The Sword and Laser discussion

What Else Are You Reading? > Need some more awesome sci-fi

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Paul (new)

Paul Kleynhans | 11 comments Hi all

I have been on a sci-fi bender as of late, but now have nothing to read.

More specifically, I reread "The Expanse" series, Marko Kloos's Frontline series, Some of the Undying Mercenary books, and Joshua Dalzelle's Omega Force books.

I need more action-heavy, occasionally light-hearted, space opera-y fun.

What have you got?

message 2: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 3917 comments House of Suns, Alastair Reynolds.

message 3: by Paul (last edited Aug 06, 2015 07:27PM) (new)

Paul Kleynhans | 11 comments I love that book. But, I have read all of Reynolds books several times (except the most recent series which I'm less into).

Same with Iain M Banks and Peter Hamilton.

message 4: by Callum (new)

Callum Orr | 47 comments What about any John scalzi? Especially as he is on the brink of releasing the next in the old man's war series.

message 5: by Alan (last edited Aug 07, 2015 02:51PM) (new)

Alan | 534 comments Glancing at your GR booklist, I'm guessing that the absence of Heinlein, Zelazny, Asimov and Niven are just because your reading of them predate your GR account and that the same goes for Brin's Uplift Wars series. (If no to any of those, I have suggestions ...)

What about The Warrior's Apprentice, Gateway or The Rediscovery of Man?

message 6: by Paul (new)

Paul Kleynhans | 11 comments Alan wrote: "Glancing at your GR booklist, I'm guessing that the absence of Heinlein, Zelazny, Asimov and Niven are just because they predate your GR reading and that the same goes for Brin's Uplift Wars series..."

Correct :) I could not be bothered addding more than a thousand books I had readd before GoodReads. Also, I sometimes just forget.

I've read most of bujold's stuff but I added the other two.

Thanks!

message 7: by Paul (new)

Paul Kleynhans | 11 comments Callum wrote: "What about any John scalzi? Especially as he is on the brink of releasing the next in the old man's war series."

I am up to date on Scalzi. Can't wait to read the new one this week!

message 8: by Alan (new)

Alan | 534 comments Rediscovery of Man is just one of the way's Cordwainer Smith's stuff has been anthologized so you may have read his work in tons of other places. If you've never read him, you're in for a treat. It's not usually lighthearted but it is the most *operatic* space opera I've ever read.

message 9: by Paul (new)

Paul Kleynhans | 11 comments Alan wrote: "Rediscovery of Man is just one of the way's Cordwainer Smith's stuff has been anthologized so you may have read his work in tons of other places. If you've never read him, you're in for a treat. It..."

I'll check him out, thanks.

message 10: by Robert (new)

Robert Defendi | 54 comments I don't see any Sawyer on your list. I recently read Calculating God and enjoyed in spite of Sawyer being my nemesis.

message 11: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay | 593 comments Have you tried Gary Gibson? Excellent space opera that reminds me very much of Peter F. Hamilton.

I've only read short stories by him so far, but I hear good things about Tobias S. Buckell Xenowealth books.

Rachel Bach's Paradox series is excellent space opera and I also thoroughly enjoyed Jean Johnson's Theirs Not to Reason Why books starting with A Soldier's Duty.

You've probably already read them, but most of C.J. Cherryh's SF is excellent.

message 12: by Paul (new)

Paul Kleynhans | 11 comments Robert wrote: "I don't see any Sawyer on your list. I recently read Calculating God and enjoyed in spite of Sawyer being my nemesis."

Added your nemesis :)

message 13: by Paul (new)

Paul Kleynhans | 11 comments Lindsay wrote: "Have you tried Gary Gibson? Excellent space opera that reminds me very much of Peter F. Hamilton.

I've only read short stories by him so far, but I hear good things about [author:..."

I read Gibsons shoal series. The first one at least. Memory of light? stealing light? Something like that? I quite enjoyed it, but managed to forget about it. Will grab the second one.

Thanks!

message 14: by Paul (last edited Aug 12, 2015 02:03AM) (new)

Paul Kleynhans | 11 comments Lindsay wrote: "Have you tried Gary Gibson? Excellent space opera that reminds me very much of Peter F. Hamilton.

I've only read short stories by him so far, but I hear good things about [author:..."

