Harry Potter Read Along discussion

Chamber of Secrets Discussion

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elle (new)

Elle | 20 comments Miss Renny wrote: "Book 2!

I've just started and I gotta say, I love the Weasleys more and more every time I read a scene with them."

The Weasleys are terrific. The altercation between Mr Weasley and Lucius Malfoy was particularly memorable. My favourite Weasley is Ron, of course, but Mr Weasley is a close second.

Do you have a favourite Weasley, Miss Renny?

message 2: by Elle (last edited Aug 10, 2015 06:25PM) (new)

Elle | 20 comments Many things about the films disappointed me, but that's another thread altogether!

ETA: Isn't Lockhart the epitome of entertainment?

message 3: by Elle (new)

Elle | 20 comments I have to agree, Tris - Harry is decidedly less sassy in the films than he is in the books. I noticed a lot of his dialogue was given to Ron, too. It's a shame, really, because Harry in the films ended up not being as balanced and realistic as Harry in the books.

Anyone up to the Duelling Club yet?

message 4: by Elle (new)

Elle | 20 comments Snape, or the portrayal of Snape by JKR, is really rather brilliant. He remains a mystery for most of the series, which is quite a feat.

Lockhart in the movies didn't really get enough screen time to fully flesh out his character. He is, however, marvelous in the books.

And how about Draco in this book? I found him particularly repugnant...

message 5: by Elle (new)

Elle | 20 comments Couple of discussion points (SPOILERS):

How does everyone feel about the revelation that Ginny opened the Chamber of Secrets?

Did a couple of twelve-year-olds beating an ancient monster seem plausible to you?

Did Harry and Ron deserve special awards for services to the school? What about Hermione?

message 6: by Elle (new)

Elle | 20 comments Thank you for humouring me, Tris!

I agree about the internet parallel with Ginny- good observation!

Yes, the movie dragged out that scene way too much. It seemed plausible to me, in the way that the Trio getting through the many obstacles protecting the Philospher's Stone seemed plausible: a little smarts and a lot of luck.

I tend to agree with you again, Tris; the boys broke every rule in the book and still got rewarded. If a Slytherin did it, they'd get detention. I also agree that the stereotyping and Slytherin bashing is completely unbalanced and often unfair.