What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Suggest books for me > Please help me find a book like manga. Spoilers ahead.

Comments Showing 1-50 of 61 (61 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Rayquaza (last edited Aug 07, 2015 01:24PM) (new)

Rayquaza | 31 comments Hello.
I'll try to say everything I have to say in the most understandable way I can (And sorry for my english and foul language XD).
Im 19. im not reading books but I want to search or maybe start reading a book that has a plot similar to those of animes / manges (shounen..... like naruto, one piece, bleach, pokemon).
I DONT WANT A MANGA! no! a book. a real book. like jurassic park. treasure isalnd.hunger games, only that the book needs to be like shounen mangas:

-CREAZY, ENDLESSLY, MYSTERIOUS AND EXCITING LONG ADVENTURES.OPEN ENVEIORMENTS AND BEATIFUL PLACES.

-UNIQUE POWERS (not like "oh a magic wand - lightning spell and all that crap / knights with mainstream powers [no knights at all lol]). im talking about real powers and unique ones. like jutsuts in naruto. variaty of jutsus from fire to water ones. [spoilers - stop reading now]magnet and lava ones. SPECIAL EYES, special people like zetsu...... special beasts. {SPOILERS ENDS]. Like the attacks and TYPES in pokemon that has logic behind them and strategy developments (also naruto). Like the fruits with extraordinary abilities in one piece. Special abilities in Yu Yu hakusho or bleach. special magic spells in fairy tail, and a guild of mages fighitng together.
Also power with sense would be nice, like in pokemon were water is super effective on fire etc..

-A book with a journey with lots of people, diverse people, stranglu unique in a wierd and special way people/creatures (again, with abilities ) like ninjas in naruto, PIRATES with powers in one piece, mages and more in fairy tail....., creatures like the beasts in naruto, dragons, monsters (and not the general trolls ogers mages elves knights and a character that only he/she contain the power to save the world crap and bla bla bla )
Example for cool surprising and unique haracters: naruto uzumaki, saskue, itachi, luffy, zoro, ichigo, natsu and grey, gajeel etc... (basiclly most characters from animes, especially shounen)
it can contain pictures but it has to be a book. not manga.

-Book like shounen manga: naruto, pokemon, bleach, one piece, fairy tail, hunter x hunter, and more.

i know i sayd i dont much like mages - i do like the mages in fairy tail for instanse. i dont like the generic, harry potter type mages

please any suggestions?
thanks for taking your time reading this and thanks for heping me out :D

message 2: by inaword (new)

inaword | 131 comments There are Naruto novels, like there are the odd manga panel in them but they're actual novels
Naruto: Innocent Heart, Demonic Blood for example

message 3: by Rayquaza (last edited Aug 07, 2015 10:36AM) (new)

Rayquaza | 31 comments Ren wrote: "There are Naruto novels, like there are the odd manga panel in them but they're actual novels
Naruto: Innocent Heart, Demonic Blood for example"

What do you mean naruto novels? But naruto is manga XD So just a novel of naruto? same plot?

And thanks but I wont read it XD Cuase its like the anime

message 4: by inaword (new)

inaword | 131 comments Same plot as the manga, just written like a novel. Though I think there's an original one too? Somewhere

message 5: by Isabelle (new)

Isabelle Ley | 44 comments I have no idea if it is like manga, but The Lightning Thief is a good book with adventure and unique powers. Also The Red Pyramid is also good and you might like it.

message 6: by Rayquaza (last edited Aug 07, 2015 11:41AM) (new)

Rayquaza | 31 comments Ren wrote: "Same plot as the manga, just written like a novel. Though I think there's an original one too? Somewhere"

Yeah but its pretty much like the manga and there wont be much new for me cause i know naruto already XD (i mean no surprises)

---------------------------------------

Isabelle wrote: "I have no idea if it is like manga, but The Lightning Thief is a good book with adventure and unique powers. Also The Red Pyramid is also good and you might like it."

