What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Suggest books for me > urban fantasy YA

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Zombieslayer⚡Alienhunter (theslayingisthunter) | 154 comments I really love Jim Butcher's The Dresden Files. it was my first venture into urban fantasy and Harry's pretty much my favorite MC...Ever.
I'm only on book 7 of 17, but, inevitably I'm going to finish it.
So. I'd really like recs for young adult urban fantasy.
Please do not recommend the following:
The Mortal Instruments. Already have the first book shelved.
Percy Jackson. Also shelved, but I'm not sure I still want to read it. I may remove it.
The Raven Cycle. Currently waiting on book 2!
The Chronicles of Nick. Shelved.
Harry Potter. Please. Don't.

Okay. :D
Anything young adult urban fantasy, not anything listed above.
I probably have others shelved that I'm forgetting, and that's most certainly not your fault. XD
Thanks!
-Z

message 2: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Wahle | 13 comments The Bordertown series! There are novels and short story collections. These are still my absolute favorite Urban Fantasy books.

Borderland (Borderland, #1) by Terri Windling
Bordertown (Borderland, #2) by Terri Windling
Life on the Border (Borderland, #3) by Terri Windling
The Essential Bordertown (Borderland, #4) by Terri Windling
Elsewhere (Borderlands) by Will Shetterly
Welcome to Bordertown (Borderland, #5) by Holly Black Never Never (Borderlands) by Will Shetterly Finder (Borderlands) by Emma Bull

message 3: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth | 7 comments Kim Harrison - the Hollows series - series is complete
Karen Marie Moning - the Fever series - 7/10 planned books have been released

message 4: by Kirstin (new)

Kirstin | 191 comments How about the Charlie Bone series or Wicked Lovely by Marissa Meyer.

message 5: by Joseph (last edited Aug 07, 2015 05:13AM) (new)

Joseph  (bluemanticore) | 441 comments I'm a Youth Services Librarian, for my young adult patrons reading Urban Fantasy, I often recommend:
Gina Damico's Croak series
Kimberly Derting Body Finder, The series
Lois Duncan's fantasy works
Tonya Hurley's Ghostgirl series
Robin LaFevers's Grave Mercy series
A. Lee Martinez's Gil's All Fright Diner and Helen and Troy's Epic Road Quest
Vivian Vande Velde
Rachel Vincent's Soul Screamers series, starts with My Soul to Lose

Zombieslayer⚡Alienhunter (theslayingisthunter) | 154 comments Wow!
Thanks everyone! :D
Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to spend the next hour pouring over those suggestions. XD
Thanks a million.

message 7: by Krazykiwi (new)

Krazykiwi | 152 comments Shadowshaper is a recent read for me and my teenage daughter, and was a big hit with both of us. Very contemporary, very urban, and highly recommended.

message 8: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (hydrolagus) | 94 comments How about the Peter Grant series, which starts with Rivers of London/Midnight Riot (depending on whether it's the UK or US edition)?
I hesitate to recommend them only because I wouldn't categorize them as YA, but if you like The Dresden Files they're definitely worth a look. There's an excellent audiobook version of them out as well.

Zombieslayer⚡Alienhunter (theslayingisthunter) | 154 comments Teresa wrote: "How about the Peter Grant series, which starts with Rivers of London/Midnight Riot (depending on whether it's the UK or US edition)?
I hesitate to recommend them only ..."

Oh, sweet. Thanks a ton. :D

message 10: by Hillary (new)

Hillary | 275 comments Magic Street was great.

message 11: by Valerie (last edited Aug 08, 2015 02:04PM) (new)

Valerie (valeriekemp) | 273 comments Hold Me Closer, Necromancer first of two
The Demon's Lexicon first in a trilogy
The Demon Trapper's Daughter first in a trilogy
Strange Angels first in a series of five
White Cat this trilogy is about magic so if you liked the Dresden Files I think you'll like this too
Daughter of Smoke & Bone is a great urban fantasy but the last two books in the trilogy move away from "our" world for the most part. Still really good books!
The Archived first of two, really good!
The Name of the Star first of three I think
Shade first in a trilogy
Shadowlands first in a trilogy
Altered first in a trilogy
Vampire Academy series and Bloodlines the companion series
Also, this is a little bit older than YA but you might like it: A Darker Shade of Magic

Zombieslayer⚡Alienhunter (theslayingisthunter) | 154 comments Valerie wrote: "Hold Me Closer, Necromancer first of two
The Demon's Lexicon first in a trilogy
The Demon Trapper's Daughter first in a trilogy
[book:Strange Angels|600..."

Whoa.
Thanks so much. ^-^

Zombieslayer⚡Alienhunter (theslayingisthunter) | 154 comments Hillary wrote: "Magic Street was great."

Thank you, it looks awesome. :D

message 14: by Ann aka Iftcan (last edited Aug 25, 2015 06:43PM) (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6972 comments Mod
Amanda Hocking has several YA UF series.

Since at least some of the books recommended by others are NOT YA, I'm going to add a few to that list.

Dying Bites

Jennifer Estep has both YA and adult series out. Check her out.

Gail Carriger, like Jennifer Estep has both YA and adult UF series. Hers tend to be funny.

Naomi Novik has a series that is set in Napoleonic England and Europe--but it's Napoleonic Era with a difference. Namely dragons. . . Great series, however, I'm going to offer a piece of advice--do NOT get the audio books--at least, not if it's the same reader as the first book His Majesty's Dragon because the reader is seriously annoying and speaks in a monotone--except when he's doing Temeraire (the dragon) and then he does this kind of high pitched, holding-his-nose-closed, annoying voice.

Lady of Devices is, I think more of an NA (18 to 23/24 age range) but you might enjoy it

Zombieslayer⚡Alienhunter (theslayingisthunter) | 154 comments Ann aka Iftcan wrote: "Amanda Hocking has several YA UF series.

Since at least some of the books recommended by others are NOT YA, I'm going to add a few to that list.

Dying Bites

[au..."

Thank you! ^-^
I'll check them out.

message 16: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (notemily) | 478 comments Not strictly YA, but neither is the Dresden Files: Seanan McGuire's October Daye series, which starts with Rosemary and Rue.

message 17: by Geli (last edited Aug 26, 2015 12:42PM) (new)

Geli | 18 comments If you want a similar hero and feel as Harry Dresden I can only recommend Fated by Benedict Jacka.
Even Jim Butcher recommended it and is a fan.

Zombieslayer⚡Alienhunter (theslayingisthunter) | 154 comments Sophie wrote: "Not strictly YA, but neither is the Dresden Files: Seanan McGuire's October Daye series, which starts with Rosemary and Rue."

Thank you.

Zombieslayer⚡Alienhunter (theslayingisthunter) | 154 comments Geli wrote: "If you want a similar hero and feel as Harry Dresden I can only recommend Fated by Benedict Jacka.
Even Jim Butcher recommended it and is a fan."

Thanks. ^-^

message 20: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6972 comments Mod
I'm going to suggest another series, that is mainly traditional fantasy, but is still a good series. Lawrence Watt-Evans's Ethshar series. The first book is The Misenchanted Sword: A Legend of Ethshar. This is, in a way, a prequel type story, since the rest of the series (although there is very little over-lap of characters) happen several hundred years after this book.