Read Runners discussion

Archives > Aug-September Read 2: The Old Man and the Sea

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sumit (new)

Sumit Singla (sumitsingla) Ernest Hemingway's classic - always a joy to (re)-read this one. Smallish book, but what an impact this has! The immortal tale of the old man and the marlin - and their being frenemies is one of Hemingway's greatest books.

Piece of trivia: Contrary to popular belief, the author didn't win the Nobel prize for this book. The Nobel is supposed to be awarded for the sum total of work done during a person's life, and not an individual work.

message 2: by Jarvis (last edited Aug 07, 2015 06:12AM) (new)

Jarvis People, i will start it on Sunday :)

Who all are reading it? :)

message 3: by Sumit (new)

Sumit Singla (sumitsingla) Count me in!

message 4: by Jarvis (new)

Jarvis When will you start? :)

message 5: by Sumit (new)

Sumit Singla (sumitsingla) I've actually read the book 2-3 times already, but can read again whenever. It's a book for 2 reading sittings. :)

message 6: by Jarvis (new)

Jarvis Okay then :)
I shall start on Sunday, still :P :D

message 7: by Vimal (new)

Vimal Thiagarajan (veeti) | 228 comments I'll start this sometime in the middle of next week :)

message 8: by Smitha (new)

Smitha (embeddedinbooks) | 2936 comments I found it very drab. Perhaps it was my mindset while reading it..

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

@Gehna I already raed it(It was in my college syllabus). My Prof told us the summary in class so when i was reading it i already knew what would happen next. So i didn't find it interesting but His short story Cat in the rain was awesome (also in my college syllabus). I wish you will enjoy it.

message 10: by Sumit (new)

Sumit Singla (sumitsingla) @Smitha - I loved the book. Hemingway's visual imagery and the conflict between the man and the fish was what made the story so beautiful and yet, so harsh. :)

message 11: by Shilpa (new)

Shilpa | 1059 comments Next week!! :)

message 12: by Smitha (new)

Smitha (embeddedinbooks) | 2936 comments Sum It, yes, I remember you saying so sometime earlier. :-)

message 13: by Gehad (new)

Gehad Elgendy Gehna wrote: "Okay then :)
I shall start on Sunday, still :P :D"

ready to start with you.

message 14: by Amritha (new)

Amritha | 371 comments Hi! Was away from GR and books for a while but I'm back now. I think I can start this in a day or two.

message 15: by Sumit (new)

Sumit Singla (sumitsingla) Heya folks, anyone begun/finished this yet?

message 16: by Gehad (new)

Gehad Elgendy I am beginning today.

message 17: by Hajarath Prasad (new)

Hajarath Prasad Abburu (hajarath) | 9236 comments I've started reading it :) Actually it's a reread so enjoying the book more :)

message 18: by Sumit (new)

Sumit Singla (sumitsingla) Same here, Harry. :)

message 19: by Amritha (new)

Amritha | 371 comments I'm starting now.

message 20: by Hajarath Prasad (new)

Hajarath Prasad Abburu (hajarath) | 9236 comments Finished :) Like many others I also believed that Nobel prize was awarded for this individual work :) But even if it was the case, I don't think many will actually question the decision :) Beauty lies in the brevity and thought provoking thoughts of the old man :) Gem of a book :)

message 21: by Sumit (new)

Sumit Singla (sumitsingla) Harry, it is a brilliant book, isn't it? :)

If you liked this, I also recommend The sun also rises and Hemingway's short stories.

message 22: by Hajarath Prasad (new)

Hajarath Prasad Abburu (hajarath) | 9236 comments Yes it's beautiful :)

Noted :) Will read them soon :)

message 23: by Gehad (new)

Gehad Elgendy Finished :)
Wish it would have lasted forever though :(

message 24: by Sumit (new)

Sumit Singla (sumitsingla) Finished :)

And once again blown away by Hemingway's prose.

message 25: by Hajarath Prasad (new)

Hajarath Prasad Abburu (hajarath) | 9236 comments With just 3 main characters and < 200 pages, Hemingway writes a touching novella with unmatched grace :)

message 26: by Sumit (new)

Sumit Singla (sumitsingla) Agreed, Harry! What do you think about the key characters in the book?

message 27: by Hajarath Prasad (new)

Hajarath Prasad Abburu (hajarath) | 9236 comments Old Man : You start liking him from the first page. Although he's old and weak (as portrayed), his mental strength is striking. His will power, adaptability and never say die spirit never comes across as exaggeration. I simply fell in love with that man and his thoughts. The justifications he gives for killing fish and his anger about sharks chasing the marlin are almost convincing. Right from the word go, I rooted for him and the ending brought tears to my eyes even the second time around. The Old man surely has so much left in him

Boy : He's good. Kind and charming. I suspected that the boy was actually a grandson of the Old Man. And that his parents left the Old man. The Old Man's longing for the boy shows how cool the boy is :) But understandably there was nothing much about him :)

Marlin : He sure has a brave and big heart. But his abrupt surrender and the terrible torture afterwards is shocking. It was truly sad to see the great marlin face such torture even after his fall.

No spoilers in my opinion so no spoilers tags :)