Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

De broncode
This topic is about De broncode
Book Issues > Incorrect cover

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Rhialto | 8 comments The cover shown for this book "De Broncode" by Eric Smit looks like some kind of prank. That windows logo and the photo of the skeleton and the monitor aren't on my copy, and it seems rather unlikely to me that a different edition would have added that. It's not about MSWindows.

http://www.bol.com/nl/p/de-broncode/1... shows the correct cover.

message 2: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl How weird, a swastika too.

message 3: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 42444 comments Mod
Bol.com is not a site we can use for covers or other book data. Fortunately, Amazon has the new cover as well.

The existing cover is probably the original 2004 cover. Authors/publishers put all kinds of weird things on covers.

If no other librarians has added an alternate-cover edition in the next few hours, I can do so at that point.

message 4: by Michael (new)

Michael Korleone (michaelkorleone) | 3881 comments Created ACE with details from Amazon.

Rhialto | 8 comments Well, I have the 2004 edition (second printing) bought in 2004, and it has the Bol/Amazon cover, no swastika. (Dutch publishers don't put swastikas on books that aren't about nazis). And Microsoft likely would sue them for associating them with nazis by putting the swastika in their logo. So I strongly doubt that this is a cover that has appeared in print.

message 6: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13731 comments Rhialto wrote: "Well, I have the 2004 edition (second printing) bought in 2004, and it has the Bol/Amazon cover, no swastika. (Dutch publishers don't put swastikas on books that aren't about nazis). And Microsoft likely would sue them for associating them with nazis by putting the swastika in their logo. So I strongly doubt that this is a cover that has appeared in print."

Agreed. I think someone amused themselves with Photoshop.

message 7: by Renske (new)

Renske | 10805 comments I think it is also a strange image. You can see that the image behind the skeleton and Windows logo is the same face as on the other cover. And the swastika on the Windows logo looks also very unprofessional made. As said the book is not about Microsoft/Windows. (The last part of the tag line says only 'why [person] didn't become the next Bill Gates' as it is about a supposed invention that if it was true those people could have earned lots of money)
I can only find this cover here on Goodreads and nowhere else.

message 8: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 42444 comments Mod
The librarian who is the source of the old cover cannot vouch for its accuracy. So go ahead and remove it.

(It can be found on other sites. None we would use as cover sources, though.)

message 9: by Michael (new)

Michael Korleone (michaelkorleone) | 3881 comments Replaced cover and merged ACE with its ISBN edition.

message 10: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13731 comments Great! :)
Podium is a serious publisher, they wouldn't put out a cover like that. If the worst had come to the worst, we could have contacted them about it.