Beta Reader Group discussion

Authors Seeking FREE Betas > Looking for readers

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Churchill | 34 comments Hello. I am only slightly into my second novel so far, about 170 pages in. I am looking for readers who will just read what I have so far and tell me what they think. Just a general opinion, if they like the story, if they want to read more, and if anything in the plot/characters they don't think is there. Keep in mind the novel is completely unfinished, so there will be many unanswered questions. I will explain and identify those if you are interested, before you read. Keep in mind I am NOT looking for an editor, and I am NOT looking to pay for anyone. I do not need anyone to make changes to grammar, etc at the moment.

Dubhaile Killian is one of the world's most dangerous criminals. He comes from a very traditional Scottish family, and lives on his own private island. Killian owns the most influential technological and weapons corporation in the world--Weltcourt. When he isn't doing business as his alternate identity, Rene Kale, he deals in the black market, selling illegal weaponry and inventions. He is the definition of a monster; he has murdered, raped, and is an alcoholic and drug addict.

What the world doesn't know, is that Killian has a young daughter named Elspeth. When Killian hires a woman named Abigail to teach and look after his daughter and their castle, he gets a woman who challenges him in every way possible, who eventually convinces him to change and be a better man. Abby becomes his best friend, but there's something off about her. When he asks about her history, she only gives vague answers. Killian suspects she is a spy, and though Abby has integrated herself in Killian's life for a reason, it's not for the reason he thinks.

message 2: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Churchill | 34 comments Sorry for the poor synopsis. I just made that up on the spot. There's a lot more to the story, and it's going to be a trilogy. The entirety of the novels deals with Killian's redemption, battling his inner demons, and finding love. It's a mix of genres: romance, erotic, drama, mystery, fantasy, science fiction..it has a bit of everything, really.

message 3: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (dawntice) Sounds interesting. Is this the first or second book in the trilogy?

message 4: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Churchill | 34 comments Dawn wrote: "Sounds interesting. Is this the first or second book in the trilogy?"

First.

message 5: by Nelly (new)

Nelly Cotto | 19 comments Hi Andrea, I am developing a manuscript evaluation business for women writers. I'm looking to evaluate several manuscripts for FREE to measure how well my formula works. Basically, the formula looks for: author's true voice, story's viability, fractures, strengths, story's essence (theme), and how well rooted the events and characters are in story's essence. Is this something you'd be open to? If so, how many words is your manuscript? Nelly

message 6: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Churchill | 34 comments Nelly, yes I'd be interested! So far it's about 170 pages I'm not 100% on the word count. I can check when I get home. I'm at work right now. If you want you can email me at andreachurchillbooks@yahoo.com

message 7: by Nelly (new)

Nelly Cotto | 19 comments Ok, I'll email you with details for sending me your manuscript.

message 8: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Churchill | 34 comments Thanks!

message 9: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Feltner | 44 comments Nelly wrote: "Hi Andrea, I am developing a manuscript evaluation business for women writers. I'm looking to evaluate several manuscripts for FREE to measure how well my formula works. Basically, the formula look..."
Hi Nelly, I hope it's not inappropriate to do this but I'll give it a try anyway. I'd love for you to give my MS a look. I have just started on the 7th chapter. It's contemporary/new adult and I feel like I'm coming along in learning how to do this thing...lol I could use what you're offering very much. Let me know if you're interested.

message 10: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Feltner | 44 comments Andrea wrote: "Hello. I am only slightly into my second novel so far, about 170 pages in. I am looking for readers who will just read what I have so far and tell me what they think. Just a general opinion, if the..."
Hi there Andrea. I'm a writer too and your MS sounds interesting. I'd like to read for you. I've only done beta reading a few other times but I'd like to help if I can. It would be great if you could return the favor but I'm fine with it if you're not into that. I'd like to read for you either way. Let me know if your interested.

message 11: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Churchill | 34 comments Debbie wrote: "Andrea wrote: "Hello. I am only slightly into my second novel so far, about 170 pages in. I am looking for readers who will just read what I have so far and tell me what they think. Just a general ..."

Sorry for the delay, Debbie. I haven't checked with Goodreads in a while. Go ahead and e-mail me at andreachurchillbooks@yahoo.com with the information for your book (synopsis and approximate length) and I'll take a look if you read mine! I'm not looking for anything intense. I just want you to let me know if you like it and what the major questions or issues are, that stand out to you the most.

Can't wait to hear from you!

message 12: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Feltner | 44 comments Andrea wrote: "Debbie wrote: "Andrea wrote: "Hello. I am only slightly into my second novel so far, about 170 pages in. I am looking for readers who will just read what I have so far and tell me what they think. ..."

Hi Andrea, it's been a while and I'd forgotten about offering...lol I wasn't as busy back then but I'm swamped right now.. It seems like everything that needs my attention has hit all at once. I hope you understand. I wish I could help but I'm just not able to right now.

message 13: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Churchill | 34 comments That's okay. I'm obviously still working on my manuscript so let me know when you are free!