Perustopia Book Club discussion

Rook **may contain spoilers**

Comments Showing 1-50 of 74 (74 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Mahala 🦋 Blair (mahalathebookworm) | 25 comments Hey guys! I wanted to post some thoughts about the book, but realized that some in the other discussion haven't received their copy yet! So, to reduce the risk of accidentally spoiling someone, I made this other discussion. So. Hopefully here we can vent about any plot twists, things that pissed us off, or even just things that made us laugh with out spoiling anyone!

**THIS IS A SPOILER ZONE**

You have been warned.

Mahala 🦋 Blair (mahalathebookworm) | 25 comments Am I the only one who thinks it's rather funny that at the end of chapter one, LeBlanc thinks he knows who the Red Rook is. This haughty jerk thinks he's got everything figured out. "Turns out the Red Rook is just a man after all." HA oh Sophia, you are good. Im just so amused by the fact that he thinks he's one step ahead when in reality he's two steps behind! If thats the running theme of this book I'm gonna love it.

Mahala 🦋 Blair (mahalathebookworm) | 25 comments I'm in love with the fact that everyone thinks the rook is a man.

message 4: by Amber (new)

Amber King (ambrre_) | 13 comments Okay I'm kinda annoyed at the fact that Sophia becomes significantly less brilliant once René shows up. I mean ugh can't our strong female character stay strong even after a cute dude shows up? And omg how did she not know about Spear liking her??

message 5: by Nil (new)

Nil | 15 comments Finally was able to get the book today. I can't start it till Sunday or Monday because of booktubeathon. Most people seem to be enjoying the book so I'm definitely hopeful :). I'm not a huge fan of dystopian but I heard it's also historical fiction?? Maybe?

message 6: by lily (new)

lily  parker (lilyparker1234) | 19 comments ****SPOILER****

I kept thinking René was gonna turn out to be a bad guy and betray Sophia. Then when Spear showed Sophia "proof" that he had betrayed her I was thinking "no he can't be a bad guy", and I didn't believe it for a second. I finally, properly accepted that he wasn't a bad guy when we found out spear forged the document.
Also was it only me that was a bit confused because some places Sophia was called Sophia and others she was called Sophie?

message 7: by Amber (new)

Amber King (ambrre_) | 13 comments aaaaaaah otp confirmed

message 8: by Aadivah (new)

Aadivah (aadivah-is-awesome) I'm getting the vibe that this book is set after technology failed humanity, so why is everything so medieval?

message 9: by Cecel (new)

Cecel | 16 comments I thought that Sophia continued to be true to herself and relied heavily on her own instincts. I think it was totally natural for her to want to experiment with a romantic relationship, however I did not appreciate that whole you belong to me message they kept throwing around on both sides. It did get a little much for me in the last 100 or so pages after she just rushes back into his arms for no good reason.

message 10: by Katie (new)

Katie | 12 comments Stella wrote: "****SPOILER****

I kept thinking René was gonna turn out to be a bad guy and betray Sophia. Then when Spear showed Sophia "proof" that he had betrayed her I was thinking ..."

I thought that she ended up gathering her wits when it came to Rene later in the book. She definitely underestimated him, but I love the two sides of his character. However, I'm not sure if his "party boy" demure is actually a part of himself? Sophia says that it is, but the whenever he used it was when he was acting.

message 11: by Katie (last edited Aug 09, 2015 09:47PM) (new)

Katie | 12 comments Aadivah wrote: "I'm getting the vibe that this book is set after technology failed humanity, so why is everything so medieval?"

Because they basically outlawed any sort of technology. Anyone caught with it was executed or sent to jail. Everyone thought that technology was what caused the downward spiral of the world. They must have wanted to revert to the absolute basics. I don't understand the clothing though and why that came back into style. Maybe being there was no more machines to make clothes that used to be modern before they banned technology?

message 12: by Katie (new)

Katie | 12 comments Cecel wrote: "I thought that Sophia continued to be true to herself and relied heavily on her own instincts. I think it was totally natural for her to want to experiment with a romantic relationship, however I d..."

