Beatdom discussion

William S. Burroughs
This topic is about William S. Burroughs
What is your favourite Burroughs book ?

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jimmy (new)

Jimmy | 1 comments What is your favourite Burroughs book ?

message 2: by David (new)

David Corvine (davidcorvine) | 8 comments Wild Boys.

message 3: by Jackson (new)

Jackson Kim | 4 comments Junky and Kentucky Ham

message 4: by Erika (new)

Erika | 1 comments Junky is amazing! I just got Naked Lunch and Queer in the mail so I'm going to be reading those soon.

message 5: by James (new)

James Newman | 1 comments Cities of the Red Night and Port of Saints stand out for me. Followed by Naked Lunch, Junkie and Queer.

message 6: by Bert (new)

Bert | 1 comments Junky and cities of the red night

message 7: by David (new)

David Corvine (davidcorvine) | 8 comments The Wild Boys.

message 8: by Jeremy (new)

Jeremy Standifird | 5 comments "Junky," "Queer," "And the Hippos were Boiled in Their Tanks" (with Kerouac). I haven't read his cut-up trilogy yet (Soft Machine, The Ticket that Exploded, Nova Express), but those are next.

message 9: by David (new)

David Corvine (davidcorvine) | 8 comments Jeremy wrote: ""Junky," "Queer," "And the Hippos were Boiled in Their Tanks" (with Kerouac). I haven't read his cut-up trilogy yet (Soft Machine, The Ticket that Exploded, Nova Express), but those are next."

I found the cut-up trilogy quite hard going. I believe by this stage WSB was influenced by An Experiment With Time by J. W. Dunne. The theory seems valid but it makes for an intensive reading experience.

message 10: by Seth (new)

Seth Kupchick (goodreadscomseth_kupchick) | 41 comments I really think the best thing Burroughs ever wrote was "Naked Lunch" and especially the vignette with Dr. Benway. It got his dark humor perfectly, and was both accessible as literature, and completely crazy! I know it was one of Burroughs's more legendary "pieces" but I think that's for a reason. I've sometimes wondered if the editorial work and typing of Kerouac didn't change "Naked Lunch" from what it otherwise might've been, like McCartney mellowing out Lennon just enough.

message 11: by Seth (new)

Seth Kupchick (goodreadscomseth_kupchick) | 41 comments Jeremy wrote: ""Junky," "Queer," "And the Hippos were Boiled in Their Tanks" (with Kerouac). I haven't read his cut-up trilogy yet (Soft Machine, The Ticket that Exploded, Nova Express), but those are next."

I read the "Ticket that Exploded" in my late '20's, and truly enjoyed it, though I couldn't even imagine reading it now. The whole thing was punctuated with dash marks and I took this as a cue that I could do this too, but I didn't have Burroughs's control of grammar, or punctuation, to pull it off. I mostly remember it as an alien homoerotic orgy, and the blue translucent skin of the aliens.

message 12: by Jeremy (new)

Jeremy Standifird | 5 comments David wrote: "Jeremy wrote: ""Junky," "Queer," "And the Hippos were Boiled in Their Tanks" (with Kerouac). I haven't read his cut-up trilogy yet (Soft Machine, The Ticket that Exploded, Nova Express), but those ..."

Which is why I've not read it yet... I've picked it up, held it, carried it around. But, then I decide that I need to have significant, designated time set aside to digest it slowly. It was the same with naked Lunch - though I truly enjoyed it. Especially his "Liquifactionists."

message 13: by Jason (new)

Jason Robinson (goodreadscomairliner) | 4 comments Junky

message 14: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine (jasmfox) | 1 comments My favorite would have to be The Cat Inside. I received it as a present on my seventh birthday.
When I was fourteen, a friend was viewing my book collection and when I told him that it was my favorite book I've ever owned, he loaned me his copy of Naked Lunch. I read it so much, carried it around my high school, and held it tight against my chest.
I became an avid Burroughs reader after that. I read Nova Express, Naked Lunch, Junkie, Port of Saints, and The Last Words of Dutch Schultz.
William S. Burroughs will always resonate with me...even though if I had met him he probably would've just scoffed at me.

message 15: by Jt (new)

Jt (overthemoonglow) | 8 comments i once read Burroughs Book of Dreams when i was younger. i could not grasp the esoteric vernacular. now i am older now, i think he's such a brilliant satirist. btw does anybody own a copy of "The Priest They Called Him" w/ Cobain & WSB? is it noteworthy? can u still purchase it online?

message 16: by Jérémy (new)

Jérémy Connor | 1 comments Soft Machine

message 17: by Jt (new)

Jt (overthemoonglow) | 8 comments you should check out William Gibson's No Maps without Territories dvd. he was heavily influenced by the Beat Generation especially WSB. i think the video is out of print now. i own a copy. it's quite mad, weird, and cool too. Cyberspace was invented not by Gore but Gibson. he he.