along quickly. I hope everyone likes it. :)

message 7: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new)

Yes, ARCs count, so long as they are over 100 pages and not picture books, graphic novels, or cookbooks. :)

message 8: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Cox (andreacox) | 4311 comments I posted this in my team page, but then remembered this one, so I'm reposting it here.

Is it okay if we read two books simultaneously? Will they both count toward our game? I can't always read two at once, but it's working out that way this week.

message 9: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new)

Andrea,

Yep. It is perfectly fine to read more than one book simultaneously and all books will count, so long as they are started (or restarted) after the challenge started (Monday, August 17th at 12:00 AM PT), are 100+ pages, and aren't cookbooks, picture books, comic books, or graphic novels. :)

message 10: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Cox (andreacox) | 4311 comments Thanks!

message 11: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new)

All three teams have solved their first puzzle and are tied right now :D Hope everyone is enjoying the game!

message 12: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Cox (andreacox) | 4311 comments Yes, it's very fun! Great job, teams!

message 13: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new)

Update: team ebook is on their fifth puzzle and team hardcover and team paperback are on their fourth!

message 14: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Cox (andreacox) | 4311 comments This game is going by way too quickly! Any chance we could do a best out of seven game or something? (Five puzzles per round, I'm thinking.)

message 15: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (baseballblondie) | 1180 comments I like Andrea's idea.

message 16: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new)

Team Hardcover has correctly guessed/solved their fifth cover and has won the challenge! All other teams may keep trying to solve their last cover, if they so choose :)

----

What did you all think of the challenge? Have fun? Would you like to play again, this time with harder covers and more pieces?? Please let us know! :)

message 17: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Marcano | 125 comments Lots of fun

message 18: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (baseballblondie) | 1180 comments I liked this one. I think another round with the same teams and then like Andrea suggested, it be the best out of 7.

message 19: by Brittany (new)

Brittany | 958 comments It was fun and I like the suggestions that have been mentioned.

message 20: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Cox (andreacox) | 4311 comments Loved it and would enjoy playing again. Let me know when it starts up again!

Angie ~aka Reading Machine~ (wolffaerie17) | 337 comments I had great fun.

message 22: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (ksnapier) | 667 comments Great fun!

message 23: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new)

Megan (celtic_girl) | 6293 comments Mod
We have a new round up for this challenge, with more pieces this time. We have it set up so the first to solve 15 puzzles wins. This is to check out how well this many pieces work out, as well as how long each puzzle takes to solve. If after this round people still would like another round of it, we can set it up to be the best of a certain number of rounds (3-5 puzzles per round). I just wasn't sure how that would work scoring wise. Would after the first team solved their fifth puzzle then all teams move on to a new round, or stay on the one they were working on? If the latter it could make it much harder for other teams to catch up to the one that finished the round first. Thoughts?

If the same people sign up, or mostly the same, I'll keep the previous teams together as best I can. There may be more per team, or less, depending on the number of signups. I'll send out a mass mail message soon. :)

message 24: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Cox (andreacox) | 4311 comments I think the first to solve fifteen puzzles would work well. I agree on the confusion of the best-of scenario. Can't wait till our game starts up again.

message 25: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Cox (andreacox) | 4311 comments Do the books we read have to be Christian fiction? After the current book I'm reading, I may be reading some nonfiction for research on a project I'm working on. Would those nonfiction books count for the Hidden Covers game?

message 26: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new)

Andrea wrote: "Do the books we read have to be Christian fiction? After the current book I'm reading, I may be reading some nonfiction for research on a project I'm working on. Would those nonfiction books count ..."

Nonfiction works for the challenge as long as the book meets the requirements: at least 100 pages, and not Manga, Comics, graphic novels, cookbooks, poetry, books in verse (which pretty much just means not very little words per page or more pictures than words). :)

message 27: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new)

Oh, and also the books read don't have to be Christian fiction - it's preferable, but not everything we all read is that (I personally read a lot of YA, the majority of which isn't labelled Christian, but it meets the requirements so it could be used). The only thing we ask is if the book you are reading has a somewhat questionable cover that you don't use that in your thread.

message 28: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Cox (andreacox) | 4311 comments That all sounds great. Thanks, Megan!

message 29: by Staci (new)

Staci | 871 comments I understand that a book read equates to a puzzle piece removed. My question is can any team member make a guess at the book cover or can a guess only be made by a team member that finished a book? Is there a penalty for a wrong guess? Is there any correlation between number of books read and number of guesses?

My own thoughts are that any team member should be able to venture a guess as that may be what that team member brings to the table rather than book reading volume and unlocking puzzle pieces. I also wouldn't see why there would be a limit or penalty for an incorrect guess.

Thanks in advance for clarifying!

message 30: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new)

Staci wrote: "I understand that a book read equates to a puzzle piece removed. My question is can any team member make a guess at the book cover or can a guess only be made by a team member that finished a book?..."

There are no penalties and the only limitation is the number of guesses allowed. For every book read you get a guess at the puzzle, so if your team has read 3 books there are 3 guesses for that puzzle that can be made.

How a team decides to use the guesses is up to them. If everyone on a team is fine with anyone guessing, then they can do that. If a team wants their guess to be a group decision, that's fine as well.

Also, once a puzzle is solved the guesses earned are reset, so if a team has read two books for the new puzzle that's how many guesses they then have for the it.

I hope this explains it.

message 31: by Staci (new)

Staci | 871 comments Thanks for clarifying!

message 32: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new)

Are nonfiction books possibilities for the hidden book covers we're trying to find this round, or only Christian fiction books??

message 33: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new)

Melanie wrote: "Are nonfiction books possibilities for the hidden book covers we're trying to find this round, or only Christian fiction books??"

Only Christian fiction, at least for this round. Maybe next round that's something we could do, include some nonfiction...would you like that?

message 34: by Bess (new)

Bess | 2580 comments Where is the link to the puzzles? Thanks!!

message 35: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (ksnapier) | 667 comments the puzzles are on the top of the first page of your team page.

message 36: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new)

Bess, this is a team challenge and the teams are currently full. If you want, I could add you to a backup player list (in case someone drops out) , but it is probably unlikely that will happen as we are close to the end.

Be sure to check back, as we are planning another team challenge to start soon after this one ends. :)

message 37: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Cox (andreacox) | 4311 comments Hey y'all! Hope everyone had a great Christmas. Are we planning on playing Hidden Book Covers again this year?

What other games are on the docket?

message 38: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new)

Andrea wrote: "Hey y'all! Hope everyone had a great Christmas. Are we planning on playing Hidden Book Covers again this year?

What other games are on the docket?"

Hi Andrea, we're in the process of brainstorming a new game. Hope to have one ready for sign-ups in a few weeks :)

message 39: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Cox (andreacox) | 4311 comments Sounds great! I found Mastermind on sale at Target and got it because it reminded me of another game we played on here. What was that one called? I remembered someone saying our game was based off of it, so I thought I'd give it a try.

message 40: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Cox (andreacox) | 4311 comments Any news on that game y'all were brainstorming?

message 41: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new)

Andrea wrote: "Any news on that game y'all were brainstorming?"

We're still working on that new one; BUT, in the meantime, we're going to have a BINGO team challenge! Sign-ups just opened. :D

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 42: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Cox (andreacox) | 4311 comments Thanks, Melanie!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.