Lit Collective: An Online Reading Retreat discussion

Theme Nominations > March 2016 Theme Nominations

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michelle (last edited Aug 29, 2015 02:19AM) (new)

Michelle Stockard Miller (michelleamiller) | 119 comments Mod
Addendum: I'm closing the topic and will put the three nominations to a poll. Thanks to those who nominated. :)

Please share any recommendations you have for our themed reading retreat in March. I will accept nominations in this thread for one week and then we will put it to a vote.

If you're stumped for ideas, here are some resources:

http://homeworktips.about.com/od/writ...

http://homeworktips.about.com/od/engl...#

http://www.flashlightworthybooks.com/

Also, Google searches always work. :)

Thanks!

Nominations so far:

1. heroes/heroism
2. fairy tales (including retellings, vintage tales rediscovered, and books about fairy tales)
3. Exile

message 2: by Michelle (new)

I guess I'll start!

My nomination is for heroes/heroism. :)

message 3: by Lucy (new)

Lucy Pollard-Gott (fictional100) | 23 comments I like heroes/heroism as a theme. I could definitely go for that. I can imagine this would lead us to lots of great historical fiction and some contemporary fiction too.

My nomination is fairy tales, including retellings, vintage tales rediscovered, and books about fairy tales. Some potential books might be:
Robin McKinley's two versions of Beauty and the Beast, Beauty and Rose Daughter.
The Original Folk and Fairy Tales of the Brothers Grimm.
Once Upon a Time: A Short History of Fairy Tale by Marina Warner.
The Annotated Classic Fairy Tales.

message 4: by Michelle (last edited Aug 20, 2015 07:46AM) (new)

Lucy wrote: "I like heroes/heroism as a theme. I could definitely go for that. I can imagine this would lead us to lots of great historical fiction and some contemporary fiction too.

My nomination is fairy tal..."

Also, a great theme nomination! How about this book (that has been on my shelf for years)?
My Mother She Killed Me, My Father He Ate Me: Forty New Fairy Tales by Kate Bernheimer

message 5: by Lucy (new)

Lucy Pollard-Gott (fictional100) | 23 comments That sounds good. It's a sign of the health of this genre that new fairy tales are being written all the time by so many distinguished authors. I would also recommend the collections gathered by Ellen Datlow and Terri Windling, such as Black Swan, White Raven.

message 7: by Vielka (new)

Vielka (kitita) | 4 comments I want to nominate fairy tales!!!!

message 8: by Plethora (last edited Nov 28, 2015 06:13PM) (new)

Plethora (bookworm_r) | 7 comments I just remembered I'd better get to reading these books....found out that Beauty: A Retelling of the Story of Beauty and the Beast is $1.82 in the US Kindle store. Nice price.