Trail-Mix Readers discussion

Fun and Games > August Writing Prompt/Challenge

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jen (new)

Jen (jenius05) | 279 comments Mod
write a sentence, paragraph, or short story! Be as creative as you like and show us what you got!

photo astronaut on a bench_zps5pajq6ah.jpg

message 2: by Jen (new)

Ok, let me start :D

Reach for the stars, they said. Fuck them all, anyway.

Reynold's heart was broken. They'd left without him. He had been ready, but the damn traffic jam and then the security gate didn't recognized his ID badge!

Fuck them all!

message 3: by Marie (new)

Marie (naturechild02) I auditioned for that Stance Punks video.
Didn't make it.
Auditioned for that Simple Plan video.
Didn't make it.
I even auditioned for a cameo in the Awolnation lyric video.
But no.

Times being what they are, my next audition is not a music video for some auspicious band. No, things are a bit more desperate now.
I'm on my way to do a few photos for some indie author's book cover.
Depressing, right?

message 4: by Jen (new)

Marie wrote: "I auditioned for that Stance Punks video.
Didn't make it.
Auditioned for that Simple Plan video.
Didn't make it.
I even auditioned for a cameo in the Awolnation lyric video.
But no.

Times being wh..."

LMAO!!! Love it!!

message 5: by Marie (new)

Marie (naturechild02) Jen wrote: "Marie wrote: "I auditioned for that Stance Punks video.
Didn't make it.

..."

Hehe!

message 6: by Randy (new)

Randy Weir | 6 comments It's sad the only way I can keep from frightening away the pigeons is to wear this stupid outfit. And then I go and walk off without bringing the bag of bird food!

message 7: by Ryan (new)

Ryan Guy | 47 comments Mod
"Houston, this is Briggs in laundry. We have a problem."
"Stop calling me Houston, Briggs! It's still not funny."
"Fine, Larry, but there really is a problem. One of the suits is missing."
"Oh, yeah. About that. Commander Rogers said he wanted to take his home with him, so I told him he could. Actually I just didn't tell him he couldn't."
"Why would he want to take it home? Wasn't wearing it every day for two years in outer space enough?"
"Beats me, Briggs. He was mumbling something about a pigeon pooping everywhere and how he was finally going to outsmart it."
"Is it possible to outsmart a pigeon, Larry?"
"I'm not sure, but now I know it's possible to outdumb one."

message 8: by Gina (new)

Gina Moray (ginamoray) Love it Ryan! Ok her is mine, short and sweet:

Man I wish the bus would hurry up. My ride is leaving in T minus 40 minutes!

message 9: by Jen (new)

I love all these!!

R., I would do that!

Ryan, Funny as hell!!

Gina, ACK!!

message 10: by Phillip (new)

Phillip Stephens | 100 comments Jen wrote: " write a sentence, paragraph, or short story! Be as creative as you like and show us what you got!

"

I went to the moon and back and all I got was this damn bird.

message 11: by Jen (new)

Phillip wrote: "Jen wrote: " write a sentence, paragraph, or short story! Be as creative as you like and show us what you got!

"

I went to the moon and back and all I got was this damn bird."

It wont stop following me!

message 12: by Phillip (new)

Phillip Stephens | 100 comments Jen wrote: " write a sentence, paragraph, or short story! Be as creative as you like and show us what you got!

"

Once at the height of his career and life, Tom's best friend Ralph consoles him that the voices' directions will, in fact, take a turn for the better.

message 13: by Jen (new)

LMAO! Phillip!!

message 14: by Jen (last edited Aug 09, 2015 12:10PM) (new)

Next Writing challenge pic!

forest photo: foresthouse.jpg

Write a sentence, paragraph, or go all out and tell us a story!

message 15: by Phillip (new)

Phillip Stephens | 100 comments If she has an oven, Gretel, run like hell.

message 16: by Jen (new)

Phillip wrote: "If she has an oven, Gretel, run like hell."

But Hansel! I'm STARVING!

message 17: by Jen (new)

A little cottage sat in ruins in the midst of over-grown foliage, welcoming passersby with a crawling sense of creepiness running up their spines. Markus' thoughts on seeing the little place hung on sadness at its ruinous state and hope for what he would do to make it a home again.

message 18: by Marie (last edited Aug 10, 2015 02:23PM) (new)

Marie (naturechild02) “It looks like shit.”
“Shhhh, it’s perfect.”
“I agree with Morgan, it will do nicely.”
The Great Lord said nothing.
The four entered the ancient doorway and Morgan was quick to set about removing cobwebs and dusting off the lone chair that resided in the abandoned hut. The one-roomed home in the heart of the forest was so tiny it could almost be called a shed. There was not even a kitchen or bucket to piss in. Not that any of them needed such things. Vampires had no use for kitchens or bathrooms.

