ONTD Book Club discussion

Fiction > August 2015 - Crazy Rich Asians

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Wigs (new)

Wigs (wigsnatcher) | 556 comments Mod
Crazy Rich Asians won this month's poll! Happy reading!

message 2: by Idris (new)

Idris Grey (idrisgrey) | 57 comments Mod
yesssss.

message 3: by Jamie (new)

Jamie (iquitelikebooks) | 54 comments Haha damn just finished this the other day, I really enjoyed it for the most part. Wasn't too fond of the way the end was handled though, it felt very abrupt. Makes more sense knowing that there's a sequel, though.

I found Nick to be annoyingly naive a lot of the time and I wish we would have gotten more time with Astrid, I loved her.

message 4: by court. (new)

court. ^^ I completely agree with pretty much everything you said. I read some of the reviews here and a lot of people complain that there's too much description of the opulence, but isn't that kinda the point? For the most part I really enjoyed it.

Also, I totally thought Nick's grandmother was going to end up being in Rachel's corner.

message 5: by Amira (new)

Amira (liightningbolt) | 68 comments Liking this so far. It was definitely not a good idea to keep Rachel in the dark...

message 6: by Brittany (new)

Brittany | 4 comments Finished this on Saturday. Sometimes I got lost because I forgot what some of the slang meant, and they only gave one note for it. I'm reading the second one now and clicking on every note. (I'm using my kindle so it's harder to flip back and forth).

I enjoyed the story overall, I loved the drama of all of it. Astrid was one of my favourite people though all of them were pretty frustrating. I felt bad for Rachael in the end, and I thought the ending was pretty abrupt, but that was the lead into the second book, I guess. It made me want to read it, haha.

message 7: by Amy (new)

Amy (bitterpeaches) | 2 comments As a Cantonese speaker, I think I enjoyed trying to decipher the pinyin more than the story itself. The ending was open-ended, but after I realized that the author meant to make it a trilogy, it made more sense. The characters were likeable and I was glad that her rich friend was trying to help her out rather than "ruin" her, especially since I was getting vibes that it could potentially happen.

message 8: by Casey (new)

Casey (casey-h) | 51 comments This is the first book I managed to get from the library in time for the discussion!
Anyway, I'm about 100 pages in so far and some of my general thoughts:
-The family buy the hotel in the beginning was perfect.
-I'm having such an increasing feeling of dread for Rachel. And seriously, if I ever dated someone and they pulled this on me (not telling me about their family/their huge wealth) I'd dump them on the spot.
-Poor Astrid. Her trying to convince herself that it's no big deal if her husband is having an affair was rough.
-I know we're supposed to hate Edison and boy do I.

That's all for now, back to reading!

message 9: by Jamie (new)

Jamie (iquitelikebooks) | 54 comments I read it on my kindle too and flipping to the footnotes was SUCH a pain omg!

I got that creeping feeling of dread for Rachael a lot too lol.

If anyone finishes the sequel soon let me know how you liked it, I want to know if I should bump it up my to read list.

message 10: by court. (new)

court. I'm definitely considering getting the sequel...like, ASAP. Haha idek, it's been sooo long since I've read decent chick-lit. Anyone have any recs based on this?

message 11: by Jess (new)

Jess (gingeryarnco) | 616 comments Mod
3rd in line at my library for this!

message 12: by Casey (new)

Casey (casey-h) | 51 comments I just finished this last night.

Micheal is a total POS for how he went about things, but at the same time he's got some really valid reasons. The same reasons Rachel has, basically. And if I was them, I couldn't be a part of that family either. Also, wow at Charlie. I'm just not that nice of a person.

I agree that Nick was naive through the whole thing.

I also found all of the characters (except Rachel) pretty frustrating even if I liked them. Probably because I'm too American and too poor to really understand the way of thinking they have.

I honestly think Peik Lin was my favorite character.

I think this a perfect pick for ONTD but I don't think I'm interested in the sequels.

message 13: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa Lauren (littledeer) | 7 comments I loved Peik Lin and I'm so glad her and her famiy didn't turn out to be the assholes that I had anticipated them becoming.

I read this book over a year ago and I liked it enough, but I feel obligated to read the sequel because I need to find out what happens next.

(also I'm fakeblood on ONTD and this is my first post)

message 14: by Susan (new)

Susan | 17 comments I just got it in the mail, about 40 pages in. I'm really liking it, it's so fluffy but funny and engaging enough. I'm going to save the rest of it for my flights tomorrow.

message 15: by Amira (new)

Amira (liightningbolt) | 68 comments 70% of the way through. The amateur writing is affecting my enjoyment now :( The dialogue is not especially great.

Feel terribly for Astrid, but Oliver is making me laugh a lot. Wonder what Eleanor's discovery is too.

message 16: by Casey (new)

Casey (casey-h) | 51 comments @Amira- I felt the same about the writing. It bothered me enough that I won't be picking up the second book even though I'm vaguely interested in the outcome for some of the characters.

message 17: by Amira (new)

Amira (liightningbolt) | 68 comments @Ahria

Right now, there's no reason to pick up the sequel. But apparently there's this great cliffhanger of an ending, so we shall see.

message 18: by IMY (last edited Aug 20, 2015 06:33PM) (new)

IMY I'mma c&p.

