Amazon Editors' YA Book Club discussion

US versus UK and Europe

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Spencer (barbara_spencer) | 3 comments Do US audiences appreciate the same books as UK audiences? That is something that really intrigues me. I know books that because US bestsellers usually are popular in the UK but does it go the other way too? (The Help to name a great example of something that is particular to the US). I should be interested in your views because I have a bet on with myself that Broken won't make in the US.

message 2: by Janene (new)

Janene Murphy (janenemurphy) | 28 comments There were these Harry Potter books that acquired a small following here in the US. ;) But seriously, that is a good question. I don't come across a lot of news on what books are hot in the UK. Are you talking about the book by Daniel Clay?

message 3: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Spencer (barbara_spencer) | 3 comments We very much underestimate the exchange between US and UK and even Europe. Best sellers from the US all make it here, from The Help to The Wimpy Kid while The Book Thief and Inkheart to name but two have come from Europe and we regularly export, Enid Boyton, Terry Pratchett, Rick Riordan, Anthony Horowitz, Philippa Gregory the US with Sweden and Norway added thriller writers like Llarson. And what about Suite Francaise - yet another european export

message 4: by Janene (new)

Janene Murphy (janenemurphy) | 28 comments With those names thrown out there, I'd say there is quite an exchange! Riordan is huge with the younger crowd here. Pratchett is well-loved by the quirky sci-fI crowd and Gregory is one of the queens of historical romance. And if you're talking about Stieg Larsson, the Dragon Tatoo series played big over here a few years ago and remains a top read. Go Europe!

message 5: by Beatriz (new)

Beatriz | 10 comments In Brazil - and I know that's not really what you are asking but why not put a bit of Latin american input out there - we get a lot of both. Cornelia Funke is amazing, Rick Riordan is loved - and I do mean LOVED, we have fan meetings almost every weekend that gather hundreds to play catch the flag - there is also Lord of The Rings, Narnia, and a bunch more, and the US books are also very big here. We are actually the biggest fandom for Hunger Games i think, that's why we get the movies first. The only thing is that they are not imported or exported as much, because we have translation/publication deals so instead of bringing the originals here our editors buy the rights and make their own versions.