What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > nonfiction book similar to At Home by Bill Bryson

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Grace (new)

Grace (oddlyaware) | 8 comments Read this book before 2011 and I believe it was not an old book at the time. I went and read Bill Bryson's At Home thinking it was the same book but it was not. So this book also begins in the home, going from room to room. Of note I remember the author gets into details about:

- The mites living in his sheets and carpet
- The way the house shifts every day, imperceptibly to us.
- Milk: it is composed of proteins that are shaped like little cabinets, floating in water, which gives it the 'milky' appearance. And spoilage is due to bacterial feces.
- The coke and chips his wife consumes after coming home from work

It is very detail oriented. Sometimes you forget he is talking about the items in his house because he gets so into it. Rather interesting. Anyone recall such a book?

message 3: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Love | 1088 comments Maybe At Home: The American Family 1750-1870, although the author is a woman, Elisabeth Donaghy Garrett.

At Home: The American Family 1750-1870

message 4: by Grace (new)

Grace (oddlyaware) | 8 comments I checked the lists and titles, not any of the above are it.

It's very much a science for laypeople book, rather than a history or relationships book.

message 6: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38154 comments Mod
When I input some of your words (mites carpet sheets coke chips milk proteins cabinets) into google books, this came up but it doesn't seem to be on Goodreads.

https://books.google.com/books?id=9Zd...

message 7: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38154 comments Mod
Grace, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

message 8: by Grace (new)

Grace (oddlyaware) | 8 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "Grace, are you still looking for this or did you find it?" Hello no, I still haven't found it. But I had forgotten it was not 'At Home' so it was nice to see my own question again from a while ago.

message 10: by Grace (new)

Grace (oddlyaware) | 8 comments Rosa wrote: "House Thinking: A Room-by-Room Look at How We Live?"
Thanks Rosa. I took a book at your book & it is not the same book. The book I am looking for was written by a male author. But thank you!

message 11: by Rosa (new)

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 5093 comments Whoops, I should have realized. Any more leads?