Leon smirked at her as she cleaned but Morgan paid him no mind. She was waiting for him to make a smart ass remark about her doing the “woman’s work” or some such since she was the only female in their small group. But Leon had been surprisingly lacking with his usual jokes in the past few days. As much as Morgan was happy to be free of his juvenile antics, the cause of his reform was nothing to smile about. Leon had played a part in her sister going mad, after all. And though he suffered for it, though she saw his regret clearly, she could not easily forgive him it.

“Here, Master,” Morgan offered the chair to The Great Lord but he paid her no mind. He merely stood in his blue jeans and white T-shirt, staring out the broken glass of the lone window, his face unreadable. Richard’s tall form slumped to the floor in the corner, cradling his injured arm. Leon too, sat as far away from the window as he could get. Dawn was coming.

“This reminds me of the War for Earth. All those days hiding out in dark buildings or burying underground,” the ginger-haired Richard remarked.

Morgan had never gotten to know him very well but he always gave off this pleasant aura of calm and understanding. He was a friendly guy who always looked out for his friends, never complaining when they showed up uninvited. He had ruled over his district well, known as the kind Lord who never hesitated to listen to his human’s troubles. And now even those humans who claimed to love him so were after him.

Leon made an unhappy noise in his throat. “I think I prefer the aliens hunting us. At least we could kill them without remorse. If we kill the humans off, how will we eat? Damn Euro-rebels, starting trouble! Bringing their fight and their crazy idea over here where it doesn’t belong. I’d like to see Lord Gerard have a go at them, I would.” His English accent became more pronounced as he cursed the humans but he grew silent when Lord Gerard turned to face them.

The Great Lord had changed his appearance to that of a human and Morgan didn’t like it. She was too used to his jagged ears and pointed chin and nose. Her master just looked… wrong like this. Again she gestured to the unoccupied chair and again he ignored it. His gaze fell on Leon instead. The young blonde vampire couldn’t help but squirm. Even disguised as a human, those eyes were intense enough to make anyone nervous.

“When night falls, you will find your made-child. Do not return without him. Do not abandon him again.”

Leon gulped and nodded, not daring to meet his black eyes. At the mention of Blayke, Morgan’s anger fired up once more. She was tempted to knock Leon into next Tuesday. Maybe she should break his wrist again. It had healed too quickly; the kid needed another reminder of how pissed she was at him. She could most certainly kill him as easily as squashing a bug. She leaned against the wall, hearing the creak of wood and the groan of the floorboards under her feet. This was neither the time nor place to start swinging fists and ranting about past mistakes. Gerard had gotten the point across pretty clearly without any signs of violence.

Instead, she breathed a sigh and tried to calm herself. Richard needed tending to. He needed blood to heal and hers was the strongest besides her master’s. She needed to take care of him now, just as he had taken care of Alexus. Until yesterday, when Alexus had taken care of him; ensuring his escape and dying in the process.
As bad as his arm was, Morgan knew the pain of losing his made-child was much worse. She’d heard that the feeling was like losing a limb. Alexus was his friend when she was human. The bond of master and child had brought them even closer. Now she was gone and he was suffering for it. It was an excruciating reality that she hoped to never experience. Exactly why she never planned to change a human.

“Find him,” Richard said to Leon, his voice low but commanding. “You were born a vampire, therefore you can’t understand how confused and tormented he is right now. This is a dangerous time for him and those around him. Find him and train him properly. It’s your duty.”

Leon nodded unhappily again. “I’ll take care of Blayke.”

Morgan ran a hand through her brown locks and glanced at her master but he had already turned back to the window. The sun was rising, making the sky near the treetops a yellowish pink color. The two nightwalkers immediately threw their backs against the far wall and pulled their knees up to their chins. As if they could shrink into themselves and escape the sun’s rays. Morgan glanced about for an old blanket or cloth or anything she could use to cover the window and protect her friends. But her master had already thought of them.

A wet sound came from The Great Lord’s direction and the immediate scent of blood had their nostrils flaring. Then Lord Gerard lifted his wrist and wiped it across the glass window. Covering the unbroken pieces in smears of blood, his wrist fell back to his side, the broken flesh healing before their eyes.