thanks for the suggestions. can you give examples for powers maybe?
Edit: The egyptian gods and peercy are not my types XD

message 7: by SparksofEmber (new)

SparksofEmber | 943 comments I'd recommend Failstate Failstate by John W. Otte and the rest of the series, maybe. The characters with powers consider themselves "super-heros and villains". Failstate has the power to basically destroy things, his brother is telekenetic, there are also characters with fire abilities, light powers, speed, strength, mind control, and so on.

message 8: by Rayquaza (last edited Aug 07, 2015 12:39PM) (new)

Rayquaza | 31 comments SparksofEmber wrote: "I'd recommend FailstateFailstate by John W. Otte and the rest of the series, maybe. The characters with powers consider themselves "super-heros and villains". Failstate has the..."

By the list of powers youve mentioned and the "super-heros and villains" part, it makes it sound like american comic book XD

edit: well apperantly it is about super heroes lol. Thanks but i wont be reading this, I prefer japanese manga style and manga powers rather than american hero comic like books XD (and comic powers which are less creative then mangas')

message 9: by Isabelle (new)

Isabelle Ley | 44 comments Maybe Steelheart? The epics have powers, but using their powers makes them evil. Steelheart has invincibility, and there are lots of other powers, too.

message 10: by Rayquaza (new)

Rayquaza | 31 comments Isabelle wrote: "Maybe Steelheart? The epics have powers, but using their powers makes them evil. Steelheart has invincibility, and there are lots of other powers, too."

sounds pretty nice :P

message 11: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited Aug 07, 2015 10:19PM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) I have some favorite fantasy genre books. Not Harry Potter style. I'm not very knowledgeable about manga to judge if matching any manga elements; I would think you would like genres and listopias for things like "epic fantasy" "heroic fantasy" a lot of the "sword and sorcery" type of books full of adventures and strange lands — as you clearly already know those will need filtering to get rid of the "special powers for only one person destined to save world" and Tolkien want to be's with elves, dwarves, etc. moving around imaginary map.

Powers, having to reason out the powers, adventures, and even adventures in or discovering other lands:

The Skewed Throne (Throne of Amenkor, #1) by Joshua Palmatier Resenting the Hero (Hero, #1) by Moira J. Moore Joust (Dragon Jousters, #1) by Mercedes Lackey Fortress in the Eye of Time (Fortress, #1) by C.J. Cherryh The Curse of the Mistwraith (Wars of Light & Shadow, #1) by Janny Wurts Magician Apprentice (The Riftwar Saga, #1) by Raymond E. Feist -- Skewed Throne doesn't in first book get to explore new lands.

The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms (Inheritance, #1) by N.K. Jemisin had a manga air to me -- but is the special person to save the world variety.

Homeland (Forgotten Realms The Dark Elf Trilogy, #1; Legend of Drizzt, #1) by R.A. Salvatore has elves but not your usual elves and eventually lots of foreign lands and creatures. Darker and different but still a spinoff of D&D with some dwarves and such.

The Warrior's Apprentice (Vorkosigan Saga, #2) by Lois McMaster Bujold is science fiction but 100% is the clever thinking man, Miles Vorkosigan, outwitting villains while exploring new worlds and having adventures sort of Horatio Hornblower adventure style (some series and author says this is book to start with, the ones that call it boom 3 are including the prequels detailing how Miles' parents got together and hiw he is half-earthling which are good books but not really in the vein of the rest of the series).

The Dark Griffin (The Fallen Moon, #1) by K.J. Taylor may actually be too dark and violent for you; but get beasties and none of the save the world elf stuff or so special stuff.

Throne of Jade (Temeraire, #2) by Naomi Novik starts pretty much like any Napoleonic era naval military adventure except with dragons for first couple of books with a lot of missteps and misunderstandings in the foreign diplomatic relations with Asian cultures. Then turns into more manga territory for me. Might be more military the. you would like.

