Graphic Novel Reading Group discussion

Archives > Getting into Marvel comics

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Derick (new)

Derick (derickpabalan) | 2 comments Hi! I've been reading a DC/Vertigo these past few months and I've been wanting to try out some titles from Marvel. I read issues of The Amazing Spiderman (from Brand new day to dying wish) and I'll start reading Superior Spiderman after. Now, I'm a bit confused with comic book timelines so can people here guide me through? I mean can I read these titles without the tie-ins? Because that is what I really loved about DC's New 52, I can read a book without being confused because they don't do much tie-ins which I found Marvel always do when I read Spiderman.

Here are the titles I really want to read:

-Doctor Strange
-Iron Man
-Inhumans

thank you!

message 2: by Robert (new)

Robert Wright (rhwright) | 294 comments It depends on where you want to jump in with these characters/books. A Marvel Unlimited subscription helps, especially if you want to sample a variety of eras and storylines.

If you want current titles, this autumn will be a good jumping on point for many titles post-Secret Wars reboot.

For more classic storylines:

Dr. Strange: the first couple Essentials volumes, if you can find them. The Roger Stern run, especially with Paul Smith on art, around #65-73. A mini series called Flight of Bones.

Iron Man: Demon in a Bottle story. Pretty much #100-200. I'm going through it all going back to Tales of Suspense, but those early issues are a bit of a hard slog.

Inhumans: mostly worked best for me as guest stars in FF, or when Medusa or Crystal subbed on the team. Not a huge fan of the 1999 series, myself. I'm working up to more recent storylines.

message 3: by Tiamatty (new)

Tiamatty | 84 comments The upcoming Dr. Strange and Iron Man books, the ones launching after Secret Wars, look like they'll be self-contained. They will draw on some past stories, but you don't need to read those stories to understand.

Inhumans . . . yeah, you'd probably be able to just pick that one up, too.

message 4: by Derick (new)

Derick (derickpabalan) | 2 comments Thank you for the big help, guys! I'll surely try all your suggestions. Thanks!

message 5: by Tiamatty (new)

Tiamatty | 84 comments By the way, I would also recommend Ms. Marvel. Can't recommend that one enough. It's a fantastic series.

message 6: by Trike (new)

Trike | 110 comments Tiamatty wrote: "By the way, I would also recommend Ms. Marvel. Can't recommend that one enough. It's a fantastic series."

Second that. It's easily the best thing Marvel is currently publishing. I've been reading the trades, so I don't know if the comic has been subsumed into the Secret Wars thing (probably), but the first three TPBs are really terrific.

Note: Ms. Marvel is different from Captain Marvel. I don't really like the Captain Marvel books at all.

message 7: by Tiamatty (new)

Tiamatty | 84 comments Ms. Marvel is currently in the midst of a Secret Wars tie-in, but it's being done really, really well.

And I've actually thoroughly enjoyed KSD's Captain Marvel run. But it's all about personal taste.

message 8: by Lynda (new)

Lynda I've wanted to read comics for a long time, buy always felt so overwhelmed (in part due to my OCD nature, wanting to be a completest). In the end I decided to just jump in and picked up Captain Marvel (Marvel NOW!) #1, because I wanted to know more about the character before the movie came out. And, that was it, I'm now trying to get my hands on as mamy comics as I can afford and read.

message 9: by Gabrielle (new)

Gabrielle (ladyofbookscoffee) I was really excited by the release of the Deadpool trailer and I've been thinking that I want to start reading anything I could get my hands on with Deadpool to get to know the character better.