“It isn’t enough,” Richard whispered to Morgan but she shushed him.
“Watch,” she said, her eyes twinkling.
And sure enough, right before their eyes, the blood on the glass began to move. It seemed to spread more and more until every inch of glass was covered. Leon gasped when he realized that there was actually more blood there now, the cells multiplying on their own. Once the glass was covered, more began to drip over the empty areas. Staring at the missing chunk in the top right-hand corner, Leon felt his jaw drop as he witnessed the blood dripping upward. When the entire window was covered and no light could be seen through it, the blood began to dry and harden. In seconds, it was a solid piece of maroon, shielding them from the deathly rays of sunshine.

Morgan approached the window and thumped on the blood with her fingers. It made a hollow sound but didn’t give or shake. “Nice,” she said. Gerard said nothing but lightly walked over and settled in the creaky wooden chair.
Even after all these years, Richard and Leon were still dumbfounded by The Great Lord’s power. They could think of nothing to say so they remained quiet. Morgan, ever proud of her master’s feats, could barely hide her smile of glee as she approached Richard. Her super model figure hunched over the redheaded nightwalker.
“No worries, this place is a dump but we’ll be safe here. Now, let me see about that arm…”

message 19: by Phillip (new)

Phillip Stephens | 100 comments "Geez, Ed," Molly said, "You' ve done miracles with the place."

message 20: by Jen (new)

Marie! Wow! That was great! Thanks for the bit of escape!

message 21: by Marie (new)

Marie (naturechild02) Jen wrote: "Marie! Wow! That was great! Thanks for the bit of escape!"

Thanks Jen. :)

message 22: by Veronica (new)

Veronica Rosa (veronicadelrosa) Wow, that was fantastic, Marie. Amazing short story.

message 23: by Marie (new)

Marie (naturechild02) Veronica Del Rosa wrote: "Wow, that was fantastic, Marie. Amazing short story."

Oh, thanks Veronica. Vampires are kind of my thing. I'm working on two different series about them, hehe.

message 24: by Mary (new)

Mary Edwards (maryanneedwards) | 1 comments Jen wrote: " write a sentence, paragraph, or short story! Be as creative as you like and show us what you got!

"

A lonely pigeon strolls along an empty sidewalk, looking for something to eat. He stops and studies a lone figure sitting on a simple plain bench.

"Holy crap! I've flown to the moon!"

message 25: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine | 38 comments Love everyone's pieces!

Marie that was a wonderful read.

message 26: by Marie (new)

Marie (naturechild02) Rainne wrote: "Love everyone's pieces!

Marie that was a wonderful read."

Thanks! I think everyone wrote some fun and clever sentences for both pictures.

message 27: by Phillip (new)

Phillip Stephens | 100 comments Some great stuff here. Thanks to Jen for kicking off these games.

message 28: by Phillip (new)

Phillip Stephens | 100 comments Maybe it's time to fix the Weedwhacker.

message 29: by Phillip (new)

Phillip Stephens | 100 comments Jill said, "I told you not to leave the car keys out in the open. But, no, you had to finish the entire quart of Jack Daniels by yourself."
Jack said, "Goddam it, the guy told me the bean would grow one giant bean stalk by the morning. Not this."

message 30: by Jen (new)

LMAO! Phillip!!

message 31: by Jen (new)

Time for a new prompt!

How did this happen? Write a sentence, a paragraph or go all out and give us a short story! Be as creative as you like!

photo gilr in forest bed_zpswxuxdfjj.jpg

message 32: by Phillip (new)

Phillip Stephens | 100 comments Mom, remember those "nice Greenwater girls" you insisted I have for a sleepover?

message 33: by Phillip (new)

Phillip Stephens | 100 comments Mom, do you remember you told me, under no circumstances should I move the bed? I don't know what's going to make you madder.

message 34: by Jen (last edited Aug 12, 2015 10:07AM) (new)

LMAO! Phillip!

The rumble of the bed beneath her woke Charlize up. Immediately her heart began racing and fear squeezed a scream from her throat. Grabbing her blanky she found her knees. Cloudy sleep passed away instantly at that sight of a forest filling her room with trees. The soft pink carpet was eaten by the earth that now surrounded her bed. Her fear left her, replaced by wonder.

The tinkle of tiny laughter filled the room with heavenly joy. Her eyes widened when a ball of glowing light zipped right up to her face and stopped. A fairy hovered on wings that beat faster than a hummingbirds and waved manically with a wide toothy smile full of sharp teeth.

Charlize liften her hand to tough the beautiful creature, but when she did, the fairy bit her, chewing off a chunk of her flesh the size of a pencil head.

"Ouch!" she cried, pulling her finger away quickly.

The fairy grinned at her and zipped forward, taking a bite from her cheek.

"Stop it!" Charlize screamed.

She shouldn't have spoke. She shouldn't have moved. She shouldn't have even woken up. The room filled with glowing balls of carnivorous light, surrounding the little girl. She screamed again.

message 35: by Marie (new)

Marie (naturechild02) Jen wrote: "LMAO! Phillip!