You might also like the "Dragons and Jetpacks" group at https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/...

message 12: by Rayquaza (last edited Aug 08, 2015 12:10AM) (new)

Rayquaza | 31 comments D.A.— warn me if there's a love triangle or drama w/ book wrote: "I have some favorite fantasy genre books. Not Harry Potter style. I'm not very knowledgeable about manga to judge if matching any manga elements; I would think you would like genres and listopias..."

ummm im not into the mages and knight stuff (as written in the first comment [excluding mages like in fairy til which are different a bit])
Also the knight and princess and all those are not my type XD

The dark elf trilogy - may be nice, but i didnt get the first book description. can you tell me about it shortly XD?

About Temeraire is a funny story - I said to myself this weekend that before buying His Majesty's Dragon (Temeraire #1) I must first look for a manga like book. If I won't find book with manga like plot and style, I will probably buy Temeraire's first book XD

p.s.
try to read the description for the 2 first chapters of naruto and see what naruto is like :P If
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/20...

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/20...

you are interested in seeing the first real battle of the manga, you can watch it here (this is the kind of books i would like to read - like shounen mangas :P - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbaxl... )
see that each ninja is from another family and clan - hence different jutsus and attacks and abilities - meaning MUCH VAREITY )

message 13: by Michele (new)

Michele | 280 comments Check out the books based on the card game Magic the Gathering, like this one Outlaw: Champions of Kamigawa (read down in the comments for a better description of the story). I chose this one because it has a Japan-inspired setting.

There's a Wiki page listing all the novels https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...

message 14: by Rayquaza (new)

Rayquaza | 31 comments Michele wrote: "Check out the books based on the card game Magic the Gathering, like this one Outlaw: Champions of Kamigawa (read down in the comments for a better description of the story). I chose ..."

I never played Magic The Gathering / I know nothing about it. Will that affect my understanding of the book ? (In case ill read it)

message 15: by Michele (new)

Michele | 280 comments Rayquaza wrote: "Michele wrote: "Check out the books based on the card game Magic the Gathering, like this one Outlaw: Champions of Kamigawa (read down in the comments for a better description of the ..."

No, the game just provides a setting and the magic rules. There's all kinds of magic styles in the game and lots of different monsters and creatures so I think the books would be close to what you're looking for.

message 16: by Rayquaza (new)

Rayquaza | 31 comments Michele wrote: "Rayquaza wrote: "Michele wrote: "Check out the books based on the card game Magic the Gathering, like this one Outlaw: Champions of Kamigawa (read down in the comments for a better de..."

Yes, but I know nothing about maghic the gathering. do i need to know about the game in order to understand the novel's plot?

message 17: by Michele (new)

Michele | 280 comments No

message 18: by Rayquaza (new)

Rayquaza | 31 comments Do you have any more suggestions please?

message 19: by Isabelle (new)

Isabelle Ley | 44 comments Haven't read this book yet, but The Darkest Minds looks really good.

message 20: by Lou (last edited Aug 10, 2015 05:37PM) (new)

Lou Rocama | 432 comments Most, if not all, of the following are not going to be precisely what you are looking for. This is for the simple reason that books with 1)shonen-esque plots, 2)powers not inspired by western comics, and that 3) are actual novels, seem to be a bit thin on the ground.

Kind of odd, really. You'd think there'd be a market.

Anyway, here's various things. Possibly something will work for you.

Psion Beta (Don't remember what the powers were in this. I believe there was an emphasis on strategy, tho.)
The Lost Code (I think the powers in this were unique. It's been a while)
The Tar-Aiym Krang (Adventure, sometimes of the madcap variety. To be fair Flinx is the 'only one to save the world', but he dithers about it so much you can ignore it a lot of the time.)
Sabriel (magic bells)
Jumper (teleportation, but he does some fairly original stuff with it later in the series.)

I second the recommendation for The Warrior's Apprentice. Start with it, not the chronological book 1.

