Lakeland Public Library discussion

Our Recommendations > Good Children's Novels

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angie (new)

Angie (masterofair) | 6 comments Any good Children's novel must reads?

message 2: by Angel (new)

Angel | 22 comments Mod
Are we talking all-time or 2015 titles?

message 3: by Angie (new)

Angie (masterofair) | 6 comments Angel wrote: "Are we talking all-time or 2015 titles?"

All time.

message 4: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 210 comments Mod
What reading level are you interested in? Chapter books, picture books or anything children's?

These are some children's books that I have enjoyed and recommend:

The Day the Crayons Quit by Drew Daywalt The Day the Crayons Quit by Drew Daywalt
The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein
The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1) by Rick Riordan The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan
The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate
Peter and the Starcatchers (Peter and the Starcatchers, #1) by Dave Barry Peter and the Starcatchers by Dave Barry
Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie
Timmy Failure Mistakes Were Made by Stephan Pastis Timmy Failure: Mistakes Were Made by Stephan Pastis
The Witch of Blackbird Pond by Elizabeth George Speare The Witch of Blackbird Pond by Elizabeth George Speare

message 5: by Angie (new)

Angie (masterofair) | 6 comments Amanda wrote: "What reading level are you interested in? Chapter books, picture books or anything children's?

These are some children's books that I have enjoyed and recommend:

[bookcover:The Day the Crayons Q..."

Thanks! Chapter books are prefered

message 6: by Liz (last edited Aug 10, 2015 10:30AM) (new)

Liz (lizlibrarylady) | 74 comments Miss Daisy Is Crazy! (My Weird School, #1) by Dan Gutman Miss Daisy Is Crazy!
This series is recommended for 4th graders.
Dinosaurs Before Dark (Magic Tree House, #1) by Mary Pope Osborne Dinosaurs Before Dark
This series is recommended for 2nd graders.
The Tale of Despereaux by Kate DiCamillo The Tale of Despereaux
An award winning book for 4th and 5th graders.
The Original Adventures of Hank the Cowdog (Hank the Cowdog #1) by John R. Erickson
The Original Adventures of Hank the Cowdog
A hilarious series for 4th to 5th graders.
I think only Tale of Despereaux would qualify for award winning. I really should read all the posts. ;p

message 7: by Angel (new)

Angel | 22 comments Mod
Okay, so in no particular order here are three children's novels that I think everyone should read.

1.Stargirl By Jerry Spinelli-I'm still learning lessons from this book.
Stargirl (Stargirl, #1) by Jerry Spinelli

2. Number the Stars by Lois Lowry- a fictional introduction to the Holocaust for children
Number the Stars by Lois Lowry

3. Jeremy Thatcher, Dragon Hatcher by Bruce Coville- Ok, so this may not be life changing, but it was such a good book to me. Apparently it also inspired Christopher Paolini's Inheritance Series.
Jeremy Thatcher, Dragon Hatcher (Magic Shop, #2) by Bruce Coville