If you think about it though all characters have flaws and it makes them more human. Although that certain flaw is very much overused in literature.. However, taking her naivety into account its understandable I suppose.

message 13: by Cecel (new)

Cecel | 16 comments Yeah I actually really liked the relationship between Sophia and Rene. I thought that they really saw each other for who the other one was and truly cared for one another. I liked that she initiated their relationship and I appreciated that they were honest with themselves. It seemed like I condemning some plot points, but I actually appreciated that she rushes back to his arms for no reason, it showed that she has confidence in the decisions she makes and the people she surrounds herself with.

message 14: by Ramsha (new)

Ramsha Razzak | 10 comments Im at that point in the book where I dont know who should sophie trust... spear or rene.. ( I personally ship for sophie and rene :) )

message 15: by Kato (new)

Kato (stolenbybooks) (stolenbybooks) I just finished reding it and AAHHh I loved it!! I really loved the way the writer made me hate Rene in the beginning and how I endend up loving him! and I totally ship Rene and Sophia of course :)

message 16: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Hammett | 15 comments I really liked Rene and Sophia's relationship, I thought their conversations and the way they acted with eachother was very engaging. I also found as well that I liked most of the characters and the roles they portrayed, but I have to admit that the character of the book that more or less made me conflicted on the book as a whole was spear. He was such an irritating character, the way he reacted through out the book. As much as I shouldn't have, I kind of cheered when we found out he had died as he really infuriated me, in fact I was happier with his character resolution then when they killed Leblanc as I found Leblanc interesting. Also the one scene of the entire book that left me almost shouting at the character's in my room was when Sophia had left the Hasard's party to go to the prison and execute a plan that no one would be able to stop because of the forged signature, so what was rene and spear's decision when they discovered her to have left, and what did everyone stand by and watch them do? Not go after her straight away to try and intercept her and explain the truth to her, but to have a fight with each other, and then continue to stay at the house for a significant amount of time, get your arses after her, don't just try and have a who is more of a badass fight whilst she could be dying if you both claim to love her you idiots!! Anyway that was a bit of a rant, but overall I did still enjoy the book, I think my overall rating would potentially be higher if that scene had not occurred and Spear had a more rounded out character progression then just angry and brooding from the start of the book through till the end with the idea that by being broody and ignoring what Sophia was trying to tell him he would somehow eventually end up with her, and then for his opinion to never truly change all the way up to him dying. I understand that Spear was meant to be an annoying character for us and that it was the reverse of what happened with Rene where we loved then hated Spear, and likewise hated then loved Rene, but he was just too much of a sore point in the story for me.

message 17: by Katie (new)

Katie | 12 comments What I don't like though is that it's obvious who the author wants us as readers and the main character Sophia to like the most... Rene over Spear. I wish that Sophia would have considered him more, because she has known him for all of her life. She didn't seem to torn up about letting him down at all.

message 18: by lily (new)

lily  parker (lilyparker1234) | 19 comments Daniel wrote: "I really liked Rene and Sophia's relationship, I thought their conversations and the way they acted with eachother was very engaging. I also found as well that I liked most of the characters and th..."

I see what you mean with the Spear and René fighting scene. I didn't really think that much of it when I read it, but in hindsight I now see the lack of logic behind the scene.

message 19: by Cecel (new)

Cecel | 16 comments At first I really liked Spear, but then as the book progressed I found him possessive and arrogant. I agree the fight scene was aggravating. Towards the middle of the book I knew that either Tom or Spear was going to die and found Spear's death to be convenient rather than emotional. For two seconds I thought that Spear's death was wrapped up nicely until he was never mentioned again. During the resolution of the book I almost forgot that he was ever in the book until they kept mentioning his farm at the end. I thought that Tom was more loyal to him than Sophia ever was which did make me slightly sad and made me love Tom even more.

message 20: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Hammett | 15 comments I will admit that despite not liking the character of Spear, I really didn't understand the way that after his death, Sophia shrugged it off pretty much with one sentence. Now even with him having tried to kill Rene and being mislead in his thoughts, actions, and feelings regarding Sophia, having had them as well as Tom grow up together I would have thought she could of at least broke down a bit when she was told of his death, it didn't seem like a natural reaction the way she just swept it under the rug without giving it any other thought.

message 21: by Emily (new)

Emily | 3 comments I didn't like Sophie swooning over Rene at the start but once she got her act together she became a more believable heroine. On the plus side I thought Rene's uncles are brilliant characters!

message 22: by Cat (new)

Cat (smittens) Guys I honestly thought this book was so boring and long winded......

message 23: by Katie (new)

