Classics for Beginners discussion

Archive 2015 > August 2015: The Island of Doctor Moreau

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ☯Emily , moderator (last edited Aug 05, 2015 04:38PM) (new)

☯Emily  Ginder | 772 comments Mod
This is thread for discussing August's selection, The Island of Doctor Moreau, by H. G. Wells.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen)  (gatadelafuente) | 614 comments Mod
Thanks for setting the thread up, Emily!

message 3: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I've read this last year. I read it before I read a young adult thriller that was inspired by it: The Madman's Daughter by Megan Shepherd.

I love H.G. Wells!

message 4: by Myst (new)

Myst | 58 comments I'm trying to read 3-4 classics atm and Dr. M is calling me to read as the story just seems to move. It doesn't stagnate like Don Quixote seems to or Vol. 1 of Edgar Allen Poe.

So I'm saving it for the end of my daily quota reading as a reward for hitting the daily sections of DQ and EAP.

message 5: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 5 comments This is one story that continues to horrify me years after reading it. The premise is truly frightening

message 6: by Kjs (new)

Kjs | 14 comments I am enjoying the book so far.It is a short book. I plan on reading some of his other books too. This is the first book I have read by H.G.Wells.

message 7: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Really, @Kjs? You are in for a treat! My favorite is The War of the Worlds.

message 8: by Kjs (new)

Kjs | 14 comments I loved that movie. I have seen the movie Time Machine and The Island of Doctor Moreau. The book is always better than the movie so I figured if I liked the movie I will love the book.

message 9: by Louise (last edited Aug 07, 2015 11:07AM) (new)

Louise Read this about two or three years ago and really enjoyed it - rated it 4.5 at the time and reviewed it here (does go into some plot details, no major spoilers I think).

Really good creepy atmosphere and horrible, horrible, premise (in the good way!). Reads almost more like a horror novella than a sic-fi one.

The one thing I really didn't like about this book though, and probably the thing that I unfortunately remember best about it, was the racist way that some of Doctor Moreau's experiments are described. I found it deeply unpleasant to read. The plot itself though and the rest of the writing I thought was great.

Still need to read more H.G. Wells, I've got another couple of his lying around at home that I never seem to get round to picking up.

message 10: by Catherine (new)

Catherine (catjackson) Louise wrote: "Read this about two or three years ago and really enjoyed it - rated it 4.5 at the time and reviewed it here (does go into some plot details, no major spoilers I think).

Really good creepy atmosph..."

I agree with you that the book had some racist overtones. That is probably due to the time frame in which it was written, but reading it today they really stand out.

message 11: by Louise (new)

Louise The time period it was written in certainly plays a part, yes, I doubt anyone would write it in that way today without making very clear that the character saying it was meant to be awful.

And the language does (when it comes from Doctor Moreau rather than the narrator) fit with the nature of the themes of the book - a critique of the morals of a certain sort of science and scientists. Especially considering the eugenics movement that was super popular (and super disgusting) in the late 1800s and early 1900s. I can easily see Moreau buying into that theory and describing the experiments in such a way. It's when the narrator, who is the 'everyman' of the book, says/thinks similar things that give me most pause.

message 12: by MJ (new)

MJ | 1 comments I started reading this a while back and then tried to watch the movie. The movie gave me nightmares so I stopped reading the book. When I saw the group was reading it, I decided to pick it up again. I am glad I did. The story left my stomach with a weak weird feeling but I loved how H G Wells wrote the ending. I won't give anything away but it makes you think....

message 13: by Lesley (new)

Lesley | 19 comments I'm at p.35 and really liking it. Hope to finish it today.

message 14: by Heather L (last edited Aug 20, 2015 01:50PM) (new)

Heather L  (wordtrix) Kirsten *Dogs Welcome - People Tolerated" wrote: "I read this last year. I read it before I read a young adult thriller that was inspired by it: The Madman's Daughter by Megan Shepherd."

I was wondering if that book was inspired by this novel. I think I have that on my ereader. I finished "Moreau" yesterday. Very creepy. I had some weird dreams last night. Nothing I can really recall now, and not scary, I just remember thinking they were creepy.

message 15: by Kjs (new)

Kjs | 14 comments I finished the book.I really enjoyed it.Some parts of the book was tense. I'm looking forward to reading his other books.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen)  (gatadelafuente) | 614 comments Mod
I started this, but I've been caught up with some other books. It's pretty darn creepy and disturbing what Moreau is up to, especially hearing the puma's cries and how they became more human.

I finished this today. I think it's pretty disturbing and a good cautionary tale about crossing ethical lines in scientific experimentation. I felt so bad for those poor animals.

MJ wrote: "I started reading this a while back and then tried to watch the movie. The movie gave me nightmares so I stopped reading the book. When I saw the group was reading it, I decided to pick it up aga..."

I agree about the weak feeling. I had an icky feeling when I was reading this as well.

Louise wrote: "The time period it was written in certainly plays a part, yes, I doubt anyone would write it in that way today without making very clear that the character saying it was meant to be awful.

And the..."

That's good insight. Wells seems very prophetic about scientific experimentation.

Louise wrote: "The time period it was written in certainly plays a part, yes, I doubt anyone would write it in that way today without making very clear that the character saying it was meant to be awful.

And the..."

I agree about the racist undertones. Common in classic literature, but not desirable.

message 21: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Heather L wrote: "Kirsten *Dogs Welcome - People Tolerated" wrote: "I read this last year. I read it before I read a young adult thriller that was inspired by it: The Madman's Daughter by [author:Meg..."

It's a trilogy and each book is inspired by a different classic. The 2nd book is inspired by DR JEKYLL AND MR HYDE and the 3rd is inspired by FRANKENSTEIN.

message 22: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) wrote: "Louise wrote: "The time period it was written in certainly plays a part, yes, I doubt anyone would write it in that way today without making very clear that the character saying it was meant to be ..."

Yes, but I think you have to realize that each book is in some ways affected by their times. If I got upset every time, I read sexist passages in books...