Oh, and I picked up Fortune's Pawn a while ago, but never got to it. I was told it's space romance (after I picked it up), which put me off. How romancy is it?

message 15: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay | 593 comments There's a romance in it. There's also a phenomenal space opera, aliens, power armour battles, bioengineered cyborgs and interstellar politics.

For some people any romance is too much. I call a book a science fiction romance if the romance is the point of the plot. That isn't the case with this series.

message 16: by Paul (new)

Paul Kleynhans | 11 comments Lindsay wrote: "There's a romance in it. There's also a phenomenal space opera, aliens, power armour battles, bioengineered cyborgs and interstellar politics.

For some people any romance is too much. I call a bo..."

Some romance is fine. It does not make me gag:)

Someone did describe it as science fiction romance, but perhaps they just latched on to that part of it.

Thanks, will definitely give it a read (or, in this case, listen).

message 17: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay | 593 comments Fair warning, the series is a three-part novel. You won't get a complete story in the first novel.

message 18: by Paul (new)

Paul Kleynhans | 11 comments Lindsay wrote: "Fair warning, the series is a three-part novel. You won't get a complete story in the first novel."

Thanks. Not worried about that :)

message 19: by Conal (new)

Conal (conalo) | 44 comments Paul wrote: "Oh, and I picked up Fortune's Pawn a while ago, but never got to it. I was told it's space romance (after I picked it up), which put me off. How romancy is it? "

The first two books, not so much... the third book was disappointing in how much romance was included.

message 20: by Chris (new)

Chris Kiley (ckiley) I saw you read Ancillary Justice. Ancillary Mercy is awesome too!

message 21: by Ronald (new)

Ronald Carson | 135 comments Callum wrote: "What about any John scalzi? Especially as he is on the brink of releasing the next in the old man's war series."

I'm starting to wear out on Scalzi. Dalzelle's my big kick right now, but if the OP has read all of that, then I might be inclined to go for something like Armada or Aurora

message 22: by Fresno Bob (new)

Fresno Bob | 580 comments Charles Stross or Peter Watts might be worth checking out, as would Vernon Vinge if you haven't read his stuff

message 23: by Joel (new)

Joel | 235 comments Fresno Bob wrote: "Charles Stross or Peter Watts might be worth checking out, as would Vernon Vinge if you haven't read his stuff"

I have been meaning to get to those three authors for quite some time. I'm excited to read their stuff.

message 24: by Papaphilly (new)

Papaphilly | 171 comments Try Robert Buettner. Military Science Fiction and it is fun. Light reading and not a bad story for any of his books. Ifyou want a one off, try Job: A Comedy of Justice. It is everything you want from the master Robert A. Heinlein.

message 25: by Cori (new)

Cori (coridomschot) | 11 comments I loved the Paradox series! There is a sex scene in the first book but other then that not much, romance. The author doesn't lose sight of the plot for the sake of the romance.
I also strongly recommend Tanya Huff's Confederation Series AKA The Torin Kerr books. Space Marines, alien races, all the fun stuff!

message 26: by Kevin (last edited Oct 07, 2015 11:22AM) (new)

Kevin | 701 comments The Cassandra Kresnov series (first book: Crossover) by Joel Shepherd is a pretty great mix of military sci-fi, space opera and to a lesser degree cyberpunk, with a lot of exploration socio-political themes. One of my personal favourites.

message 27: by Gaines (new)

Gaines Post (gainespost) | 198 comments I really enjoyed the Rama series. Creative, not heavy, but good adventure. Rendezvous with Rama is the first book :-)

message 28: by Lucius (new)

Lucius Rippeteau | 1 comments Try Armor by John Steakly. it is relentless

message 29: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 3917 comments Gaines, did you read Olaf Stapledon's Star Maker? I thought the ending of Rama was derivative of that. OTOH nothing wrong with stealing from the classics if it keeps us talking about them.

message 30: by Gaines (new)

Gaines Post (gainespost) | 198 comments Nope, I haven't read that yet. Although, as Chuck Palahniuk once wrote, "Nothing of me is original. I am the combined effort of everyone I've ever known."

Perhaps every author ever published is a thief, whether wittingly or not :-)

message 31: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Ashby | 119 comments I just finished "The Long Way to an Small Angry Planet" by Becky Chambers. Fun, rollicking, optimistic space opera yarn that just might scratch your itch.