Katie | 12 comments Yeah the author could have definitely followed through with spear at the end of the book.

message 24: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (indigoblue777) | 2 comments I thought Sophie was a bit over-confident in the beginning. During the chess game, she never thought about Rene's moves, but focused on her own the whole time, like there was no possible way he could beat her.

message 25: by Katie (new)

Katie | 12 comments Really fast I just want to put out there that my book Nightingale by Kateleyn Huckle is up for giveaway! Check it out that would make my day people (: Sorry I don't mean to be spamming, but I'm so excited about it!
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

message 26: by Hannah (new)

Hannah H. (maron123) | 14 comments I really liked Spear at first but as the book progressed I started to dislike him. He did a lot of things that annoyed me. I didn't like how he just assumed Sophia would be happy with him and wouldn't even consider another guy. And I knew from the minute he showed Sophia the letter that it was forged and René didn't sign it. So that made me angry, and that action caused Sophia to change her plans and go alone resulting in her capture by Leblanc. THEN Spear tried to kill René and was just like "nah Sophia will forget about him and be happy with me,I'm cool with that". LIKE NO. However I did feel bad that his death was overlooked. But ultimately I did not like his character. One character I did love was Tom though! He was great!

message 27: by Monique (new)

Monique V | 5 comments the book was just ok for me the beginning of the book was really interesting and hooking yet towards the end i found my self just trying to get it over with. Spear became a very amazing character towards the end, honestly he did not contribute much to the over all story. I like Sophia and Rene together but i wish i would have gotten more time with them as a couple.

message 28: by Emily (new)

Emily | 9 comments I really liked this book. I thought LeBlanc was really arrogant and got what he deserved. I ship Sophia and Rene really hard. I would recommend this book to anyone who likes dystopian books.

message 29: by Aadivah (new)

Aadivah (aadivah-is-awesome) What is Allemande? Is it a person? Is it a place? I honestly have no idea, I'm so confused.

message 30: by Hannah (new)

Hannah H. (maron123) | 14 comments Allemande is a person he's the leader over Leblanc which is why Leblanc killed him so he good rule

message 31: by Aadivah (new)

Aadivah (aadivah-is-awesome) Hannah wrote: "Allemande is a person he's the leader over Leblanc which is why Leblanc killed him so he good rule"

Didn't reach the killing part yet but thats ok.

message 32: by Hannah (new)

Hannah H. (maron123) | 14 comments OMG IM SO SORRY I JUST ASSUMED OMG NOW I FEEL AWFUL BC I HATE WHEN PPL DO THAT TOO ME UGH IM SUCH AN IDOIOT IM SOOOO SORRY

message 33: by Mahala 🦋 (new)

Mahala 🦋 Blair (mahalathebookworm) | 25 comments I'm shipping Rene and sophia so much and I'm not even a hundred pages in... o.o

**Spoilers**

that part in the bunker/'sanctuary' C U T E. I mean I haven't got him figured put but he seems to at least some what care about her. I love that she kind of wants him against her own will and is in complete denial over it. lolol

message 34: by Mahala 🦋 (new)

Mahala 🦋 Blair (mahalathebookworm) | 25 comments Also I thought Spear was old... not old old but older than Sophia and Tom ? hm.. lol and what about Orla? how old is she supposed to be?

message 35: by lily (new)

lily  parker (lilyparker1234) | 19 comments Mahala wrote: "Also I thought Spear was old... not old old but older than Sophia and Tom ? hm.. lol and what about Orla? how old is she supposed to be?"

I don't know how old she is, Orla, but I imagined that she was an adult. Because she seemed wise, in a way an adult is wise. Idk

message 36: by Mahala 🦋 (new)

Mahala 🦋 Blair (mahalathebookworm) | 25 comments WHAT IS RENE UP TO??? Ugh. What is your angle bro? like he hasn't known Sophia long enough to be in love with her thats unrealistic at this point... so WHY is he "helping" her???

message 37: by Steven (new)

Steven Sanches | 4 comments Did not enjoy this one. I found the book to be boring, slow and it took me some effort to keep on reading it. When finally something happened, most of it was predictable (not everything, but most).