These are comics, but the powers are unique:
Chew, Vol. 1: Taster's Choice (all powers are related to food. The title character knows the past of everything he eats, for example [this involves fairly unpleasant things, like the intimate details of a slaughterhouse when eating a hamburger]. The most ridiculous power is the ability to string a guitar with spaghetti. A list of these powers to date is here. Word of warning: this series has a lot of cannibalism.)
Locke & Key, Vol. 1: Welcome to Lovecraft (Unlocking things with special keys gives various results [One lets you change sex, one lets you leave your body as a ghost, one lets you take memories and/or personality traits out of someone's head (or put them in), and so on.]. This series is graphic. Also not very shonen)

Also, a summary of the Dark Elf trilogy (not rec'd by me, but a description was requested):

Drizzt is a dark elf. He is very good at two-sword fighting (it's essentially his super-power). Dark elves live underground and are Generally Unpleasant, if not Evil. Drizzt is not Evil (he is, in fact, Good), so he leaves and has various adventures, complicated by the fact that everyone he meets thinks he is Generally Unpleasant, if not Evil. At the end of the trilogy he reaches the surface (i.e. is no longer underground), where he continues to have adventures in subsequent series, complicated by the fact that everyone he meets thinks he is Generally Unpleasant, if not Evil.

Good luck finding your desired book. Also, post it here if you do. I want to know if such actually exists.

message 21: by Rayquaza (new)

Rayquaza | 31 comments Lou wrote: "Most, if not all, of the following are not going to be precisely what you are looking for. This is for the simple reason that books with 1)shonen-esque plots, 2)powers not inspired by western comic..."

thank you for the help and time of writig this :)
Yeah I hope ill find something i will actually be interested for a long time XD Meanwhile if I wont find a shounen like book I will probably buy Temaraire #1 - His Majesty's Queen (Its about the Napoleonic wars only with dragons as the air corp)

I did got a bit interested by the Magic the gathering books. they seem kinda unique fantasy series (Why them and not other fantasy books? Well maybe because of the vareity of magic the gathering books out there - meaning lots of different adventures and creatures....but still i havent read much of the description of the magic the gthering books... maybe i should :P )

message 22: by Rayquaza (new)

Rayquaza | 31 comments Isabelle wrote: "Haven't read this book yet, but The Darkest Minds looks really good."
That does sound kinda nice :P

message 23: by Aerulan (new)

Aerulan | 1190 comments Have you looked at Japanese light novels? They sound like they might be a decent-ish fit for what you are looking for in terms of story and style. Here's a couple listopias with titles.
Light novels released in English
Ranobes Japanese Light Novels

message 24: by Rayquaza (new)

Rayquaza | 31 comments Aerulan wrote: "Have you looked at Japanese light novels? They sound like they might be a decent-ish fit for what you are looking for in terms of story and style. Here's a couple listopias with titles.
Light novel..."

Yeah but light novels are like mangas / comics with lots of pictures XD

message 25: by Cecii (new)

Cecii | 11 comments maybe Graceling by Kristin Cashore? it's a series about people who are 'graced' with an ability. ranges from enhancement of dancing to cooking to mind reading. at first everyone thought the main character was graced at killing.

The Darkest Minds by Alexander bracken. there are these kinds of 'camps' where they keep kids that were born with abilities. They treat them like they have a disease and contain them in these camps. There are greens who have high intellect and yellows who I think do something with electricity the most dangerous are those label reds who control fire and oranges I think, who can control minds. Main character is an orange and is in one of the most horrible camps and escapes then starts her adventure.

