Historical Fictionistas discussion

Recommendations? > Herbal/Healing/In fiction

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gdaiva (last edited Aug 06, 2015 03:52PM) (new)

Gdaiva | 8 comments What are some other books that have an herbal medicine, healing, food, natures/earth energy element in fiction books. I really liked Outlander, Physician, Shaman, The fifth sacred thing.
No horror or vampires, please. Could be good witches :)
Thank you!

message 2: by Belle (new)

Belle Blackburn | 61 comments Mine...if you don't mind self promotion. You can message me if you want.

message 3: by Gdaiva (new)

Gdaiva | 8 comments Belle wrote: "Mine...if you don't mind self promotion. You can message me if you want."

no, i dont mind self promotion, when its related to my question. I had to do extra click to find out who are you :)
Is it a Doctor's daughter you are recommending?

message 4: by Belle (last edited Aug 06, 2015 05:09PM) (new)

Belle Blackburn | 61 comments Yes. I was going to link it but was slinking around afraid of spamming. My main character's mother is a yarb doctor, which is an old term for an herbalist. MC has a suitor who is a traditionally trained university doctor in the 1860s and of course they practice different medicine and hate each other. The herbal medicine has stood the test of time much better than the craziness the physicks (doctors) were practicing. Is there a question you want to ask in particular about herbs? I know people smarter than me if I can't answer it.

message 5: by Phair (new)

Phair (sphair) | 45 comments Take a look at A Vision of Light A Vision of Light (Margaret of Ashbury, #1) by Judith Merkle Riley . Read it long ago but recall liking it.

message 6: by Gdaiva (new)

Gdaiva | 8 comments Belle wrote: "Yes. I was going to link it but was slinking around afraid of spamming. My main character's mother is a yarb doctor, which is an old term for an herbalist. MC has a suitor who is a traditionally..."

sounds good! im going to read it.
No, no question about herbs, im herbalist and nutritionist myself, read so many books and articles about that, but for relaxing i love fiction.
thank you!

message 7: by Gdaiva (new)

Gdaiva | 8 comments Phair wrote: "Take a look at A Vision of Light A Vision of Light (Margaret of Ashbury, #1) by Judith Merkle Riley. Read it long ago but recall liking it."

sounds like Hildergard's life story, interesting, thank you!

message 8: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) | 609 comments We're currently group-reading Year of Wonders, which has these themes. Sorry working on iPad,which makes linking sometimes awkward.

message 9: by Kate (new)

Kate Quinn | 549 comments Elizabeth Loupas's The Flower Reader has a slightly different take on herbalism - the heroine is a floromancer; someone who can "read" things about the present and the future in plants. It sounds odd, but it's an absolutely superb read.

message 10: by Gdaiva (new)

Gdaiva | 8 comments Kate wrote: "Elizabeth Loupas's The Flower Reader has a slightly different take on herbalism - the heroine is a floromancer; someone who can "read" things about the present and the future in pla..."

Very interesting, thank you!
I liked The language of flowers also, even there is not herbalism involved, still was very interesting

message 11: by Gdaiva (new)

Gdaiva | 8 comments Abigail wrote: "We're currently group-reading Year of Wonders, which has these themes. Sorry working on iPad,which makes linking sometimes awkward."

im still a newbie on goodreads activities, but i found it what you meant :), i'll check that book too, thank you!

message 12: by Sheila (new)

Sheila Myers I just picked up Year of Wonders looking forward to the read. I'm in search of any fiction or non-fiction on the rise of homeopathic medicine in the 19th century. Any ideas?

message 13: by Leonide (new)

Leonide Martin | 87 comments A fascinating story about herbal healing by ancient Mayas is told by Rosita Arvigo in The Oracle of Ix Chel. The tropical forests provided a wealth of medicinal plants, and these ancient healers knew how to use them effectively.

message 14: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne Rosenwasser (suzanne_rosenwasser) | 5 comments Since you don't mind self-promo, my novel, Don't Ya Know (Corycian Island Series Book 1) by Suzanne McLain Rosenwasser Don't Ya Know, has a character named Nuna Chepi Shellfoot who uses herbs and the signs of nature to ease the pains of a small Long Island community, 1900-1929.

message 15: by C.P. (new)

C.P. Lesley (cplesley) | 684 comments The heroine of The Altarpiece by Sarah Kennedy is a nun with a considerable knowledge of medicine, including herbs. The series continues with City of Ladies, which I am reading now and really enjoying, and The King's Sisters, due out next month.