What started out as fun and vacuous ended up being tedious and vacuous. The endless descriptions of the clothes, decor, venues, etc. gets tiring after a while. Out of the whole flock of crazy rich Asians, I only cared about Nick, Rachel and Astrid. Michael can still fuck off. He is such a coward. Charlie deserves her so much more. Nick came through in the end but man I wanted to slap him. How thick can you be! Hoping all those rich assholes gets their comeuppance in the next book.

I'm hinadori on ONTD.

message 19: by Amira (new)

Amira (liightningbolt) | 68 comments Gave it 3/5 in the end. Enjoyable enough. I liked Rachel, Nick and Astrid as characters. Not sure about Michael's insecurity playing such a large role in the story. Didn't think the ending was that much of a cliffhanger, so won't be racing for the sequel any time soon.

message 20: by Brittany (new)

Brittany | 4 comments Finished the sequel this weekend and I kind of hate everyone. Everyone became a shell of the characters developed in the first book, and it was honestly TOO dramatic. Like it tried too hard. I'll finish the trilogy but honestly the second book wasn't as good as the first.

message 21: by Hugo (new)

Hugo | 4 comments I approached this book kind of like a literary soap opera and I really enjoyed it. The second book was even more soap opera-ish, which I thought was fun.

For people who enjoyed this, I recommend the reality show Ultra Rich Asian Girls on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BI56X...

I'm Hugo Dragonclaw on ONTD.

message 22: by Susan (new)

Susan | 17 comments I finished it a while back and really enjoyed it! It was good emotional soap opera fluff haha. I might borrow the second book from the library eventually, but I found the open ending pretty satisfying anyway.

I really want to visit Singapore now though. I've been to Changi airport so many times but I'd love to be able to take a week in Singapore to chill and absorb everything. And eat.

message 23: by Jess (new)

This got in to the library today! I'm excited to go grab it tomorrow.

message 24: by Lea (new)

Lea Court wrote: "I'm definitely considering getting the sequel...like, ASAP. Haha idek, it's been sooo long since I've read decent chick-lit. Anyone have any recs based on this?"

in the sequel the author gives a little reading list, I don't think any of it is chick-lit but they all go very well with Crazy Rich Asians. I just finished the first title on the list, Snobs (by Julian Fellowes) and it was entertaining

message 25: by court. (new)

court. Lea wrote: "Court wrote: "I'm definitely considering getting the sequel...like, ASAP. Haha idek, it's been sooo long since I've read decent chick-lit. Anyone have any recs based on this?"

in the sequel the ..."

ty! i'll check it out :)

message 26: by court. (new)

court. Hugo wrote:
For people who enjoyed this, I recommend t..."

i'm like 3 min in and already know this is going to be my new addiction

message 27: by Hugo (new)

Hugo | 4 comments Court wrote: "Hugo wrote:

i'm like 3 min in and already know this is going to be my new addiction"

Haha =D It's a great time to start, as the second season just premiered last week

message 28: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa Lauren (littledeer) | 7 comments Hugo wrote: "Court wrote: "Hugo wrote:

i'm like 3 min in and already know this is going to be my new addiction"

Haha =D It's a great time to start, as the secon..."

I can see myself becoming addicted to this series as well, thanks for sharing!

message 29: by Jess (new)

Yeah... I'm just getting around to reading this now. Meh. The best thing I can say about it is that it is a really fast read. I'll probably have it finished tonight.

It is just too vapid and shallow for me. I can't believe Nick would be so stupid as to not tell his long term girlfriend about his family. They've been dating 2 years, not 2 months, yet that's how he treats her most of the time.

message 30: by Jess (new)

I finished today. IDK... it was just okay. I may go on to the sequel, but I'm not in any rush.

message 31: by Jamie (new)

Jamie (iquitelikebooks) | 54 comments Jess wrote: "Yeah... I'm just getting around to reading this now. Meh. The best thing I can say about it is that it is a really fast read. I'll probably have it finished tonight.

It is just too vapid and shal..."

lol yeah i'd be super pissed if i were rachel... i'm about halfway through the sequel now and it's about on the same level as the first i'd say. not bad for a quick read.

message 32: by Jess (new)

I have the audiobook of the sequel right now. I haven't gotten around to listening yet, but I plan to start it soon.

message 33: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa (girlcomeundone) | 63 comments so i finally got around to reading this for the ONTD book challenge and i really liked it for what it was (total soapy fluff). i def. want to check out the second book.
I agree with others that i thought Peik Lin was going to have bad intentions and i'm so glad that's not what happened! I was also hoping grandma was going to be team Rachel, although i suppose with two more books to go it can't be that easy.

message 34: by Jamie (new)

Jamie (iquitelikebooks) | 54 comments I love Peik Lin! I can't wait for the movie!!!