I would say you should give the god thing a chance. In Jennifer L. Armentrouts Half Blood series is amazing. Love it. I hate the Harry Potter and lightning thief books so I was wary about it at first but I really enjoyed it. and the gods end up being witty which is why I liked it. So let me explain it to you. There are those with pure blood of gods (they are like the God's children's children's children) they are called pures. those who are half God bloodline and half human are, well, called halfs. they are looked down upon. pures can have the ability to wield one of the elements. fire, water, earth, electricity, air. halfs don't but they still train to fight. Fight for what? to protect themselfs from daimons aka demons who were once pures or halfs gone bad. very powerful. Main character is a half. for like a while, because she ends up being someone rare who will end up being more on her 18th birthday. like someone much much more powerful.

there's a few more in mind but I forgot the authors. I'll look them up.

message 26: by Ida Høvik (new)

Ida Høvik | 2 comments The shounen ai novel 'Snow'?

message 27: by Rayquaza (new)

Rayquaza | 31 comments Ida wrote: "The shounen ai novel 'Snow'?"

Hey. can you link it to me pls XD ?

Cecii wrote: "maybe Graceling by Kristin Cashore? it's a series about people who are 'graced' with an ability. ranges from enhancement of dancing to cooking to mind reading. at first everyone thought the main ch..."

Thanks for the suggestions :)
About Half Bloods - Sounds nice :P But in the description here https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/9... it sounds a bit of romance?

message 28: by Rayquaza (new)

Rayquaza | 31 comments More please :(

message 29: by Rayquaza (new)

Rayquaza | 31 comments Do you have any more suggestions?

message 30: by Lou (new)

Lou Rocama | 432 comments Well, I never read this, but the summary sounds kind of shonen:

Skulduggery Pleasant

message 31: by Amanda (last edited Aug 18, 2015 04:57AM) (new)

Amanda (misterfive) | 203 comments The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya was turned into a manga, but it started off as what is referred to as a "light novel." It's not the only light novel to be turned into manga. While most light novels are Japanese in origin, quite a few have been translated into English. Maybe the light novel is a genre you can search on to find more manga-like books.

Here is a list of popular ones from wikipedia:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_...

Eta: Oh sorry, i see now this was suggested above. Never mind! I'll also add that my kid who really likes manga really liked Ender's Game by Card and The Warrior's Apprentice by Bujold. While I probably would have not called them manga-like, there is a certain quality to them that I think might be similar.

message 32: by Lou (new)

Lou Rocama | 432 comments That's three votes for The Warrior's Apprentice, so I'd definitely take a look at that one at least, Rayquaza.

message 33: by Rayquaza (last edited Aug 18, 2015 12:50PM) (new)

Rayquaza | 31 comments Thank you Lou and Amanda :) I definetly read all descriptions for ALL the books that you suggest me XD It's just hard for me to find something I find intereseting enough XD

message 34: by Rayquaza (new)

Rayquaza | 31 comments pls more?

message 35: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (misterfive) | 203 comments Rayquaza wrote: "pls more?"

I shared your original description with my son, and he recommends The Alchemyst by Michael Scott.

message 36: by Rayquaza (new)

Rayquaza | 31 comments Can you tell me what The Ronin Saga - The Knife's Edge is about? I didnt understand its description.

message 37: by Rayquaza (new)

Rayquaza | 31 comments more?

message 38: by Aaron (last edited Sep 01, 2015 07:35AM) (new)

Aaron Nagy | 33 comments I know you dismissed light novels as having pictures but, it's like one every 20pages, my eyes just glaze over them.

It sounds like what you want is high action writing and hard magic, with a relentless plot.

I recommend
Worm Best Superhero novel I have read, don't dismiss it just because it's a webnovel.

Steelheart and everything else by Sanderson as basically all he does is hard magic stuff.

Hard Magic post WWI but with superpowers and magic, an explosion every 20-30 pages basically guaranteed.

message 39: by Rayquaza (new)

Rayquaza | 31 comments Aaron wrote: "I know you dismissed light novels as having pictures but, it's like one every 20pages, my eyes just glaze over them.

It sounds like what you want is high action writing and hard magic, with a rele..."