Kind of liked Sophie, she started out kind of bad-ass, but lost that very quickly. Did not like that René was smarter/better then ‘The rook’. If the book was more like the opening, I think I would have enjoyed it more.

message 38: by Aadivah (new)

Aadivah (aadivah-is-awesome) I am a little more than halfway through and I have got to say tht this is spiraling downward. Is it too much to ask for a badass heroine who doesn't let men influence her decisions? And that friggin love triangle! It started out amazing and still is pretty good but it would have been excellent if it wasn't for the added tropes.

message 39: by Aadivah (new)

Aadivah (aadivah-is-awesome) Hannah wrote: "OMG IM SO SORRY I JUST ASSUMED OMG NOW I FEEL AWFUL BC I HATE WHEN PPL DO THAT TOO ME UGH IM SUCH AN IDOIOT IM SOOOO SORRY"

It's ok Hannah, really, I don't mind getting spoiled. Now that I know more about Allemande, I kinda want him dead, Leblanc too.

message 40: by Hannah (new)

Hannah H. (maron123) | 14 comments I'm glad your not angry! I can't wait to hear the live chat at the end of the month about the book!

message 41: by Hannah (new)

Hannah H. (maron123) | 14 comments I'm glad your not angry! I can't wait to hear the live chat at the end of the month about the book!

message 42: by Mahala 🦋 (new)

Mahala 🦋 Blair (mahalathebookworm) | 25 comments There's gonna be a live chat? How does that work? Like, what is it?

message 43: by Nil (new)

Nil | 15 comments Spoiler and Question:

Just started this book and I've definitely been pulled in. I already love Sophie.... To be honest I had no idea she was the "Rook". I thought that was going to be a completely different character.

I'm just confused on one thing. Is this suppose to be futuristic or around what era?? I know there is talk of technology in the book but then it seems like a whole other time from way back.

message 44: by Aadivah (new)

Aadivah (aadivah-is-awesome) Nil wrote: "Spoiler and Question:

Just started this book and I've definitely been pulled in. I already love Sophie.... To be honest I had no idea she was the "Rook". I thought that was going to be a complet..."

It is set about 800 years into the future where there has been a shift of the magnetic poles that caused solar radiation to kill lots of people and has also somewhat destroyed technology, so they have reverted to very old ways.

message 45: by Nil (new)

Nil | 15 comments Ahh thank you! I sort of had that theory too but I was still not sure. Thank you!

message 46: by Aadivah (new)

Aadivah (aadivah-is-awesome) Nil wrote: "Ahh thank you! I sort of had that theory too but I was still not sure. Thank you!"

If my explanation is not too clear, you can skip to the author's note at the back, the world is explained there.

message 47: by Vevve (new)

Vevve | 6 comments when rene is in sophie's room and he just: "there are little blue flowers painted on the wall" and sophie replies "did you forget that im a girl?"

does that mean in tom's room theres trucks painted on the wall? x'D (im sorry i find it kinda funny )

message 48: by Mahala 🦋 (new)

Mahala 🦋 Blair (mahalathebookworm) | 25 comments Spear is getting on my nerves. I am starting to feel suffocated FOR Sophie.

message 49: by Ramya (new)

Ramya | 19 comments Really hated Spear in this book. He was just so possosive of Sophia and wanted her to settle down and be like a perfect house wife and that just wasn't gonna happen!! I never really hated Rene all that much though, even in the beginning.

message 50: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (abundanceofkats) Anyone else annoyed that Mr Halflife's Manchester accent was described as posh? Or is that just me?

Overall I did really enjoy this book, even if René was the only character that I liked from the very beginning. He gave me a kind of Zoro/Antonio Banderas feel which I really enjoyed. Honestly, I'm a little bit in love with him.
As for the rest of the characters...
Don't get me started on Spear. I'd hoped he wasn't going to be in love with Sophia, but of course he was and he was a bit of an arse about it as well. I'm glad Sophia was pretty straight about her feelings for him, even if he couldn't accept it. And I just couldn't bring myself to care when he died. Saw it coming a mile away.
As for Sophia, I really don't have much of an opinion of her. Sometimes I liked her and sometimes I didn't. I don't think she was anything particularly special, but that's just what I think.
I kind of felt that the ending sucked most of the character out of everyone anyway. It was a bit of a let down. Even my beloved René was not so impressive to me anymore. And I definitely did not like that Sophia was picked out for René from such an early age and for such a ridiculous reason. I just didn't buy it.

Still an enjoyable read though^^

« previous 1