What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > YA Romance-ish Novel About Girl Finding Male Selkie

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Graverunner (new)

Graverunner | 1 comments Ok, this is seriously driving me nuts and I'm really sorry if the info I give is really scarce/general because I've read it a long, long time ago and I've tried plugging every iteration I could of "male" "selkie" and "ya" into google and still no luck.

As the title says, it's a young adult novel about a girl who finds a male selkie washed up ashore, but I... am not too sure whether the word "selkie" was ever used in the novel? She does take away some sort of seal skin pelt from the washed up youth in any case and then proceeds to nurse him back to health. Unfortunately, other than that the book also has a one-word title, that is all I can remember.

I do however recall reading the sequel and there was this weird tangent to the plotline that had her leaving the selkie male and going off to join another clan in order to be stronger? And at one point she has this weird vague romantic interlude with a blind boy there as well? And part of her training involved making clay pots

Once again I apologise for the descriptions being so sparse/weird but that is all I can manage to scrounge up from my non-cooperative memory

message 2: by Wren (new)

message 3: by SBC (last edited Aug 18, 2016 08:43PM) (new)

SBC (essbeecee) | 879 comments I'm not sure if you are still looking for this but I think this is definitely Betsy James' Seeker Chronicles :)
https://www.goodreads.com/series/5537...

In the first book, Long Night Dance, she tends to the washed up male selkie (you're right, I don't think he's ever defined as a 'selkie' though, they have some other kind of name) and in the second book, Dark Heart, she goes to live inland with her mother's family where she is trying to be stronger and discover her true self and go through their coming of age trial. The men of the clan are weavers and there is a romance with a male character who is blind.

message 4: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38155 comments Mod
Graverunner, are you still looking for this or did you find it?