So you say light novels have a picture every 20 +- pages?
If you have a link for an online light novel, any novel, just so I could see the way it is written as, may you send it to me?

message 40: by Taarna (new)

Taarna | 1 comments I haven't run across any literature that reminds me of anime but if you're looking for unique powers try Tanya Huff's Quartered books. The magic system is based off of the elements but they use singing. It's a pretty unique take in my experience.
https://www.goodreads.com/series/4137...

You also might try the Mistborn books by Brandon Sanderson if the whole concept of employing magically inclined "ninjas" (called Mistborn in the series) with interesting powers appeals to you.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6...

message 41: by Aaron (last edited Sep 02, 2015 07:03AM) (new)

Aaron Nagy | 33 comments Rayquaza wrote: "Aaron wrote: "I know you dismissed light novels as having pictures but, it's like one every 20pages, my eyes just glaze over them.

It sounds like what you want is high action writing and hard magi..."

Sure

http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/ind...

The first 6 books are from the light novel the rest are from the webnovel. That site has a large number of Light Novels on it, translation quality varies.

http://www.princerevolution.org/sunkn...
LN from Taiwan

Most translations of light novels just have the images off to the side if you want to click on them and mostly just worry about the text. While most of the actual books for instance, will have an image every 20-30 pages, normally of a dramatic scene/pose/explosion. Barnes and Noble actually is starting to carry a lot of them recently look for the YenOn label in the manga section, that's Yen Presses Light novel division.

Most of the ones, other than the aforementioned Sun Knight and Mushoku Tensei, I normally recommend have been licensed by Yen Press and/or already turned into an anime. But, the LNs go a lot farther and are generally better as source>adaption is normally the case.

I still do highly recommend the other things in my previous post as well, especially because while both of the above are very good, I'm not sure they are exactly what you are looking for.

message 42: by Rayquaza (new)

Rayquaza | 31 comments Thanks for the help Aaron.

I thought about this book https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...
According to its review, it seems likely similar to my depiction. Does anyone have any information about this book?

message 43: by Rayquaza (new)

Rayquaza | 31 comments More please?

message 44: by Adele (new)

Adele | 1206 comments In the answers to a very similar request on reddit they recommend:

The Red Knight

The Black Company

The Last Wish

The Darkness That Comes Before

Then branching out from those via listopia these might interest you:

Spellmonger

Control Point

Progeny

The Way of Kings

The Warded Man

message 45: by Rayquaza (last edited Sep 09, 2015 09:27AM) (new)

Rayquaza | 31 comments Adele wrote: "In the answers to a very similar request on reddit they recommend:

The Red Knight

The Black Company

The Last Wish

[book:The Darkness That Comes Befo..."

Thank you. Ill definitely check their descriptions.

message 46: by Julie (new)

Julie | 1 comments you can make try to read the morganville vampire boos there is15 to 16 book they are awesome the first book is called glass house.

message 47: by Rayquaza (new)

Rayquaza | 31 comments Rayquaza wrote: "Adele wrote: "In the answers to a very similar request on reddit they recommend:

The Red Knight

The Black Company

The Last Wish

[book:The Darkness T..."

The red knight sounds pretty interesting

Julie wrote: "you can make try to read the morganville vampire boos there is15 to 16 book they are awesome the first book is called glass house."

Thank you. ill check it :P

message 48: by Rayquaza (new)

Rayquaza | 31 comments more? Do you know if The Ronin Saga - The Knife's Edge is somewhat similar to what I am looking for?https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

message 49: by LJF (new)

LJF | 118 comments what about light novels? many light novels have anime based on them, but the original is different. I love the light novel series,https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2..., a certain magical index

message 50: by Rayquaza (new)

Rayquaza | 31 comments LJF wrote: "what about light novels? many light novels have anime based on them, but the original is different. I love the light novel series,https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2......"

Yeah but light novels are a bit different than a book and i am looking for a book (a book with light novel like plot ;) ) XD

« previous 1