The rumble of the bed beneath her woke Charlize up. Immediately her heart began racing and fear squeezed a scream from her throat. Grabbing her blanky she found her knees. Cloudy sl..."

Ooooh, scary! Awesome short story. My first thought when I looked at the pic was "faeries did this!" but you beat me to it. Hmm, I'll have to think of something else...

message 36: by Jen (new)

Thanks, Marie! It didnt start that way, it just ended up that way. Lol. My mind is twisted.

message 37: by Phillip (new)

Phillip Stephens | 100 comments Jen wrote: "LMAO! Phillip!

The rumble of the bed beneath her woke Charlize up. Immediately her heart began racing and fear squeezed a scream from her throat. Grabbing her blanky she found her knees. Cloudy sl..."

The moral being don't fu.. tease the fairies. (Sorry this is a children's tale)

message 38: by Marie (new)

Marie (naturechild02) Jen wrote: "Thanks, Marie! It didnt start that way, it just ended up that way. Lol. My mind is twisted."

Nothing wrong with twisted. Twisted is what I do and what I read. ;)

message 39: by Marie (new)

Marie (naturechild02) Phillip wrote: "Jen wrote: "LMAO! Phillip!

The rumble of the bed beneath her woke Charlize up. Immediately her heart began racing and fear squeezed a scream from her throat. Grabbing her blanky she found her knee..."

Haha, yes Phillip, faeries are not to be toyed with.

message 40: by Marie (last edited Aug 12, 2015 06:27PM) (new)

Marie (naturechild02) No one was prepared. How could anyone prepare?
It was quiet at first.
Those living on the outskirts of the cities were the first to notice. An elderly man was driving home from his daughter’s house around ten at night when suddenly the road before him began to crumble. Terrified, he slammed on brakes, swerving to the shoulder but he needn’t have feared. He was in no real danger. The asphalt was merely removed, replaced by lush, green grass. His car skidding to a stop, his hand flying to his chest, the man thought he would have a heart attack. Catching his breath, calming his mind, he watched as the grass took over the road, growing thigh high right before him. His terror was soon replaced by awe.
By midnight every paved road in the world was gone.

Then the vines came.
Seeming to spurt from random areas of the ground, leafy vines grew in minutes. They crept along the ground, wrapping themselves around every metal object they could find. Streetlights were covered in minutes and slowly pulled toward earth until wood and metal snapped. Once the lights were destroyed, they were gently lowered to the ground where the grass grew over them.
Cell phone towers, light poles, fences, even the Eiffel Tower suffered the same fate. Every metal structure created by a human was destroyed.

The trees took care of the rest.
Around five-thirty in the morning, just as the first rays of summer’s light were creeping over her windowpane, a young girl woke to strange sounds in her room. Breaking, ripping, crunching sounds. Curiosity overrode fear and she sat up in bed to see what was happening.
A tree was growing through her floor. She watched in wonder as it pushed through the floorboards, branches fanning out around her room. Pictures were knocked from the walls as the tree grew and spread itself out. A room that had seemed so large to the child now felt incredibly crowded and tiny. Another branch from a different tree broke through the wall over her bed. The dark-haired child merely watched, convinced that this was some elaborate dream. She couldn’t wait to tell her mother about it when she woke up.

The trees and vines worked together to crumble concrete bridges and tear down office buildings. The sounds of metal warping, glass shattering, concrete breaking, and wood splintering could be heard around the world.
Mother Nature was taking her world back.

But she was not cruel about it. Not a single human life was lost in the process. For every tree that crushed a house, another’s branches lifted its occupants to safety outdoors. If an apartment began to buckle and cave while people were still inside, vines would swiftly move in and cocoon them until it could push up and outward, moving them along the ground away from the debris. The barriers keeping exotic animals in zoos were removed, allowing them free reign over the lands. Lions and wolves raced across open fields where shops had once stood. Cows and horses ran free. And the humans were left homeless, jobless and for the most part, horrified.
How would they eat without grocery stores? How would they communicate without phones? How would they work without the internet? How would they protect themselves from the carnivores now loose in the cities?

Though Mother Nature hadn’t killed them straight out, it was up to them to survive now. It was time for a change.

message 41: by Scott (new)

Scott Borgman | 31 comments "I thought she'd be a little more excited about her birthday present. That's what she had asked for."

"Honey, when she said she wanted a trunk at the end of her bed, she meant a trunk to put her books and stuffed animals in."

message 42: by Jen (new)

Love it , Marie! Mother nature kicks ass!

Phillip, punny!